Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Spider-man 2 is cool

Spider-man 2 is cool
MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 08:31 AM

So, does anyone else find Spider-man 2 a cool game? I've been playing it for a bit on my 1.33 ghz G4 12in Powerbook with 768 RAM, and the game itself runs just fine. The cut scenes kind of skip a bit, but whatever.

The ability to do whatever a spider can, makes for one cool game. Please, discuss.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 01:23 PM

Is there are demo? How are the controls? Can you use a controller?

The iMac Man
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2004, 04:19 PM

There is a demo, but currently only .Mac members can get it.

I dunno, it's a decent game... the demo was kinda fun, but I just don't see myself buying it.
-iMac
(The PC to Mac CoD Mod Converter)

Get Mac Game Mods Here: Macologist.org

redJag
Senior User
Sep 28, 2004, 12:46 AM

Are .Mac members issued trial cd keys or can you post the file for us to download? :-D
Travis Sanderson

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2004, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
Is there are demo? How are the controls? Can you use a controller?
Keyboard and mouse. Works just fine for me. The controls are very simple and easy. You need a two button mouse though. Its a must.

bedoughty
Oct 3, 2004, 11:02 AM

The game's a blast. Every now and then I get a slight feeling that it was made for a younger audience though. Like when they give you a puzzle to solve and make it just a tad too easy. But swinging around town, and a few plot twists that build on that, make the game an absolute blast. .Mac members don't get a special serial or anything, but they do get a discounted purchase price of $20 if they wanna buy, which was more than worth it to me.

If anyone's interested I'm thinking of selling my official copy on amazon. PM me or post to this thread if you are.
-
this isn't who it would be
if it wasn't who it is
-T.Anastasio

Minch_Yoda
Oct 3, 2004, 12:39 PM

the demo is .mac only and if i remember correctly there releasing the demo to the public on the 7th of november but if you really want the demo i know the demo is on p2p networks and BT but if your going to pirate a demo that will soon be free for the public why not go for the real thing or at least the people who are willing to pirate the demo will see it that way as for me my copy should arrive in the mail within the week and i rented the xbox version for 7 days at the movie gallery im set

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by Minch_Yoda:
the demo is .mac only and if i remember correctly there releasing the demo to the public on the 7th of november but if you really want the demo i know the demo is on p2p networks and BT but if your going to pirate a demo that will soon be free for the public why not go for the real thing or at least the people who are willing to pirate the demo will see it that way as for me my copy should arrive in the mail within the week and i rented the xbox version for 7 days at the movie gallery im set
Is this a port of the console version of the game or a port of the horrible PC version?
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2004, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by riotge@r:
Is this a port of the console version of the game or a port of the horrible PC version?
I think its a port of the PC version, which isn't as cool as the console version.

Minch_Yoda
Oct 6, 2004, 07:00 PM

they are slightly different to accommodate the consoles having no mouse or keyboard

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2004, 08:28 PM

the PC/Mac version of this game is absolutely horrible. I played the console version just a tad at Best Buy and thought about buying it... played it on a friend's computer and it just made me sick. You really lose a lot of the freedom you have in the console version and (because?) the controls are dumbed down so much. Fighting is boring and repetitive after very little time. I even encountered a glitch within 2 minutes of leaving the tutorial level, although I didn't know it at the time... basically made the first mission impossible to complete.

Luckily, I hadn't saved over my game since completeing the tutorial... because you CAN'T save whenever you want. It saves a certain times during the game, and you have no control over it... ie you can't tell it to create a new save because that last level was really fun and you might want to do it again. Good thing none of the levels are worth replaying.

"Zipping" and wall-crawling seem to be the most important features to keep in mind when playing this game... getting around, finding special things, et cetera. Unfortunately, some objects inexplicably cannot be zipped to. Even more frustrating, Spidey will flat out refuse to crawl over certain sections of wall, and the textures/models give no reasonable idea of which areas will work and which won't.

Opening cut scene looked really nice... I was impressed. Perhaps it was the equivalent of a cinematic, although the quality was that of a good cut scene or a pretty crappy cinematic. Subsequent cuts (that I saw) were VERY sub-par by today's standards... heck, sub-par by 2001 standards.

If you have a console, don't even bother with the demo of the PC/Mac version... if you don't, then you should definitely try the demo first.

If you want a game of this genre, I'd suggest Oni... much better game. Lot of the same elements (run around in large areas, meet small objective to give you access to another area so you can meet another objective, et cetera), similar ambiance, other similarities. However, the combat system in Oni is MUCH better, and the graphics aren't much worse. The controls in Spider-Man 2 are so horrible that it even takes away the advantage that you're spider-man with all his cool abilities. You are a version of Spider-Man that can swing through the city as long as somebody put up giant checkpoints specifically for you to swing between, a Spider-Man that has to run his cursor over a wall to see if he can zip to it, a Spider-Man that inexplicably refuses to crawl in certain places.

Yeah, you can only move around and climb up walls (and possibly zip) be default. To attack, swing, shoot webs, or anything else, you have to have a valid target under your cursor. In the part of the game I played, you weren't even allowed to use impact webbing, although from what I've heard other parts of the game let you use it (because your enemies are robots, so it is morally acceptable to do so, perhaps?)

Oh, and the in-game sounds are utterly horrible.

This is definitely a kids' game (ages 6-12 or so perhaps)... along the lines of say the newer Ninja Turles type games... very simple, very bright, and very clear that the in-game violence is cartoony and probably only results in unconciousness, unless your enemy is a robot of some sort.

Wait, I can't compare it to those games... those games were good.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2004, 01:48 AM

I think it's pretty good, the controls do kind of suck though. Wish you could use a controller. I need to invest in a good two button mouse. (damn you apple!)

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2004, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Turnpike:
<snip>
hits the nail on the head!

and I cannot get rid of my mouse pointer - it always stays stuck in the middle of the screen (seems to be an ATI driver problem but I am not sure yet)!

(Radeon 8500 with latest drivers)

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2004, 12:08 AM

Too bad Oni doesn't work in 10.3. So says the Omni groups webpage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules