Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 2G iPod Crashes iTunes

2G iPod Crashes iTunes
MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 07:41 AM

So ever since I got my new spiffy 12in Powerbook my Second Gen iPod 10 Gig crashes iTunes when I plug it in. I can somehow get around this by restarting the computer, and the iPod works fine with iTunes. But if I unplug it, and plug it back in. Or restart iTunes, I get the same result. I had hoped that my problem would be fixed by new iTunes software, but sadly it has not.

Anyone have any ideas?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 07:45 AM

Can try running disk utility on it. If you haven't, upgrade to the latest firmware version. If not, you may want to clean the slate and reinstall everything.

Do you have automatic or manual set? Check your preferences, maybe the iPod is trying to read iTunes from a different machine and it's causing problems.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 08:02 AM

Actually the first thing I did was run disc utility on it. Then I tried to reset it to factory defaults. Then I erased the iPod and reset it to factory defaults. Still causing problems.

I'm quite sure its set to manual. But I'll need to restart to be sure. But its always set to manual, so I don't see why it wouldn't be.

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 08:19 AM

No dice. Its set to manual. So odd. Really.

Bozley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 10:55 PM

My External Maxtor drive used to crash my computer, when I reboot it would be mounted on the desktop and work fine. I ran a repair permissions in Disk utility on my Mac drive and it has been fine every since.

Maybe give that a try!

Forum Links
Forum Rules