Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iTunes for video... IS iTunes!

iTunes for video... IS iTunes!
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2005, 09:34 PM

Well Apple just added the ability to play movies IN iTunes!

This is FREAKING AWESOME! That said I think iFlicks now has no chance of ever making money but... I can't say I mind all that much... poor guys...

Now movies show up with a lil movie camera beside em, and they play and if you close the movie window they'll play in the album artwork section... this is great... a bit frustrating though considering now all my movies are gona be moved to my music folder which I don't like... I think Apple needs to address this on OS X... but other than that... YIPPEE!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 9, 2005, 11:16 PM

Umm, iTunes has had music videos in the music store for a long time. I tried dragging a QT movie into the Library, and it behaved just like it always has: it played the audio and showed the first frame of the movie as the album art.

What is it you're referring to? (And why isn't this in Apps?)

tooki

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 9, 2005, 11:20 PM

You haven't upgraded to 4.8, Tooki my man.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2005, 11:53 PM

wow cool

sideus
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 11:59 PM

It appears iTMS is now SELLING videos. http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/05/0...?tid=176&tid=3

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 12:09 AM

"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2005, 01:15 AM

I'm sooo excited about this... though they do need to offer a few more video specific features... not to mention I would have sooner seen this as a separate app bundled with iTunes... since a movie is hardly a tune...

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 01:40 AM

Now if they'd only offer TV shows to buy... I'd be all over that.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2005, 01:42 AM

iTunes is turning into a digital media center akin to WMP. I honestly don't know how I feel about that. I'm sure Apple will do a nice job, though. This version is a bit clunky. I don't feel like it's really there for video, yet. I mean, am I missing something or do you need to show the "album art" to 1) watch it or 2) be able to open it in a new window by clicking it. I don't see another way to start the video besides the full screen button. Plays the audio just fine though. This feels like it would work better to manage downloaded music videos rather than movies. Is that what it's for?

I think the selling videos thing at this point is really just a perk to buying an album. The cost of the album hasn't gone up but you get something exclusive for doing it. It's something they have now that the other stores (probably?) don't.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2005, 01:43 AM

TV shows would be awesome... I'm not likely to buy movies but TV I will DEFIANTLY buy... I hate to say it but they could make a quick buck off all those kids who are hungry for cartoons from japan but can't find quality imports or who pay through the nose for imports are sick of trying to find torrents for all their needs.

demograph68
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 01:52 AM

Should it still be called iTunes if it does offer a movie store?

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
May 10, 2005, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by demograph68
Should it still be called iTunes if it does offer a movie store?
No.

demograph68
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Xeo
No.
My thoughts as well.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2005, 03:55 AM

i wonder if it is going to go further than just music videos?

music videos i can understand being in the realm of "itunes", but further than that and they are going to be, like xeo said, moving into a digital media center.

i just bought the gorillaz single because it comes with 3 videos. the thing is i already had the single, but i wanted to see what the videos were like.

for music videos, i can see this taking off.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2005, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by MilkmanDan
Now if they'd only offer TV shows to buy... I'd be all over that.

drooolll....seinfeld, family guy.....

video iPod coming soon.

iTune rebranded to iMusic or iMedia.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 04:57 AM

iTunes +movies

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 05:17 AM

iBloat

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

demograph68
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
iBloat
iLoadedWithTooMuchShit

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2005, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
iBloat

iAgree.

would turn into another WMP(the one on Windows).

A seperate app for managing videos/movies would be better imo. with a seperate store for videos/TV series and Movies.

But i think Apple and Sony will have to work on a movie store together since SONY owns one heck of a library of western movies.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2005, 07:04 AM

Could a video capable iPod be far behind?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 07:35 AM

I think Apple may have jumped the shark here with iTunes 4.8 - not because they're offering videos now, but they've stopped doing things "right".

“Building Better Worlds”

willed
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
iAgree.

would turn into another WMP(the one on Windows).

A seperate app for managing videos/movies would be better imo. with a seperate store for videos/TV series and Movies.

But i think Apple and Sony will have to work on a movie store together since SONY owns one heck of a library of western movies.
Yeah, it would be better in a single app, but Apple's problem is that it's already got millions of iTunes users on Mac and PC who will be exposed to their movie store if it's bundled into iTunes; if it's a separate app, how many are going to hear about it/bother downloading it?

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by willed
Yeah, it would be better in a single app, but Apple's problem is that it's already got millions of iTunes users on Mac and PC who will be exposed to their movie store if it's bundled into iTunes; if it's a separate app, how many are going to hear about it/bother downloading it?
This is true. However all future versions of iTunes could be bundled with iFilms as well - so when anyone buys a new iPod they get it, anyone who updates iTunes gets it, etc.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2005, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by willed
Good call. It definately will work out easily strategically and busness wise for Apple.... BUT seeing as how they ported iTunes.... they could also port the moviestore app.

That definately would be easier to do...bundle it all into one app. But i still think it would be far more legant to seperate music entertainment(including music videos, interviews, behind the scenes,etc to do with the music industry) from a 'visual' entertainment store (TV shows, Movies, online-rental,etc).

That way, you wont have to rebrand iTunes, and educate customers that iTunes is now...iWhatever. Im just against the idea of an all-in-one-app cause it would be rather cluttered and inconsistent. one of the reasons i love iTunes is cause of its simplicity, and being tailored specifically for music.

Scifience
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 09:13 AM

Before everyone starts screaming about how this is "iTunes," keep in mind that Apple is not, at the moment, using it to distribute anything that isn't related to music.

This is likely a test run, so to speak, of the technology that would be used in an iFilm type program. They want to see how it works, if people like it, etc.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2005, 09:24 AM

I'm just sad that after buying the new Gorillaz song with the 4 videos, I got a prompt on my iPod (60Gb photo model) saying some of the videos couldn't be copied over because my iPod couldn't play them back.

Though the fact that it said that gives me hope that the photo models just need the right firmware to allow video playback after all.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules