Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dual-processor Powerbooks

Dual-processor Powerbooks
coryp420
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2005, 02:47 AM

http://www.macosrumors.com/ latest rumor says:

Apple's first quad-processor Mac won't be a PowerMac, or an Xserve; it will be an all-new product line, the long-rumored "Xstation" according to sources. Dual-processor Powerbooks and other dual-processor Macs will follow the introduction of this new machine which could come as soon as Apple's World Wide Developer's Conference early next month; much more about these and Apple's "tablet" device patent will be posted over the weekend!
I am planning on buying a Powerbook during it's next release and wanted to if anyone sees any reality in the content or timing of this latest rumor. So far this is the only site running the rumor and doesn't state any sources...

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
May 15, 2005, 03:04 AM

Depends on what you need to do and what your old computer does. Honestly, unless its an amazing revelation I don't think its anything to make a fuss about.

coryp420  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2005, 03:23 AM

After years of dealing with windows, i have finally come to the point that i HATE windows. PLus all my buddies have Macs and i enjoy my stressfree time spent on them. I just feel that the current powerbook configurations don't warrent the price tag, especially since everybody around the forum "feels" like something is going to happen within the Apple Laptop world over the next 3 months. I've seen $1200 windows laptop can blow a top powerbook out of the water, and though i refuse to buy another windows system, i can't justify spending the extra $1000 just to be windows-free

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2005, 05:23 AM

MacOSRumors?

no, seriously:

SassyPants
May 15, 2005, 07:42 AM

How will the dual-processor powerbooks affect the performance? will the performance be enough to play some of the higher end games?

noreturn
May 15, 2005, 08:20 AM

I'm thinking it's probably not going to happen in the 3-month time frame. Wouldn't it make more sense for a G5 PB before a Dual-Proc? There probably will be an upgrade, but I don't think to the level that you're expecting.

I have suspicions about PC notebooks in the $1200 range blowing a top-notch PB out of the water, though. Most of the laptops in this range don't even have non-integrated graphics, let alone DVD burners, 17" screens, 100GB hard drives, etc. What exactly do you define "blow out of the water" to mean?

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 15, 2005, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
MacOSRumors?

no, seriously:
coryp420, what analogika means is that Mac OS Rumors has very little credibility. OK--NO credibility. As of late, the most credible source is Think Secret. To put it another way, Think Secret has been sued by Apple; MOSR has not.

Also, unless both processors are above 1.67Ghz (not dual 1.3s or something), having both won't provide much benefit above the current PBs unless the user is almost always plugged into power. It would help encoding and multi-tasking, etc. But I'd think would suck down battery life immensely. I'm sure in battery mode, the second processor would be shut-off (or user definded), but then what's the point of a second processor?
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2005, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by coryp420
After years of dealing with windows, i have finally come to the point that i HATE windows. PLus all my buddies have Macs and i enjoy my stressfree time spent on them. I just feel that the current powerbook configurations don't warrent the price tag, especially since everybody around the forum "feels" like something is going to happen within the Apple Laptop world over the next 3 months. I've seen $1200 windows laptop can blow a top powerbook out of the water, and though i refuse to buy another windows system, i can't justify spending the extra $1000 just to be windows-free
hate to break it to you, but everybody around the forum always "feels" like something is going to happen within the Apple Laptop world, always.

if you can afford your new powerbook now, go get it. i have a 1.25ghz 15" that i bought in the beginning of last year and it is not making me feel like it is too slow. now they are on 1.67ghz(?).

if you really must wait for a new style powerbook, then wait. but then again, not everyone wants a revision A mac. and you might be waiting again for revision B.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2005, 08:52 AM

MacOSRumors?

no, seriously:
Well said.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2005, 09:58 AM

MacOSRumors?

no, seriously:
Always a trusted source.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2005, 08:01 PM

I'm not so sure about MacOSRumors anymore...ever since they got the G6 release date wrong...Although maybe they are right about the quad processor (dual core for each processor too!), running at 5ghz each, and 16 terabyte drives with wireless firewire bus, and....ok, you get the point. Don't believe MacOSRumors.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by gururafiki
Although maybe they are right about the quad processor (dual core for each processor too!), running at 5ghz each, and 16 terabyte drives with wireless firewire bus, and....
Of course, anyone who starts discussing any possible combination, will be right at some point.

As for the dual processor Powerbooks: it is very-very unlikely that we will see such Powerbooks with the CPUs sitting on separate chips (that is the meaning of dual processor). Even more unlikely when we talk about the G4.

Dual core (two CPUs on the same chip) is a much more likely alternative, that will surface sooner or later I believe. Will it be some variant of the 8641D or something else, I don't know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules