Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > VLC Not realizing there are audio tracks?

VLC Not realizing there are audio tracks?
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2005, 02:02 AM

Hey I've got a bunch of ogm files, and they've got Japanese and English audio on em, I want to play the English but the default is Japanese... for a while, if I opened the file, used the menu to get info, closed that and went to the audio part it'd be there as an option, now even on files that worked on it's not working and the menu item is just greyed out... any ideas?

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2005, 03:13 AM

audio is ****ed in vlc.

I can change my audio interface so that sound is actually output through my Mobile I/O, but it will only see channel 1.

The audio submenu is greyed-out since Tiger, too.

Annoying.

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2005, 06:30 PM

The gray menu's are caused because Menu's are updated differently in Tiger then before, causing to break the hack in VLC that is used to update some of the menu's. It's fixed in the development version, and you can circumvent by opening the Help menu first and then (while keeping menu's open) dragging to the other menu's

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2005, 08:31 PM

Ah, thanks.

Any idea why VLC refuses to see stereo pairs on my audio interface?
(Metric Halo Mobile I/O 2882+DSP, 18 channel outs via Firewire)

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2005, 06:04 AM

Because VLC's audio output core was developped during MacOS X 10.0 Public Beta and at that time such devices as yours and the specific driver method they use was not yet known to developers.

VLC's audio core is very outdated, unfortunatly, no one has offered to fix it (at least no one who actually produced some results after that promise).

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2005, 06:54 AM

IANAD, but if there's any way I can help that doesn't involve potential danger to my studio production system, please let me know. I'd really love for this to work properly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules