Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your thoughts on plagiarism.

Your thoughts on plagiarism. (Page 2)
tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 22, 2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
tooki, D- for copying and pasting.
Tsk tsk tsk, randman, F- for your grading skills. I never claimed it was my own work!

tooki

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 22, 2005, 02:53 PM

I am also in University at the moment and as an english major I write lots of papers. Whatever you do give the same grade (on the assignment, not necessarily the class) to both students that cheated. I hate it when teachers give in the students that whine about their precios gpa and their precious scholarship. If it was that important you would have written the paper yourself instead of getting drunk or whatever. In my scool, the university of maryland, a first time offense is not only an F in the course but a special XF which denotes failure due to academic dishonesty. In some cases students are not expelled and have the option to take an entire course just to remove the X although they are forever stuck with the F (as they should be). My finals week ended last Friday and because I have bad time management I am still writing one last paper. I talked to my teacher and told him that I would take the penalty of his choice but I wanted the chance to write a decent paper even if it meant turning it in late and getting a lower grade. I never even considered copy/pasting from the internet.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
May 22, 2005, 03:48 PM

Public Execution!

Maybe tatoo a big 'P' on their foreheads.

Or, give them '0' extra credit and make them write a report on the topic of, yes, you guessed it:

PLAGIARISM.

1,000 words. (No copying now, without a notation and quotation!)

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2005, 08:39 AM

What is worse is that they cheat on a 2-page paper. That is so short, I can type that up in a matter of 4 hours. 1 hour of research per page & 1 typing hour per page.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2005, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by anthonyvthc
To answer your question Millienium, nothing was quoted at all. The entire piece was verbatim from the website (not even a good website at that) with words like "therefore" changed to "because." It was all a very sad attempt.
Oh; in that case you have the law on your side. Lay down as much smack as you like.

She may try and claim that you're getting her on a technicality, but she tried to do the same thing by citing the paper at the end; it just so happens that she didn't cover herself well enough. Fight technicalities with technicalities
( Last edited by Millennium; May 23, 2005 at 09:48 AM. )
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

budster101
Baninated
May 23, 2005, 09:45 AM

2 page paper. 1 hour of typing per page? 1 hour of research?

Try: 10 minutes of typing, and 20 minutes of research per page. The internet is quite nice.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2005, 11:00 AM

Yes, but don't forget that people revise as they type. Re-read, reword, reread, redo...

budster101
Baninated
May 23, 2005, 11:19 AM

Buffalolee: They do? I write it in my head and then let it rip!

3.9 GPA M.Ed.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2005, 11:39 AM

budster101: Wow. I usually find that I need to improve my composition (not grammer) when I type papers. Beside using the time for research, I typically take an hour per page. What sounds right the first time doesn't work when I reread it. :-P

3.85 GPA M.S.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2005, 11:40 AM

I'd give then an "F" for effort (hey! a pun!), of which they put in none. Anything more implies that they actually did some work.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

budster101
Baninated
May 23, 2005, 11:43 AM

buffalolee: This is a two-page paper we are talking about here, not a major thesis... I was referring to short and pointed papers such as this. They are more like op-eds than anything. This is how I gauged my time frame for this work. 2 pages? Didn't they learn anything in class?

This is extra credit, not a normal assignment either, which is meant to push those on the cusp of a better grade over the edge. (i.e., D+ to a C, C+ to a B, B+ to an A)

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2005, 11:48 AM

touché

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by deej5871
Then let the harsher consequences happen in the real world. School, including college, is about learning, even learning from your mistakes. If you don't get the chance and get booted after your first mistake (which it seems will happen to this girl) then what have you learned? Sure, you learned never to plagiarize again, but then your life is destroyed in the process. I think she should be made to do some other work or, ask was suggested before, as her to tell you what her paper was about to see if she learned anything. That's what's important. People get so tied up with rules and regulations that they forget that education is learning.

(When I say "tied up with rules and regulations" I don't mean she shouldn't be punished at all. Obviously she did something wrong and there must be consequences, but those consequences for this one act shouldn't be so dramatic that she can't go to school anymore.)

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 04:19 PM

How about "Its just bad."

As I go back to writing page 10 of 18 on this History paper of mine.

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2005, 04:31 PM

Ok, update time....
I have told the student that, after discussing this with my boss, her grade of D- will remain. I also told her that if she felt this was unfair, she can explain the situation to her academic advisor and have the advisor contact me. I highly doubt this is going to happen though.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by MilkmanDan
How about "Its just bad."

As I go back to writing page 10 of 18 on this History paper of mine.
Good Luck, I am working on page 7 of 18 for a paper on 18th century England. (due last week I might add)

budster101
Baninated
May 23, 2005, 04:59 PM

1/10th off for each day it's late.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
1/10th off for each day it's late.
Its ok I made a deal with my teacher that in exchange for turning in the paper late I will also give him CD's of his lecture since I recorded them all on my ibook.

budster101
Baninated
May 24, 2005, 09:39 AM

Good deal! You should work for TRUMP!

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2005, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by anthonyvthc
Ok, update time....
I have told the student that, after discussing this with my boss, her grade of D- will remain. I also told her that if she felt this was unfair, she can explain the situation to her academic advisor and have the advisor contact me. I highly doubt this is going to happen though.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules