Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best Cheap KVM?

Best Cheap KVM?
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2005, 12:50 AM

I got the idea today that once I get my Power Mac and Cinema I'd like to be able to run the 20 inch display off my PowerBook if say the Power Mac is running a big render or something like that. And that way if for some reason I ever got a PC for testing or something like that I'd be able to run it through there too (though that last bit's incredibly unlikely).

Anyway, I've been looking around online and almost all of the cheaper KVMs have a max resolution of 1600/1200, well the 20 inch Cinema is 1680/something lower than 1200. So unless I'm mistaken none of these would run the Cinema display.
I saw one from Dr. Bott for like 400 American... honestly that's insane... I could practically get a second Cinema for that.

So far the Dr. Bott is the only one that I've seen that could run it. Do I have to give up on this dream or am I missing something?

t6hawk
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2005, 01:20 AM

If you don't mind VGA with USB 2 port kvms, i can suggest one. I have no idea what the limitations on it are tho. It may not handle a cinema display. 17" for sure as that is what I'm running.
:)

alphamatrix
Senior User
Jun 29, 2005, 01:27 AM

Please do, I've been meaning to get one for awhile now. ARD Client on a 350Mhz G3 has not been fun.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2005, 01:48 AM

I need DVI... I don't wanna spend 800 dollars on a monitor to have the video quality be crap...

t6hawk
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2005, 02:49 AM

Ok it is on Tiger Direct. If you are in USA it is here. It is VGA/USB only tho. It is the cheapest one I found and it does work. I've been abusing mine for 6 months now and I switch it very often and it seems to withstand the abuse.

There is a DVI one there but it is PS2 so i don't know if that helps or not. That one is $65.
:)

jebjeb
Senior User
Jun 29, 2005, 04:20 AM

Unfortunately, there is not really any cheap solution. Belkin does some versatile KVM's where you can choose the different interfaces you want.

This is the two system solution. http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=146401

The cables are seperate, so going off the prices on Belkins website you would be looking at $245 for the KVM and then 2x $80 for the 6ft DVI/USB cables = $405... Hmmm, no cheaper than the Dr Bott.

Just looked at the Tiger direct site and you can go with the http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...5867&CatId=597 for $185

Actually, I would go with a DVI/PS2 switcher (as mentioned by t6hawk) http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1581&CatId=597 for $65 but don't use the PS2 switching. Get http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...772&CatId=1028 at $20 to switch your keyboard and mouse.

It means that it is two button presses to switch but for 85 bucks thats not bad to switch DVI and USB. Better than $400......

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
Dude, wrong forum. You should know better. IBL.

-t

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Dude, wrong forum. You should know better. IBL.

-t
Sorry... I should have posted in the Power Mac... no wait the PowerBook... no wait the Peripheral no wait... uhh... which one?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2005, 11:21 AM

no wait the Peripheral
What's wrong with that ?

Peripherals:
Discussion and support of all that other hardware that didn't come inside your computer. Networking topics (including AirPort and other 802.11 wireless) have their own forum below. iPod has its own forum.
Don't act like a n00b.

-t

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2005, 11:25 AM

Don't act like a n00b.

-t
You're all mean! My mommy says I'm special! You'd better be nice to me otherwise I'm gonna go mAD HaxX0r on your compy mo fo!

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 29, 2005, 11:31 AM

You're all mean! My mommy says I'm special! You'd better be nice to me otherwise I'm gonna go mAD HaxX0r on your compy mo fo!
Aww, that sounds really cute, I want a compy-mo-fo too

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2005, 11:35 AM

Glad you got the message.

-t

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2005, 11:23 PM

Glad you got the message.

-t
Hey! Shut your mouth! You doubt my Mad HaX0R skillz? Don't make me upload your computer! I'll totally delete your registry!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2005, 09:46 AM

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Jun 30, 2005 at 11:57 AM. )

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2005, 09:51 PM

Oh, well turns out that the IOGEAR one that I was looking at (which seems to be the best deal I found) actually WILL work with the 20 incher. Doesn't seem to work with a 23 incher but meh it's a 1000 more anyway, I'll save m'cash

Forum Links
Forum Rules