Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Unexplainable activity?

Unexplainable activity?
voo
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2005, 03:12 PM

Being new to OS X for 3- 4 days now, That I can't find anything mentioned about this on the board. Is there some weird bug with Tiger...
What would happen is the mouse cursor starts flickering/shimmering, or Safari keeps trying to scroll down the bottom of the page or should I try to open the menus, the menubar closes them each time.

This doesn't happen very often but the only way so far I found it seems for it to stop is to switch to another task. Since I'm all upto date to 10.4.1 etc, I'm not sure exactly what it is or what you could describe it.
( Last edited by voo; Jun 25, 2005 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Tracing the problem to the Logitech Mouse and OS X Tiger)

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 03:38 PM

What Mac are you using? Are you using an internal (for iBooks/PowerBooks) or external mouse?

voo  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2005, 03:44 PM

Its a PowerMac, the mouse thats hooked up is a Logitech MX1000 plugged into the back of the monitor. Though I remember the Apple mouse gave me the same problem as it was hooked upto the keyboard.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2005, 03:50 PM

It sounds like a mouse issue. Easy troubleshooting: connect it to another Mac and see if you can reproduce the behavior.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by voo
Its a PowerMac, the mouse thats hooked up is a Logitech MX1000 plugged into the back of the monitor. Though I remember the Apple mouse gave me the same problem as it was hooked upto the keyboard.
You might have a bad USB port. Maybe someone else knows of a specific software issue that could be the culprit...

Do you have any shareware or hacks installed for your mouse? I believe the Logitech MX1000 uses their proprietary RF technology rather than Bluetooth, which means that they have drivers available for the Mac. If you haven't already, try installing these drivers (i.e., MouseWare software).

voo  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2005, 03:58 PM

I don't have another Mac to check. I'm just wondering of the wireless channels are conflicting somehow, theres 2 other wireless Logitech combos in the room but those channels are secured... but I see no way to secure the channel on OS X. Even with Logitech's drivers itself.

voo  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2005, 04:02 PM

Thats the only thing I have installed for it http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/do...id=9409,OSID=9

glyph
Jun 10, 2005, 04:56 PM

I have a Logitech laser mouse also......I think your problem is with the driver software. It seemed to me that when the batteries ran low, the problems would occur.....or maybe that was just a coincidence. I just uninstalled the drivers and used the OS X drivers and the problems went away - though some minor features are lost.

Also, I downloaded the most recent drivers from the Logitech site.......it didn't help - the problem remained. I'm running Panther.
( Last edited by glyph; Jun 10, 2005 at 05:06 PM. )

voo  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2005, 09:21 PM

It turns out I had to get the MX1000 replaced due to the erratic behaviour and the replacement seems perfect. Only problem im left with now on a clean Tiger install plus the default built in OS X drivers is the weird behaviour.
The mouse pointer would start shimmering, web pages anything with a scrollbar would jump to the top or bottom of the page and would stay there untill I move them and let go. The menubar menus would also close during this problem and it appears the only way to solve it is to unplug the USB for the MX1000. I've only tested a few times though it seems so strange that it happens after I turn the mouse upside down or leaves the surface for a few seconds or so. Have even tested it on every USB port the same thing happens.

Whats so puzzling is nobody else that I have seen has had this problem, Apple boards, here and the Logitech forums. Is there something about the MX1000 thats not fully compatible with Tiger that I'm experiencing?
Surely it can't be another faulty mouse, anyone know why such peculiar things would happen? its almost like the mouse has got a mind of its own.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 08:40 PM

I'm on 10.4.2 with a Logitech MX500. I've had it for almost 2 years now with the Logitech driver installed with no problems. Last night I ran Cocktail (maintenance utility) and today the scrollbar seems to have a mind of its own. I checked Safari and iPhoto, same result. When I scroll down, it would automatically scroll back up to the top. Kinda creepy. I thought I had some sort of virus. Any help would be appreciated.

voo  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2005, 09:00 PM

Hmm the MX500 is corded isn't it? To keep a long story short, I had found out what my problem was with all this freaky behaviour with days and days of testing. The MX700 base station was conflicting with the MX1000 base station, the fun things about wireless!
I had to block them behind wood as I have 3 wireless base stations in the room :o

Though if the MX500 is corded I have no idea why its causing you problems like it did for me...
You do know the Logitech Control center isn't compatible with 10.4.1/2?

This was what they said to me about the software..

Thank you for contacting Logitech's Electronic Technical Support.

I understand that you are not able to use the mouse properly on your Macintosh 10.4.1 system. You have mentioned that the mouse cursor does not track properly.

Logitech Control Center 1.5.0 (LCC) is not designed to work with Macintosh 10.4.1. It is supported and designed to work on Macintosh OS X 10.1.2 - 10.4.

Please uninstall the LCC and test whether the issue persists. If the issue persists, please test the mouse on another system preferably a Windows computer. If the issue persists on that system then write back to me with the following details.

- The M/N: of the mouse (Model Number)
- The S/N: of the mouse (Serial Number)
- The P/N: of the mouse (Part Number)
- Your Address & daytime Telephone Number

If you have any additional questions regarding your product, please feel free to visit our website at http://www.logitech.com
Since then done a erase and install to make sure anything was gone of Logitech even though the Logitech kernel extensions were gone some weird stuff was still happening so I've used the default OS X mouse drivers and hooked all the buttons to Expose. Seems peachy since.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 09:18 PM

I'm so frustrated that I unplugged the Logitech Mouse. And no more auto scrolling to the top. So it is the mouse or mouse driver. What is so strange is that I've been on Tiger for over 1 month now and this issue never came up. I wonder if the 10.4.2 update did anything to this. Notice that the latest update to the driver was in May 2005. So the Tiger release broke the driver.

Logitech Control Center for Macintosh® OS X
Version: 1.5.0
Posted: 05/04/2005

voo  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2005, 09:26 PM

Well it never worked for me on 4.1 either, but it would appear like interference just as I suffered though how could it if its corded... unless the mouse has developed a fault now since the update to 4.2 who knows. Coincidence?

Oh were the menus acting funny too everytime you opened one it would close?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 09:37 PM

Ok, it's the mouse itself. I removed the Logitech driver and restarted. After the restart, I then plugged in the mouse and the auto scrolling to the top would start again. At first, after the restart, the mouse would click on the Apple icon to pull down the About this mac, Sleep, Restart, Shut Down, etc. menu.

I'm now mouseless. Just using my trackpad instead. I think the issue must have something to do with 10.4.2. voo you have the cordless (and one of the best mouse available) and I'm on the corded and we're both experiencing the same or similar things. Hmmm...Can you PM me or post the customer service person you emailed? I'll send them one too. Maybe Logitech needs to update the driver to be compatible with Tiger's latest version.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2005, 09:38 PM

sorry, gotta go to work. will update later. thanks.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 08:15 AM

[UPDATE:]Ok, this is what I emailed-
The scrollbar seems to have a mind of its own. When I scroll down (on a browser or open window), it would automatically scroll back up to the top. I have uninstalled the Logitech Control Center for Macintosh® OS X Version 1.5.0 and restarted my computer. However, once I plug in the MX500 mouse the same thing happens again. I'm on Mac OS 10.4.2 (Apple's latest release). A friend of mine with the MX1000 is experiencing the same thing.

I understand that the Logitech Control Center 1.5.0 (LCC) is only supported and designed to work on Macintosh OS X 10.1.2 - 10.4.0 and not 10.4.1 or 10.4.2. And I have already uninstalled LCC but the issue persists. I have since unplugged the mouse and simply using the trackpad on my laptop and the "auto-scrolling issue" is gone, so I know it's the mouse.

I have had my MX500 for 2 years now and have been using the Mac OS platform from 10.3 up to the most recent release without incident. My Logitech mouse has served me very well over the years and I hope that it will continue to do so for the next few years to come. This might very well be an isue of the LCC driver needing an update to function properly with 10.4.2 and also some mechanical issue with my mouse itself.
And this is Logitech's response:
Thank you for your recent inquiry about your Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse.

I understand that you are experiencing difficulties using your Logitech MX500 mouse on Macintosh 10.4.2 operating system.

Unfortunately, MX500 mouse will not work properly on Macintosh 10.4.2 operating system. Currently there are no compatible software. You will only be able to use the mouse as a standard three button mouse. However, Logitech is constantly working to update our software to support new operating systems. Please check the Logitech website regularly for more information on future releases.
So, this is what I emailed back:
Logitech's response: "Unfortunately, MX500 mouse will not work properly on Macintosh 10.4.2 operating system. Currently there are no compatible software. You will only be able to use the mouse as a standard three button mouse."

That's the point. I cannot use it as a 3-button mouse. I can't even use it as a 2-button mouse BECAUSE of the AUTO-SCROLLING PROBLEM. Why tell me what I already know. Just say you can't fix it right now.
So long story short. It's still messed up and Logitech has no fix for it. But, "Logitech is constantly working to update our software to support new operating systems."

voo  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2005, 08:54 AM

Heh it's almost like the response they gave to me. I really friggin hate help desks on any type of customer support, idiot boards if answer A isn't there try answer B if that doesn't work they try and fob you off or hope you get swept under the rug.

It really pisses me off with the majority companies as I've had my fair share of it over the years trying to get stuff sorted. They are hopeless get your money and run in a way. Logitech have no real instension of updating the drivers, whats it been since the drivers have been updated 3 months... I have noticed lately how most of the mice or desktop combos from Logitech its just PC support and they seem to be slowly ditching OS X.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan
[UPDATE:]Ok, this is what I emailed-

And this is Logitech's response:

So, this is what I emailed back:

So long story short. It's still messed up and Logitech has no fix for it. But, "Logitech is constantly working to update our software to support new operating systems."
Have you tried removing the drivers? I don't think it's a mouse problem, but rather a driver problem. You can still use the extra buttons for exposé and dashboard, as they should still be seen.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2005, 08:35 PM

Detrius: Yes, I have removed the driver, but it's still acting strange. I looked for remnants of the driver and I think I've removed everything. But maybe not? It's so strange because it's been fine.

UPDATE: Ok, I think it's ok now. I might have overlooked a .plist and quickly deleted it. Hopefully it's ok. Thanks for the reminder Detrius.
( Last edited by TheIceMan; Aug 20, 2005 at 09:02 PM. )

voo  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2005, 08:35 AM

What seems silly is why Logitech can't make their drivers compatible with upcoming patches. Its like making the drivers compatible with Windows XP then SP1 - SP2 and its no longer compatible, thats rather bad programming is it not?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2005, 10:26 AM

you know i spoke too soon. the mouse started doing the auto-scroll thing again. so it's back to using the trackpad.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2005, 05:55 PM

Ok update. I went and bought another mouse. Logitech MouseMan Traveller. Didn't install the driver. So far it's fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though. In case it starts acting up again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules