Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Vista news stories Mention Apples OS X

Vista news stories Mention Apples OS X (Page 2)
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac View Post
This letter was issued by IT today where I work:

Many of you have asked if {company} plans to migrate to Windows Vista. Windows Vista (the replacement for Windows XP) is due to be released Tuesday, January 30th.

At this time, the Information Technology department will continue testing Vista for application compatibility and hardware requirements while also evaluating if productivity and security gains warrant migrating to Windows Vista. We expect a long testing cycle, and we do not expect to introduce Windows Vista into the production environment possibly until 2008.

Home Users:

New computers will soon come with Windows Vista installed or with a free upgrade to Windows Vista. If an upgrade is offered, IT suggests that you take advantage of this offer and obtain the free upgrade media and license, but delay installing it until IT has fully tested and supports it.

IT currently recommends that {company} staff not upgrade their home computers to Windows Vista.

System requirements are significantly higher then Windows XP and without a high performance video card and 1-2GB of RAM, your computer will likely suffer from slower performance after upgrading to Windows Vista.

VPN and WebMail have not been fully tested internally. Home users running VPN or using WebMail may have issues after an upgrade to Windows Vista and Information Technology will not be able to offer any assistance.
When I worked at Nike, we were about 1.5 generations behind on our Mac OS installs. They would test the living crap out of each release, and we'd get them like a year afterwards. It sucked. I work for a much smaller company now, and we get updates very quickly.

I would imagine major Windows upgrades are the same way, if not worse since there are many more Windows users in many large companies.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 08:35 PM

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Oh GOD! Sorry sorry sorry sorry! Enough nitpicking at my poor attempt at humor. Move on!!
No no no, I wasn't picking at your use of English or grammar, I was picking at people in general. But I think I was mistaken anyway.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 06:09 AM

Vista aims to take a bite out of Apple
Nick Miller
January 31, 2007

MICROSOFT has launched its new operating system Windows Vista with rock'n'roll music, a promise of more multimedia fun and improved internet safety — and an attack on Apple's iTunes online music dominance.

Australian rockers Rogue Traders played at the launch yesterday in Sydney's Museum of Contemporary Art, as Microsoft executives boasted new features in the software five years in the making.

One new feature is an alliance with Sanity Music, which will offer its entire music collection of more than 1 million songs online, accessible from Windows' Media Player.

Users can access up to 300 tracks a month by paying a subscription fee, or buy tracks individually. Pricing will be announced closer to April, when the service is due to go live.

Sanity Music chief executive Greg Milne used the launch to attack Apple, maker of the iPod.

"Music lovers crave freedom, choice and diversity," he said. "They don't want to be locked into using one music player for the rest of their lives."

Songs downloaded from Apple's iTunes store can only be played on iPods. Songs from the Sanity store will not play on iPods — but will play on a variety of MP3 players from other manufacturers.

"The future is inclusive, not restrictive," Mr Milne said.

Microsoft also announced an alliance with Telstra BigPond, allowing users to download movies and TV episodes on demand — for a fee — using Microsoft's Media Centre software.

But analysts predict slow take-up of Vista and the new version of Microsoft Office, which was also launched yesterday.
The funny thing about this is that none of Telstra's services are Mac compatible.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 11:22 AM

When I worked at Nike, we were about 1.5 generations behind on our Mac OS installs.
They did the same thing at one of my old jobs also. Luckily I knew more about Mac's than the IT guy and they never had to fix or change anything on the Macs anyway so I just secretly updated the OS and applications. When they finally did notice they didn't care to much and said that if something goes wrong though it was my responsibility to fix it. Luckily I never had any major problems with MacOS upgrades even with OS9. If you can live through 7.5.1 you can make it through anything.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 02:52 PM

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman View Post
That was quite a good interview.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
The funny thing about this is that none of Telstra's services are Mac compatible.
Do they work on the Zune?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Ouch Bill.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 05:13 PM

Hahaha! That's awesome. At least we know that Gates' PR people didn't screen the questions before the interview. I don't think they'd have allowed that one to be asked.

Squirm Bill, squirm!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2007, 05:51 PM

I love the "Vista vs. OS X" comments!

If you google "Longhorn vs. Panther" you'll find people raving about how great Longhorn WILL be vs. how OS X IS. The sad fact is... many of the "WOW' features of Vista were ultimately removed or watered down.

In typical Microsoft fashion, they sell you on the gold, and finally [after many delays] deliver "magic" beans. Sure, Apple hasn't delivered 100%, but at least they usually deliver... on time.

Perhaps I'm not the only one that feels like Microsoft has been dangling a carrot in front of users for YEARS... spreading FUD at every turn as a stop gap.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Amorya View Post
I believe part of bootcamp is some BIOS compatibility software that runs as part of EFI. So it's kinda correct to say Windows runs in it...
No, that came as a Firmware update separate from Bootcamp. You had to update the firmware first but it is not directly part of Bootcamp.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2007, 09:49 PM

DRM will be the death of Vista - I know a lot of die-hard PC users who are staying away - not because they're pirates or anything, but the content controls that MS put in place are just crazy. I'll bet that there will be lots of problems because of them.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I have a legit copy of Vista Business (through MSDN) and when I tried installing it it gave me a driver error and then wiped my entire FAT32 shared partition that contained my user folder backup (that it wasn't supposed to go near). Yeah. I hate it.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2007, 11:57 PM

So it turns out installing Microsoft's latest operating system required installing XP first. I actually had to do a fresh install of XP to successfully install Vista. But it's working now. My GMA900 doesn't support Aero, but oh well. At least I don't have to deal with Flip3D.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 02:53 AM

So it turns out installing Microsoft's latest operating system required installing XP first. I actually had to do a fresh install of XP to successfully install Vista. But it's working now. My GMA900 doesn't support Aero, but oh well. At least I don't have to deal with Flip3D.
The upgrade version you meant?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2007, 02:56 AM

The upgrade version you meant?
No. I mean the full Business edition that I've had for quite some time now. The Full version wouldn't install on my computer unless i put it over a fresh install of XP.
I've been using it all night, and it's not bad. The sidebar's obviously ripping off OS X, as is the search function, but my printer worked perfectly without needing drivers, Office '03 is absolutely lightning fast, like much faster than it was in XP. Firefox is a tad slow, window drawing isn't perfect (but I don't have a real graphics card).

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2007, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post

Holy crappers!!! why would a Microsoft guy do that???

I wish I knew what they were saying.
I think Microsoft would do that because they are primarily a software company and don't care what their software is run on. If it looks better to run it on apple hardware for TV, so be it! They license software and whatever it gets put on, they still make their buck. I'm sure that when apple announced boot camp they shouted for joy... another couple percent of people could now run their OS without requiring any costly hardware upgrades. It's a win-win situation for them.

And by the way to all of you "my super nerd friend says he wont touch it, so it must be horrible" crowd, that is what uber-nerds ALWAYS say! They will never admit to wanting an upgrade... they want more command line interfaces, more direct control, and a comfortable environment. I remember being the same way when I was prettending to be one. I wouldn't upgrade to windows 95 because windows 3.1 was so much better, and then I wouldn't upgrade to Windows 98 because windows 95 was so much better. It's just the way it works. Some nerd reads that there is a bug in the new OS and all of the sudden they are an expert on it and every nerd on the planet thinks that the OS is crap. It usually turns out that some nerds hold out for a year or two, while the rest secretly crave the new features and cave in faster than Dark Helmet and the Wii.

As a small derailment, check out 2:29 - 2:36 on this video: Akon ft Eminem - Smack That - Google Video I have never seen anything like that... is it real?!?
( Last edited by torsoboy; Feb 1, 2007 at 05:22 AM. )

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2007, 02:09 PM

No. I mean the full Business edition that I've had for quite some time now. The Full version wouldn't install on my computer unless i put it over a fresh install of XP.
I've been using it all night, and it's not bad. The sidebar's obviously ripping off OS X, as is the search function, but my printer worked perfectly without needing drivers, Office '03 is absolutely lightning fast, like much faster than it was in XP. Firefox is a tad slow, window drawing isn't perfect (but I don't have a real graphics card).
Interesting. Eventually, I will get Vista on the basement PC I'm working on. The power supply just went bad yesterday and I decided to but a new brain on it.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 11:40 AM

Everything aside what is the main selling point for Vista?

The only thing I keep hearing to sell it is that it is the "latest Windows OS 5 years in the making" as if that alone is reason to buy it.

No major features being shown off only "more secure" which shouldn't be the main selling point of an OS nor should the problem been there in the first place.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 11:47 AM

I don't see Vista being secure or stable for too much longer. There's just something about Windows that makes it get swamped with viruses and adware, even if you run all the appropriate security programs.

On top of that, as well know, Windows gets "scoliosis" after a few months: app launch times increase, system memory starts getting eaten up by who knows what, everything takes longer to load, etc. I can see this becoming very bad in Vista.

Edit: For instance, I have a 3 month old Thinkpad, with a Core Duo, 1gig, and 128mb video card. I only have Firefox running, and in the tray are AIM, Viruscan, and Ad-aware. I clicked to minimize Firefox and it took 4-5 seconds to redraw the screen to show my desktop.
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Feb 2, 2007 at 11:54 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2007, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker View Post

The only thing I keep hearing to sell it is that it is the "latest Windows OS 5 years in the making" as if that alone is reason to buy it.

No major features being shown off only "more secure" which shouldn't be the main selling point of an OS nor should the problem been there in the first place.

A sane security model, and stuff that is new to Windows, not necessarily new to the industry.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 12:40 PM

Check out this pathetic touchscreen os attempt for Vista tablets:
Vista Tablet Finger Touch Demo - Gizmodo

Instead of an OS made for touch-screens they ad this stupid virtual mouse that moves a cursor which shifts positions on its own randomly when it sees fit. To make it worse they actually have a mini onscreen mouse with 2 buttons you have to push independently when standing and holding a awkward PC. As you can see it works like ass.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 01:02 PM

NEWSWEEK: If one of our readers confronted you in a CompUSA and said, “Bill, why upgrade to Vista?” what would be your elevator pitch?

Bill Gates: The most effective thing would be if I could sit down with them and just take them through the new look for a couple of minutes, show them the Sidebar, show them the way the search lets you go through lots of things, including lots of photos. Set up a parental control. And then I might edit a high-definition movie and make a little DVD that's got photos. As I went through, they'd think, “Wow, is that something I could use, would that make a difference for me?”

Bill Gates on Vista and Apple's 'Lying' Ads - Newsweek Technology - MSNBC.com

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
As a small derailment, check out 2:29 - 2:36 on this video: Akon ft Eminem - Smack That - Google Video I have never seen anything like that... is it real?!?
Wow, thats pretty awesome. I imagine that is a staged match, much like the Harlem Globetrotters games. But still, thats some serious athletic ability there. Fun to watch!

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 01:18 PM

How about the implication that you need surgery to upgrade?

Well, certainly we've done a better job letting you upgrade on the hardware than our competitors have done. You can choose to buy a new machine, or you can choose to do an upgrade. And I don't know why [Apple is] acting like it’s superior. I don't even get it. What are they trying to say? Does honesty matter in these things, or if you're really cool, that means you get to be a lying person whenever you feel like it? There's not even the slightest shred of truth to it.
Wow, just wow. A better job "letting" you upgrade on the hardware than your competitors, eh Bill? I swear, that dude is so lost. He has no idea what's going on in the real world of computers.

And what's with that question? The ad doesn't imply you need surgery to upgrade, its a fricking METAPHOR you dolt!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Bill Gates: The most effective thing would be if I could sit down with them and just take them through the new look aqua? for a couple of minutes, show them the Sidebar dock?, show them the way the search lets you go through lots of things Spotlight?, including lots of photos iPhoto?. Set up a parental control Accounts?. And then I might edit a high-definition movie iMovie? and make a little DVD that's got photos iDVD?. As I went through, they'd think, “Wow, is that something I could use, would that make a difference for me?”
(fixed)

Welcome to three years ago, Microsoft.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 02:41 PM

How much of a rôle has Bill Gates played in the development of Vista? It seems like he didn't involve himself nearly as much as with XP.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
How much of a rôle has Bill Gates played in the development of Vista? It seems like he didn't involve himself nearly as much as with XP.
From what I've read, he hasn't been involved much at all. At least not until the tail end of the project. Balmer has been the lead moron, from what I can tell.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Either way he just laid down the philosophy for it.

"See what Apple is doing, copy it and say you came up with it first".

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 02:55 PM

Either way he just laid down the philosophy for it.

"See what Apple is doing, copy it and say you came up with it first".
He laid down that philosophy 15 years ago.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 03:03 PM

He laid down that philosophy 15 years ago.
That was my point

They have it written on a plaque in the lobby.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 03:35 PM

It almost seems now Apple has become popular, and in the media, enough for more people to begin questioning Microsoft on their advances with Vista and the "similarity" to Mac OS X. I think Bill realizes this and it makes him uncomfortable.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
It almost seems now Apple has become popular, and in the media, enough for more people to begin questioning Microsoft on their advances with Vista and the "similarity" to Mac OS X. I think Bill realizes this and it makes him uncomfortable.
Yeah. And I love how Bill keeps falling back on how Apple never really comes up with anything on their own, they also copy. But the only example he can use is copying the GUI for the original Mac from Xerox. Its sad really. He should stop trying to perpetuate the lie, and just come out and admit how MS operates.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 04:38 PM

I'm struck by the fact that in the Daily Show interview, Gates didn't pitch a single new feature of Vista beyond the "parental controls." And then he went back to what seems like 1993 and started talking about interactive TV and being able to choose what you watch. Everyone was talking about that back in the 1990s and nobody ever actually made it happen because consumers just aren't interested.

How are parental controls the "first time someone has done that." Apple's had parental controls for quite a while. Is there something innovative about Vista's version of parental controls that I don't know about?

The following was painful to get because MSNBC.com has got to be one of the slowest sites I've ever been to, but here goes anyway:

Originally Posted by Bill Gates on Security in Vista
The number [of violations] will be way less because we’ve done some dramatic things [to improve security] in the code base. Apple hasn’t done any of those things.
Maybe because OS X doesn't have the security problems in the first place?

Originally Posted by Bill Gates on who did what first
You can go through and look at who showed any of these things first, if you care about the facts. If you just want to say, "Steve Jobs invented the world, and then the rest of us came along," that's fine.
Someone is a bit sensitive!

Originally Posted by Bill Gates on security
Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day, they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally. I dare anybody to do that once a month on the Windows machine. So, yes, it took us longer, and they had what we were doing, user interface-wise. Let’s be realistic, who came up with [the] file, edit, view, help [menu bar]? Do you want to go back to the original Mac and think about where those interface concepts came from?
So he's going to make the Xerox PARC argument here? And when did anyone hear about people totally taking over Macs every single day? I'd love to see a link to an article that proves that one.

Originally Posted by Bill Gates on controlling hardware and software on a phone
People like different styling, media storage, capability [in phones]. The benefit we get from having lots of great hardware partners is pretty phenomenal. And our software can run on any one of those things.
Translation: Look at me. I'm the richest man you'll ever interview. I got that way by licensing DOS to companies making cheap PCs. And I think that model holds for mobile phones.

Of course, he also thinks that a version of Windows shrunken down is the right OS for phones.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 04:49 PM

Again, it proves that Gates is so out of touch its laughable to hear him talk about his own companies technologies. He definitely knows that the majority of people understand that MS copies stuff from the Mac. He's very defensive about it when asked. What bothers me is that he flat out lies about stuff. I guess spreading misinformation about his competitors is just another effort to keep the sheeps in line. This can't last forever though. As Apple makes inroads into people's homes through iPod and iPhone and other things, people will start to pay more attention to them. And they will see how things are playing out between MS and Apple. Its just a matter of time now.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 06:46 PM

So you feel in 2010-2011 Microsoft will be back with the next big one?

Absolutely. We'll tell you how Vista just wasn't good enough, and we'll know why, too.
... once 10.5 is out.

That is the most bizarre interview I've ever read (well GWB has given us some doozies too, but...).

So what did you have for breakfast, Bill?

Two oranges and a banana. I wouldn't eat an Apple. Apples have worms, and dirt... and... stuff. Apples are just a rip-off of pears. Remember pears? Pears were around long before Apples.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 06:50 PM

So what are your dreams for the future, Bill?

Well last night I had this nightmare where I was Indiana Jones and this giant apple was rolling down a hill behind me and I was losing ground...
Run Bill, run!

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2007, 07:48 PM

Actually I have a feeling MS will be back on its feet in the 2010-20 decade. I'll dig up this post in 2015 and we'll see if I'm right or wrong (also at that date people will be joking about how the NN redesign is taking longer than Windows Vienna).

Forum Links
Forum Rules