Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Who has an iPhone?

View Poll Results: Do you have an iPhone?
Poll Options:
Yes 41 votes (50.00%)
No 9 votes (10.98%)
Plan to soon 11 votes (13.41%)
Not interested 2 votes (2.44%)
Waiting until later gen 19 votes (23.17%)
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll
Who has an iPhone?
Rumor
Jul 3, 2007, 12:45 PM

Any pros or cons you'd like to share? Does the EDGE network seem speedy enough? How does the touchsceen feel? Is the overall design pretty solid?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2007, 12:48 PM

PROS: Beautiful interface, screen is really vibrant, virtual keyboard is intuitive and works great, Wi-Fi web browsing is FAST, email works as advertised and is very easy to use, phone call quality is fantastic (reviews rate it one of the best they've ever used), software is intuitive and works as advertised.

CONS: Some minor quirks here and there that will be fixed in a software update, no 3G (if you care, I don't), no GPS (if you care, I don't), can't look at all of your email in a central Inbox (one Inbox for each account), no "Home" button in Sarari.

EDGE is fine for email, weather, stocks, and graphics-lite web sites. It's pretty slow for general web browsing. But, Wi-Fi works great.

The touch-screen is a dream. Doesn't smudge easily, is very easy to use and is very responsive.

The overall design is top-notch. It is smaller than it looks on TV and feels SOLID. Very, very well-built IMO.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2007, 01:01 PM

If you want answers to your questions, there are about 40 threads currently running.

macguru234
Baninated
Jul 3, 2007, 03:26 PM

I dont think I will ever buy one...

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2007, 04:57 PM

Im typing this on my iPhone using the NYC museum wifi. The iPhone is easily the best cellphone (or gadget) that I have ever used. Its shocking how good the ui is.

I asked my wife "do you think this will actually change cellphone, like people have claimed?" she answered "well, could you go back to using a RAZR or BlackBerry?"
she has a point; its changed cellphones in my eyes.
( Last edited by mdc; Jul 3, 2007 at 07:45 PM. )

mkerr64
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 07:05 PM

not in my country .... yet
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by mkerr64 View Post
not in my country .... yet
Exactly

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2007, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I asked my wife "do you think this will actually change cellphone, like people have claimed?" she answered "well, could you go back to using a RAZR or BlackBerry?"
she has a point; its changed cellphones in my eyes.
Yes, for all its faults, the difference between the iPhone's UI and that of the average cell phone is like the difference between Windows 3.0 and OS X Tiger.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
PROS: Beautiful interface, screen is really vibrant, virtual keyboard is intuitive and works great, Wi-Fi web browsing is FAST, email works as advertised and is very easy to use, phone call quality is fantastic (reviews rate it one of the best they've ever used), software is intuitive and works as advertised.

CONS: Some minor quirks here and there that will be fixed in a software update, no 3G (if you care, I don't), no GPS (if you care, I don't), can't look at all of your email in a central Inbox (one Inbox for each account), no "Home" button in Sarari.

EDGE is fine for email, weather, stocks, and graphics-lite web sites. It's pretty slow for general web browsing. But, Wi-Fi works great.

The touch-screen is a dream. Doesn't smudge easily, is very easy to use and is very responsive.

The overall design is top-notch. It is smaller than it looks on TV and feels SOLID. Very, very well-built IMO.
What he said. Also, the iPod features are outstanding, photo viewing is just about perfect, watching videos is an excellent experience, and Visual Voicemail is everything I thought it would be.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2007, 04:38 AM

My iPhone is easily the greatest gadget I've ever laid hands on. I love it... LOVE IT!

That being said, there are some quirks here and there. None that I'm not confident will be fixed in software updates. Not being able to view all mail in one list is an oversight, for sure, but likely easily fixed.

I never really feared the keyboard, but it was a concern. After less than a week, I'm doing the 2 thumb thing with ease and it's easily as usable as my old BlackBerry 7100T... The one with two letters on each key. The predictive type is smart and the (now) cliched "trust" method really is the key.

I just wish wifi was as ubiquitous as the people in Cupertino believe it is. Outside of home (of course), college campuses and the occasional coffee shop, many of us are on EDGE. They're just not beamin' that delicious wifi into the suburbs the way they are in dense urban areas.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2007, 01:54 PM

Got it on iDay. (I'm at right; the guy on left was going to wait for 1.1 or 2 but was seduced by the Steve side whilst standing in line.)

Having been a user of tablet devices from the GO PenPoint / EO tablets, Apple Newtons (110 - 2000), Palms (III, V, Treo), etc., I can heartily say that the iPhone blows them all so far away that were I an employee of any of these companies with any decision-making powers I'd go hang my head in shame for about a week.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 04:27 AM

I ordered my online and expect it on the 24th.

Tonight there are only 2 stores in the US that have iPhones in stock.

ph0ust
Senior User
Jul 5, 2007, 03:08 PM

i'll get one when att makes it worth my while to switch. i am not stoked i have to use them for service (with t-mobile now and i used to be a [unhappy] cingular customer). once there is a subsidy or discount for new customers i'll probably get one. i suspect that once these things are fully stocked everywhere on a regular/continuous basis they will changed their current set of take it or leave it demands. i just hope that day comes sooner rather than later cuz i f'ing hate my treo and have been waiting for this!

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2007, 03:22 PM

We were vacationing in New Orleans (Police concert) during the weekend release. As we were walking back to the hotel from the Quarter we ran into an AT&T store. On a whim, I checked inside and they had one left, having received only two it seems. While everything I'd ever said (no first generation products, wait for price drop/memory bump. etc.) told me not to, I did. So now almost a week later my 4g sits unopened as I struggle to decide whether it's worth it. We already have Cingular/At&T and my current phone is dying ( A Seimens borrowed after my Sony Ericson unceremoniously stopped). I don't even know if it's feasible to return it here in Texas after having purchased in New Orleans. We went to the Apple store here in San Antonio and played with them and although they seemed to be slightly warm, they did what they claimed to do, pretty impressive. Perhaps I should just stop worrying and learn to love the iphone, or as my wife calls every new Apple release, the iGottaHaveIt.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 03:37 PM

^ Dying phone, existing AT&T contract, and an unopened iPhone on your desk. You, my friend, have more will power than I would!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2007, 03:45 PM

I want one now. I already have AT&T, so I won't be disappointed with the network.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
An unopened iPhone on your desk. You, my friend, have more will power than I would!
Forget everything else, just having an iPhone near me and not opening it would be terrible.

I find it impressive that 80% of this poll is a variation of No, yet Yes has 50% of the votes.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2007, 04:31 PM

i will have one tomorrow.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 04:47 PM

I voted "plan to soon," but I found out my local Apple store just got another shipment, and I may purchase it tonight and just pay the fee to disconnect my verizon service.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

milhouse
Senior User
Jul 6, 2007, 12:41 AM

Edge is fairly speedy except for youtube. I mostly use WiFi at various locations. Mail and web browsing are acceptable on Edge though I've heard it will get even better. Pricing plans are quite fair, assuming I understood what I was purchasing.

The controls are superb, though it needs a few more options like custom ringtones (not for me however) real iCal alarmsl - that you can actually choose and hear.

It is beautifully done. If the next rev had GPS and 15GB, it would really hit a sweet spot for many.

Also, afer two days, the AT&T coverage and call quality is better than verizon and my Treo 700.

I was also able to walk in to a local applestore on Tuesday and simplypick up an 8GB model, no waiting.
"-Dodge This"

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2007, 10:48 PM

I'm pretty happy with mine. I read everything on Apple's website and watched all the videos before making the purchase - I wanted to know exactly what I was getting, since so much about the functionality was kept secret for so long.

So, while the phone isn't perfect, I've yet to see one that is. And, so far, the iPhone (for me and how I use it) is the best currently available.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 10, 2007, 10:07 PM

About 10 days after purchase, I finally decided to keep my 4g. All this time it had been sitting unopened in the sock drawer, suffocating inside Apple's exquisite packaging. The very helpful young lady at the AT&T store was able to change our exisiting phones (which had been on my mom's account) into our name. Activation was no problem and so far I would say it has been totally worth it. I'm looking forward to trying getting to know it.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 10:28 PM

I ordered mine online and expect it by the middle of next week.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules