Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 1-18-08

1-18-08 (Page 3)
Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2007, 06:02 PM

No way! It will rule like Dragon Wars...
If I had a signature, it would be better than yours.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2007, 06:40 AM

With the writers strike, maybe they should change the title to 5-11-08.

They hype reminds me of Blair Witch.

You WILL BE Disappointed.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2007, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Y3a View Post
With the writers strike, maybe they should change the title to 5-11-08.
I suspect that shooting stopped quite a while ago. I doubt the writers strike is going to affect this movie. While there may be some writing that would happen in post, I doubt it would be anything significant.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2007, 02:59 PM

I think this will be Godzilla as done like Blair Witch Project. You will see nothing of the creature. Hype for an experiment in media.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2007, 05:02 PM

Trailer now up at Apple.com.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 12:45 PM

Schweet. Thanks I don't have a frame number, but the quick sequence where the army is firing at something, you get a quick glimpse of what looks like part of the creature between the buildings.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 02:30 PM

yeah, I looked at in on a 30" monitor with the hi res download. I still think this movie is gonna suck like a shop-vac.
Do YOU wanna sit through almost 2 hours of jerky, hand-held camera shots?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 04:27 PM

Watch 1:11 to 1:12 in frame by frame, and watch the lady's silhouette.

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Watch 1:11 to 1:12 in frame by frame, and watch the lady's silhouette.
Is it two guys in radiation suits who are taking her away?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 04:43 PM

No, watch her body turn into a blob.

This:

Becomes this (with sound effects):

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
yeah, I looked at in on a 30" monitor with the hi res download. I still think this movie is gonna suck like a shop-vac.
Do YOU wanna sit through almost 2 hours of jerky, hand-held camera shots?
Well, the Bourne movies were ok.

I have to go watch this film, if for no other reason than to possibly get a glimpse of Shub-Niggurath.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2007, 10:05 PM

Wow, good eye. I watched those frames and didn't even notice.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2007, 10:34 PM

Does anyone else think those shadows look like giant anthropomorphized rats? The ones on either side of the lady?
On video it's clear they aren't, but from the pictures, I see giant rat-men...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2007, 11:23 PM

I spotted those things too on first watch through. It kinda gives me some hope for the movie. The monster is flowy and formless it seems in that quick glimpse; definitely gives credence to it possibly being a Lovecraft inspired beastie. I don't remember any Lovecraft creatures turning other beings into them. All large monsters from the Cthulhu Mythos are known as Elder Gods. This could also be a take on one of his direct peers' stories; like August Derleth for example. Hopefully it'll be good, whether it's something 100% new or inspired from the greats. I have been optimistically waiting for this movie since the first trailer.
If I had a signature, it would be better than yours.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2007, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
Does anyone else think those shadows look like giant anthropomorphized rats? The ones on either side of the lady?
On video it's clear they aren't, but from the pictures, I see giant rat-men...
They look more like giant hamsters.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2007, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
They look more like giant hamsters.
Aw, c'mon, you know you want to see this flick.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2007, 06:34 AM

I also read that in the last bit, from inside the helicopter, you see its face as the chopper is spinning around. My Sci-Fi BS detector is pegged on this movie. This movie concept/execution might be even worse than the remake of "Day the Earth Stood Still"!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2007, 06:59 AM

This:

Becomes this (with sound effects):

Production stills from the movie show the reverse side of that screen (or so i've seen on other forums). Its guys in bio hazard suits taking her down. The big fluffyness of the suits makes weird shadows. Sorry to ruin the fun.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2007, 08:02 AM

I disagree.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2007, 10:28 AM

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2007, 10:42 AM

It's Violet Beauregarde!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2007, 07:36 PM

It looks like she's ripping a tracksuit off to me...

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2007, 08:28 PM

I also read that in the last bit, from inside the helicopter, you see its face as the chopper is spinning around. My Sci-Fi BS detector is pegged on this movie. This movie concept/execution might be even worse than the remake of "Day the Earth Stood Still"!
Please. Never again mention that someone has decided to remake "Day the Earth Stood Still"
I had it blotted from my consciousness until now.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 22, 2007, 07:56 AM

Jennifer Connelly Joins Keanu Reeves in 'Day the Earth Stood Still' Remake

Posted Nov 6th 2007 10:32AM by Christopher Campbell

Wait, they still cast Jennifer Connelly in non-melodramatic roles? According to Variety, the actress has signed on for the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still. She will take on the part of "Helen Benson", the character originally played by Patricia Neal (who hopefully will be able to make a cameo), and as she does in every film, the Oscar-winning Connelly will likely emote way too much. Sure, she's fine for a lot of serious dramas, but when it comes to sci-fi/comic book movies, she hasn't really fit the part since Labyrinth, and even then she was a bit too pouty. Of course, she may seem more chipper in this remake, as she'll be acting opposite Mr. Serious himself, Keanu Reeves. As we learned long ago, Reeves will be portraying the alien Klaatu. Variety also reports that Kathy Bates may co-star in the movie, but doesn't mention the role she'd play.

I guess in some ways The Day the Earth Stood Still is a sci-fi melodrama, and Neal herself emoted plenty. In fact, she looked like she was going to start screaming and/or bawling in nearly every scene I recall. But then, she doesn't actually cry when you expect her to. She almost acts like more of a robot than Gort. And this should be fine, since aside from emoting, Connelly is good at looking drowsy and a bit empty. Anyway, I can't imagine the remake is going to have the same serious tone as the original. Hollywood just doesn't make movies like that anymore. Certainly the redo will not have Bernard Hermann's iconic music or Leo Tover's beautiful black and white cinematography to give it the same atmosphere. As we've told you previously, the new version is being directed by Scott Derrickson (The Exorcism of Emily Rose) and has been written, according to Variety, by novelist Ryne Douglas Pearson (Simple Simon which became the movie Mercury Rising) and David Scarpa (The Last Castle), who penned a rewrite. The remake begins shooting in Vancouver next month.

Tags: cinematical, david scarpa, DavidScarpa, film, gort,

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2007, 10:32 AM

I still think this movie looks cool. Then again I don't get motion sickness from movies/games.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 12:51 PM

A decent slo-mo of the monster's legs here.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2007, 05:23 PM

Jennifer Connelly Joins Keanu Reeves in 'Day the Earth Stood Still' Remake

Posted Nov 6th 2007 10:32AM by Christopher Campbell

Wait, they still cast Jennifer Connelly in non-melodramatic roles? According to Variety, the actress has signed on for the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still. She will take on the part of "Helen Benson", the character originally played by Patricia Neal (who hopefully will be able to make a cameo), and as she does in every film, the Oscar-winning Connelly will likely emote way too much. Sure, she's fine for a lot of serious dramas, but when it comes to sci-fi/comic book movies, she hasn't really fit the part since Labyrinth, and even then she was a bit too pouty. Of course, she may seem more chipper in this remake, as she'll be acting opposite Mr. Serious himself, Keanu Reeves. As we learned long ago, Reeves will be portraying the alien Klaatu. Variety also reports that Kathy Bates may co-star in the movie, but doesn't mention the role she'd play.

I guess in some ways The Day the Earth Stood Still is a sci-fi melodrama, and Neal herself emoted plenty. In fact, she looked like she was going to start screaming and/or bawling in nearly every scene I recall. But then, she doesn't actually cry when you expect her to. She almost acts like more of a robot than Gort. And this should be fine, since aside from emoting, Connelly is good at looking drowsy and a bit empty. Anyway, I can't imagine the remake is going to have the same serious tone as the original. Hollywood just doesn't make movies like that anymore. Certainly the redo will not have Bernard Hermann's iconic music or Leo Tover's beautiful black and white cinematography to give it the same atmosphere. As we've told you previously, the new version is being directed by Scott Derrickson (The Exorcism of Emily Rose) and has been written, according to Variety, by novelist Ryne Douglas Pearson (Simple Simon which became the movie Mercury Rising) and David Scarpa (The Last Castle), who penned a rewrite. The remake begins shooting in Vancouver next month.

Tags: cinematical, david scarpa, DavidScarpa, film, gort,
Wonderful Jenny could very well be reading this, -she is a Mac user-

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 12:29 PM

Link to a spoiler clip on youtube. Video of the scene in the subway, when the parasites attack. I actually find them to be creepier than the big monster.

Parasites

Grab it quick if you're interested. It will probably get pulled at some point.

Anyone else going to see Cloverfield? I'm going to probably catch it Saturday morning.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
Link to a spoiler clip on youtube. Video of the scene in the subway, when the parasites attack. I actually find them to be creepier than the big monster.

Parasites

Grab it quick if you're interested. It will probably get pulled at some point.

Anyone else going to see Cloverfield? I'm going to probably catch it Saturday morning.
Wow, you can't really see much can you? I have a bad feeling that even though the movie will be good it will just have glimpses of action that you can make out with that shaky camera.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 12:46 PM

don't be such a downer swg

i'm going to be seeing this on Friday for sure

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
don't be such a downer swg

i'm going to be seeing this on Friday for sure
Oh I am excited about it and am going this sat I just hope the only way we are actually going to see any of the monsters is by watching it on DVD and hitting pause.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 12:53 PM

My wife, friends, and I will be going Saturday night.

Running time is 84 minutes, so not too long with the shakey-cam.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 01:43 PM

there's an animated .gif floating around of a closeup of the monster too, but not sure where I saw it. It looks completely freaky. It's interesting to hear feedback from people who saw it in sneak preview showings. Lots of people saying the camera motion made some viewers feel a bit nauseated.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 12:20 AM

there's a midnight showing tonight in Boston, but it's to freakin cold at the moment to go see it, and besides the T will be closed after.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 11:55 AM

I gave serious thought to catching the midnight showing last night, but in the end decided it's not worth the pain of being half-asleep while at work today.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 02:43 PM

Our local TV BLOG had this review:

I'm not going to post spoilers here, but I have some major gripes with this movie.

Don't pay $10 to see it, just read some spoilers online somewhere when they inevitably leak this weekend.

I was super psyched for this move, as I love horror movies and giant monster types, especially.

Without giving too much away:

-It's a love story
-The camerawork is physically nauseating
-The monster's only on screen for, like, 3 minutes total and you never get a very good look at it
-It's only about 80 minutes long (20 of which are before the monster even shows up)
-VERY inconclusive ending

I'm mostly annoyed because they built the hype on the monster ("SOMETHING HAS FOUND US") and then don't deliver AT ALL. If they'd promoted it as "watch a love story that happens to take place during an attack by a giant monster," then I would have been better prepared.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 03:02 PM

I'm mostly annoyed because they built the hype on the monster ("SOMETHING HAS FOUND US") and then don't deliver AT ALL. If they'd promoted it as "watch a love story that happens to take place during an attack by a giant monster," then I would have been better prepared.
That's how H. P. Lovecraft works, I think Abrams did a good job conveying that. You never really see the monster too close or for too long, to do so is to stare into the face of madness. You'll go insane.

You see glimpses of it, the aftermath, and the side-effects; most importantly, you never know if it's ever going to end. Is it just the beginning?

I'll see how my own criticism lives up to it, I'll be seeing it tonight.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Lava Lamp Freak
Jan 18, 2008, 06:58 PM

I thought it was great. It was exactly what I was expecting. I thought it was frightening. Definitely worth seeing at the theater.

The camera only bothered me when it was at an angle. I found myself turning my head to make it straight, and noticed others in the theater doing the same. I like the technique though. It made me feel like I was living through this experience.

I didn't feel like it was short.

The ending was abrupt and felt awkward. Many of us in the theater just sat there in a state of shock like we were waiting for something else to happen.

I didn't think about it until the credits started rolling, but I believe that this is the first movie I've ever seen that didn't have a soundtrack. I was terrified enough with all of the monster noises that I didn't think about it.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 07:28 PM

an entire studio feature shot with a handheld camcorder?

no thanks, at least not in the theater. sh*t, i got seasick when i saw the bourne flicks.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 18, 2008, 07:33 PM

Reply to text in spoiler tag on page one:

Happy birthday, Dork.!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2008, 07:34 PM

I caught a midnight showing last night with a bunch of friends, and a few thoughts. Spoilers will be clocked out, obviously.

First off, don't go if you get considerable motion sickness. My friend left about thirty minutes into the movie because she was about to hurl on the guy in front of her. Personally, I thought it was an interesting perspective on an otherwise tired genre.

The movie's plot is fairly simple: don't expect rich character development or an epic plot. And yes, there's a little romance. It's not a scary movie though: the trailer for The Eye freaked me out much more than the movie itself. Instead it's mostly about building tension and releasing it in unexpected ways.

Spoilers:

Overall, it's a fun movie if you don't mind the camera issues.

Oh, and there are no anthropomorphic rats. I promise.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Reply to text in spoiler tag on page one:

Happy birthday, Dork.!
Thank you!

No interest in seeing the movie, though. Sorry.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2008, 12:56 AM

Yeah, I saw it at a 7:45 showing and it was packed. The largest screen at the complex and there wasn't an empty seat in the place. Which also meant I ended up in the second row with my girlfriend in the group of level seats infront of the stadium seating.

My girlfriend was getting sick and had a headache. I had really bad eye strain. Not a movie you want to watch close up. The guy holding the camera was pretty silly but in a believable way.

Like others have said, its short, and a love story. The movie was ok but it could have been better.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2008, 01:09 AM

i was waiting in line for the 7:30 time. sold out while i was in line, "okay" i think to my self "8:45 is okay" waiting waiting... sells out while in line. "ooo, a 9:30" waits and 3rd from getting to the front it sells out. now i'm getting a lil annoyed. NICE! a 10:15... gets to the front and ask for two tickets "sorry sir that showing just sold out. there's one at 11:45" turned to date and she shook her head and we left. 40 minutes waiting in line for nothing. we'll see it in a few days for sure after all the hype dies down

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2008, 01:53 AM

At 5:30 today I started looking for tickets and a lot of theaters were sold out until 11 tonight. I managed to get seats for myself and some friends and I just got home from watching it.

Without giving too much away:
-It's a love story
-The camerawork is physically nauseating
-The monster's only on screen for, like, 3 minutes total and you never get a very good look at it
-It's only about 80 minutes long (20 of which are before the monster even shows up)
-VERY inconclusive ending

If you don't mind minor spoilers, I disagree with some of the stuff you said.

( Last edited by mdc; Jan 19, 2008 at 02:03 AM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2008, 03:36 AM

I saw it. I liked it — even the ending, though I agree it was kind of frustrating.

Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2008, 01:51 PM

I thought it was great. I liked the ending also, it did make sense.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2008, 08:43 PM

I saw the object crash into the sea, although if I'd not known to look for it I would've missed it.

My own opinion: It was exactly what I was hoping for in this flick, and will probably catch it again sometime. Two thumbs up. Wonder if they'll keep up some of the viral sites throughout the next couple of months, just to provide some more backstory.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2008, 09:01 PM

What an awful, overhyped, viral marketing crap of a movie.

80% of the action you've seen in the trailers. The rest is just a couple shots of the beastie which isn't terribly impressive.

I've been looking forward to this movie for 6+ months and it was just crap. people were actually leaving during the movie and at the end people just sorta smirked with couple of the biggest geeks nervously clapping without getting any support

Anyway, I give it 1.5 out of 5 at best. This is what lots of hype and a name behind it results in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules