Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I need Atlanta hotel recommendations. I'm going highpointing.

I need Atlanta hotel recommendations. I'm going highpointing.
alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2008, 03:35 PM

I will be in Atlanta shortly to go highpointing with my family (visiting some of the highest points in every state). I need a recommendation for a hotel on the north side of Atlanta that is good for a family (3 small kids) and under $200/night.

I will eventually be staying in the following cities while I'm near Atlanta:

Atlanta (of course)
Asheville N.C.
Somewhere near the Smoky Mountains
Somewhere near Blairsville (GA)

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm just looking for clean, safe hotels that will allow us to see an interesting part of the U.S. Someone here has to have better recommendations than just picking a hotel from Google. Thanks!

Cold Warrior
Jul 3, 2008, 05:29 PM

Atlanta Hilton and Towers on Peachtree (I think) is nice. They have a very nice restaurant (coat and tie required) on the top of the hotel with a beautiful view of Atlanta (such as it is).

Not sure what the rate is nowadays.

I'm not a fan of the city anyway and don't consider it a high point of anything, but I've managed to have to be there many times over the years.

edit: the restaurant is called Nikolai's Roof. Its style is Russian and Western European / French cuisine.
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Jul 4, 2008 at 11:18 AM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2008, 06:40 PM

I like the Atlanta Hilton. There are a lot of crappy hotels in Atlanta, so don't stay in anything less then a 4 or 5 star marque. The DoubleTree in Atlanta is very nice too. And they have good cookies.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2008, 01:42 AM

What about warm Coke or Pepsi?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2008, 11:13 AM

You can't drink Pepsi in Atlanta!

Cold Warrior
Jul 4, 2008, 11:19 AM

You can't drink anything outside in Atlanta because you won't be able to quickly reload your TEC-9 one-handed.

Seriously, does anyone like that city?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2008, 11:22 AM

I like certain areas of it, but only for about an hour after I get there.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 4, 2008, 02:42 PM

freaknik
ice

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2008, 02:50 PM

I grew up in Snellville, which is not too far from Stone Mountain. It used to be a very very nice town, but now it's a suburb of Atlanta because of encroachment and the traffic suxxxorsss!!!

jonn804
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2008, 07:11 PM

The Glenn Hotel..... by CNN, Coke, Olympic Park, and the subway.
-------------------
Dual G5 2.0, MBP, 23" ACD and 30" ACD, 1 TB storage, iPods

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
You can't drink anything outside in Atlanta because you won't be able to quickly reload your TEC-9 one-handed.

Seriously, does anyone like that city?
What? Maybe I've lived here too long and don't notice it.

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
freaknik
Best "party" in Atlanta EVER!

Cold Warrior
Jul 4, 2008, 07:56 PM

I may be using a bit of hyperbole, but only a bit. Atlanta has one of the highest violent crime rates in the country.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2008, 03:41 PM

Yes, I'm aware of the reputation, but I still need to stay there. Can someone direct me to a safe part of the city on the north side? What suburbs are generally more upscale? I'll do the research on the hotels from there.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2008, 06:23 PM

Buckhead and Sandy Springs.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2008, 12:53 PM

Go to the site: ratestogo.com
You will be able to find a hotel in any cities in the world at almost any prices.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2008, 02:19 PM

The Hilton and Towers, if it's the one I'm thinking of downtown, is really nice, just make sure to ask to stay in the Garden rooms. The first time I stayed was in the tower and it was smallish whereas the Garden/Atrium rooms are larger. Have to say though, it was the nicest small room I've ever stayed in, marble and granite and brass etc. Great view, being in the Tower, the rooms are just sort of a funny wedgeish shape since the towers round. That one was on Peachtree definitely, however bear in mind that there are literally about 700 Peachtree Streets/Lanes/Boulevards/etc in Atlanta. Its in a pretty good area though, walkable/skateable if it wasn't SO f'ing humid. I hate that damn city just for that reason only.

Were I you, I'd stay in Buckhead/Midtown/Uptown area.

While you're there, stop in his place: http://www.octanecoffee.com/
Killer coffeebar populated entirely by attractive people with laptops. Hip neighborhood, great environment, some freelancers use the place for their mailing address.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2008, 08:23 PM

What exactly is highpointing?

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2008, 08:46 PM

Highpointing is attempting to visit the highest point in a given area. My family is trying for all 50 states. Some are easy (like near Atlanta) and some are very, very hard (like Mt. McKinley in Alaska). This is just for fun and to see the country, so there's no pressure. Flights to Atlanta were dirt cheap ($200). The peaks are drive-ups for the surrounding area.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 8, 2008, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
What exactly is highpointing?
Your answer is in the first sentence of the first post of this thread:

Originally Posted by alligator
visiting some of the highest points in every state

Also, there's this cool site called "google".

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2008, 10:08 PM

Seriously, what is it? Are you visiting the high points of a state, as in, the main highlights, or the geographical areas of peak heights? Would you please google it and explain it to me, Railroader? Evidently you have nothing better to do.

Railroader
Banned
Jul 8, 2008, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Seriously, what is it? Are you visiting the high points of a state, as in, the main highlights, or the geographical areas of peak heights? Would you please google it and explain it to me, Railroader? Evidently you have nothing better to do.
Lowpointing would be reading your posts. Highpointing would be the exact opposite of that.

Seriously, that's what google tells me.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2008, 08:28 PM

Okay, so I thought I'd update this thread. Atlanta isn't as bad of a city as I expected. And to be honest, the people down south aren't all freaky like the movie Deliverance. We've covered three states thus far, and will stop at our last state tomorrow. I kind of like it here. Not at all like the midwest, very green and dense forests here, with lots of large mountains.

I'm off to the Coke museum on Thursday. Yum!

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
And to be honest, the people down south aren't all freaky like the movie Deliverance.
Someone hasn't visited Bossier City.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Aug 19, 2008, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Okay, so I thought I'd update this thread. Atlanta isn't as bad of a city as I expected. And to be honest, the people down south aren't all freaky like the movie Deliverance. We've covered three states thus far, and will stop at our last state tomorrow. I kind of like it here. Not at all like the midwest, very green and dense forests here, with lots of large mountains.

I'm off to the Coke museum on Thursday. Yum!
Atlanta's decently nice, minus humidity, traffic, and people that have not a clue in the world how to operate a motor vehicle (which causes that traffic). As for people, you will find the Deliverance types on occasion (can't speak for far outside the city or other southeastern states), but in the Atlanta metro area, it's not too bad. I think a lot of people that live here are originally from out of state and even out of region. That helps a bit.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 20, 2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Someone hasn't visited Bossier City.
Seriously dude, that is the best example of inbred-hick-backwater-southerners as you can get. There's this one guy, he adds vignetting to almost all of his pictures. And he does this thing called "jowling" with his friends. No normal person would "jowl", let alone do it with a bunch of other guys.... ewww!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2008, 12:15 AM

Get some Firefly Vodka while you are in the south. Dangerously wonderful stuff if you enjoy sweet tea. Not so available outside of the south just yet.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules