Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > help - my life is a mess

help - my life is a mess
JoJo777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2009, 04:23 PM

This is my first, and maybe only, post here. I should preface my question by stating the facts: I'm a married mother of a 3 year old with a husband who is a musician and often traveling. His family life is messy (he doesn't talk to his brothers, his ex-wife tried to make his daughter take a paternity test to get money when her "other" man died, his kids pretty much hate me no matter what I do, and his parents are kinda void of feeling) and there is little support. My family is back in the midwest, and they are pretty supportive, although I have issues there also.

Anyway, I want to be confident, assertive, outgoing, and healthy but I have no self confidence and seem drawn to bad situations. I end up blowing up on people after I feel taken advantage of for long time so I keep burning my bridges everywhere. And I can't seem to focus on anything...ever. I had the best vocal coach in NYC but I couldn't follow through, my acting teacher wanted me to go on auditions but I couldn't go, I even won a trip to space camp when I was young but I threw away the ticket because I didn't want to upset anyone!!!

What the heck is wrong and how can I fix it? I've tried medication, counseling etc. and it doesn't change me. So now I'm in a very unhealthy marriage and have a child who is semi-autistic and I can't handle anything. I was going to just pack a bag and jump on a bus the other day, but I knew that as far as I went I could never get away from me.

And I'm stuck with these stupid self inflicted scars from my adolescence on my arm, so I dread summer. And worse than the scars are my memories of my mom telling me not to lose my razor blade because she wouldn't want someone else getting hurt and not to get blood on her sofa, etc. Once, I accidently cut my leg while I was drunk and fooling around and my husband threw me on the ground and started kicking me saying, "You stupid bitch, don't embarrass me!"

I just want to start over again. Or just be happy and healthy for maybe the first time in my 30 years. Please help me - any suggestions are welcome.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2009, 04:35 PM

Well, I can only imagine that this is a good first step.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2009, 04:45 PM

What counseling have you tried ?

I think you need a bit stronger psychological "medicine". Seems like you won't be able to break yourself out, so you need someone else to help you with it.

-t

andi*pandi
Jul 2, 2009, 04:56 PM

What do you have that's positive. Start by counting up that. And building up self-esteem. And squirrelling away some money.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 2, 2009, 05:40 PM

That you have asked for help should be proof that you do have control over something - build on that. andi*pandi's correct about keeping track of your positives, too. It's way too easy to forget about really good things about yourself and your life when you have lesser bad things staring you in the face, so take a minute now and then to just think of those good, positive things.

Once you realize that you ARE a good person (maybe with some bad breaks and bad decisions behind you), you can think more clearly about what's causing your distress. Your husband-is his "messy" family something that impacts you, or is it really just his behavior? Your child-you said "semi-autistic," so what sorts of steps have you taken to get help with that? There is a whole lot of potentially helpful therapy and assistance out there.

Are you unhappy at being stuck at home? That's something you can do something about by yourself. Start with taking a walk. Stretching your legs and walking a block or two could help you out a lot; fresh air, exercise and a sense of "doing what you chose to do" are all very useful things.

One more thing: you are only responsible for yourself and what you do. Other people's actions and feelings are their responsibility. All you NEED to do is to take care not to be intentionally or needlessly rude or mean. Let go of the sense that you are to blame for anything you haven't done. I've seen people with scars that say a lot about their youth, but they've moved beyond that because, while they can't change their past, they can overcome it. You can too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2009, 06:13 PM

Well, you joined MacNN so that was an excellent move.
We've fixed more people's lives than Dr Phil and Ty Pennington put together.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2009, 07:22 PM

I'd run and start a new life somewhere else. Change everything.

I wouldn't worry about the scars though. Most people prob wouldn't care for ****, some find them hot.

ringo
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2009, 07:25 PM

Join the Y and start exercising regularly. Get those endorphins pumping, it will help increase your feeling of well being.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2009, 10:10 PM

Divorce.

Never ever get involved with professional musicians, athletes or actors. If they are successful they'll cheat on you, and if they're not they'll still use their bed sheets as curtains when they are thirty.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2009, 10:23 PM

What medications have you tried? It sucks to keep going when it seems like nothing works, but there are many antidepressants out there, and there could very well be one that will work for you. I tried four different ones before I finally found that worked, and it made an enormous difference in my life.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2009, 10:23 PM

^ Aren't you dating a singer?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2009, 01:03 AM

I may actually never come back to MacNN after reading the OP. geez
i just realized that internet forums were for the dregs of society... adios amigos

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2009, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Never ever get involved with professional musicians, athletes or actors. If they are successful they'll cheat on you, and if they're not they'll still use their bed sheets as curtains when they are thirty.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2009, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I'm with you on this. I frequently work with all of the above, and if there's one thing that surprised me when I started doing so is just how normal everybody is.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2009, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Divorce.

(I truly am sorry about your experience)

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2009, 07:49 AM

Rob?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Forum Links
Forum Rules