Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is Apple's PDF renderer that bad?

Is Apple's PDF renderer that bad?
pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2013, 05:49 PM

So, I have heard a complaint from a number of graphic artists about Apple's PDF renderer built in to OS X, and how it is pretty inferior. I never really gave it much thought until today.

I design my own pages for stamp collecting using an open source desktop publishing program called Scribus. The final product is exported to PDF using an embedded PDF renderer in the app. I then went and fired up preview and printed a page onto 67 lb. cover stock from Staples. I felt the pages looked rather dull, and I at first thought that perhaps the paper had absorbed some of the ink and "fuzzed out" the text. Because the results didn't look nearly as good as they did on the color laser at work.

So, then, for yucks, I loaded the same file in Adobe Acrobat Pro 10. I printed a page out, and it was like night and day! The text was crisper and clearer. It looked as good as the laser output from work.

Has anyone else seen these kinds of results?

Technical for the nozy:

Printer: Epson Artisan 835
Font: Liberation Sans
Computer: Apple Mac mini running Mountain Lion, patched through today.
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2013, 06:55 PM

Part of this might be some of the PDF compression settings used by OS X and their defaults?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2013, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Part of this might be some of the PDF compression settings used by OS X and their defaults?
But why would that matter when printing a file ?

It seems like Acrobat prints better than OS X. If that's the case, it's a real problem.

-t

pastusza  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2013, 11:28 PM

Well, Adobe did invent PDF. It stand to reason they would know the ins and outs of making it print better.
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules