Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Airport card/Pismo damage

Airport card/Pismo damage
CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2000, 10:27 AM

so, this probably beloongs here, tho it's Airport-related...has anyone else had difficulty installing the card in Powerbooks? I received my card(s) and attempted to install on in my new Pismo when I noticed that somethin' wasn't quite right when seating the card...well, there was a little plastic tag, just a product of incomplete manufacturing, partially blocking one of the tiny holes...long story short one of the pins is quite bent and Apple, thru the dealer, says that this is classified under 'abuse' tho the dealer has done the same thing when installing these and Apple has covered it. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a certain number or department that I should attempt to speak to regarding getting a CS code for repair? The Airport slot is a part of the upper case housing, so it's not quite as simple as takin' it apart and straightening the pin... thanks!

one of my students reported a similar problem, but then she droppped ou, so I've no idea how it was resolved...guess I should make those assignments easier! 8-)

:ryan
[email protected]

jaguarandi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2000, 10:52 PM

Ohhhhhh yes, I am all too familiar with this problem....

I tried installing the AP card myself - I had done it in several computers beforehand, so figured I knew what I was doing). The computer wouldn't boot with the AP card in, but would once I removed it. I swapped it with the card out of my G4 to see if it was the card, but still nothing.

Turns out some of the pins were bent, just like yours. Apple covered the repair, even though the dealer said that I bent the pins myself (which is open to debate, although I try to use the kid-gloves approach to working on my systems). I had to wait a week for the top shell to come in, and when they installed it, my keyboard died (??), which they also replaced under warranty.

It's the only problem I've had with this machine, and I'm glad I got it fixed, but I did have to do a bit of arm twisting to do it.

Good luck ,
/eric

CMYKid  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2000, 01:04 PM

thanks... arm-twisting is exactly what it took to get a CS code...and a few callbacks and threats to ship a couple hundred classroom Macs COD to Apple... 8-)

looks like they'll do it free, may hafta send it to Apple tho, since the dealer is kinda wary...thanks for thew advice. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one...

Forum Links
Forum Rules