Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook RAM...different sizes?

Powerbook RAM...different sizes?
CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2001, 12:14 PM

ok...i should know this...is it not true that the lower slot in the Pismos requires a low profile DIMM? I'm itchin to order someof those 98 dollar 512MB cips, but I'd lie to know beforehand...

thanks, ryan...

atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2001, 12:35 PM

Other World Computing's 98 dollar chip:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...&Item=TPW512LF

says specifically: "2" Full Size SO-DIMM - works in the upper or lower slot in all of the above listed Apple machines."

I'm itching to get one, too. I've been tracking the prices on ramseeker.com, and OWC's price has come down from about 108 over the last week. Dropped every day. I'm going to hold out a few more days and see if I can get it under 100 including quick shipping.

If you pick it up sooner, please report back.

CMYKid  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2001, 12:54 PM

yeah, i saw that...but i've never heard of other world and I've seen SO much bad info regarding RAM chips and compatibilities that I thot I'd ask...

:ryan

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2001, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by CMYKid:
<STRONG>yeah, i saw that...but i've never heard of other world and I've seen SO much bad info regarding RAM chips and compatibilities that I thot I'd ask...

:ryan</STRONG>

I used OWC for years, they are very reliable. They often are recommendedby DealMac

Steve

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 3, 2001, 08:07 PM

Both slots are full size.

Apple's own specifications say that full size SODIMMs work in both slots (by way of not specifying that the lower slot needs a low-profile DIMM).

tooki

CMYKid  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2001, 11:29 PM

thanks...thats along the lines of what I thot but if I make them buy me somethin and then hafta return it, well, the egg is on de face... 8-)

thanks..

:ryan

Raman
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2001, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
<STRONG>
I used OWC for years, they are very reliable. They often are recommendedby DealMac
Steve</STRONG>
I ordered 2 512's for my Pismo on Monday morning and they hadn't sent it out yet (as of Wednesday July 4th which is a U.S. holiday).

CMYKid  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2001, 12:27 AM

yea, i don't use Mammary to Go anymore for that reason....
I ordered somethign from them and paid for Next Day FedEx...
3 days later they shipped my chip...then refused to credit the difference in shipping costs between Next Day and Regular...

i told them that they could credit me the 10 bucks or I'd take the 4000 dollar RAM order for our institution that was on my desk elsewhere...they hung up on me...guess who never gets my money again...

:r

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2001, 12:45 AM

I ordered 2 512's for my Pismo on Monday morning and they hadn't sent it out yet (as of Wednesday July 4th which is a U.S. holiday).
Hmm. I order a 512 for my Pismo on Monday as well (at 8:30 PM, no less!) and got a tracking number for it on Tuesday. Looking for it on Thursday!
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

Raman
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2001, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:
<STRONG>

Hmm. I order a 512 for my Pismo on Monday as well (at 8:30 PM, no less!) and got a tracking number for it on Tuesday. Looking for it on Thursday!</STRONG>

I posted this elsewhere but I ordered it on monday AirBorne Next Afternoon delivery.

FedEX tried to deliver it before my apartment complex opened (9am). I wrote OWC and told them they won't get my money again and that I ordered 1)NEXT and 2)Afternoon for a reason.

Needless to say - the 1 gig ram is in my PB and seems to be wroking fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules