Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > [dFold] Time to power up

[dFold] Time to power up
The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2002, 01:04 PM

All right, everyone. We're currently ranked 13th in dFold and outcrunching the next 6 teams above us.

I think it's time we took over this joint.

Not only because we can, but because it alone would be a great recruitment drive. When we were vying for the number one slot in Ubero, we reeled in a bunch of new members who ran macs but were not part of any team. Some of these people have become invaluable members to Team MacNN (just look at Mikkyo...).

We only have 35 members in the dFold team, and we are ranked 7th in daily production. It wouldn't take much to get us crunching in the top 3.

I think it's time to move power over to dFold and to start turning heads.

Crunch Something

<Wangdoodle>
Apr 27, 2002, 01:56 PM

i agree

lets kick this pig

anyone else see that cowtipping team..........they are lighting eveyrone up

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Wangdoodle&gt;:
<STRONG>i agree

lets kick this pig

anyone else see that cowtipping team..........they are lighting eveyrone up</STRONG>
Cowtipping is just a few of the Knights Who Say Ni, who jump from team to team temporarily to mess with people's heads. In dFold, when you change teams all of your work units go with you. They breifly jumped up to #19, then back down to #51, then up to #45. All in the course of a few hours, as various KWSN members moved to and from the team. This is the same group that breifly moved 3D HQ from #3 to #1 by moving over to that team for a short time. It is their way of having fun.

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2002, 02:45 PM

We've got great momentum going in dFold right now. It would be wonderful if others joined in the fun. Or rejoined, because I see a few folks have stopped crunching. It's been great seeing the team making progress up the charts.

slipjack
Senior User
Apr 27, 2002, 04:12 PM

I absolutely agree. Let's kick some booty.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

doughboyj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2002, 05:06 PM

just added a PBG4 550 to dfold. Not much but hey its better than nothing

Michael A. Peters
Apr 27, 2002, 06:11 PM

In dFold, when you change teams all of your work units go with you.
That's too bad.
That's one of the things I didn't like about seti.
Don't take candy from strangers

reader50
Administrator
Apr 27, 2002, 06:52 PM

When you have a nice team, there is no need to "lock" your members' units in. The way I see it, you donate CPU time to a project and they pay you in stats units. Which you should be able to move around as you see fit.

Should a person disagree with a team (or sponsor site), it is really improper that their units remain stuck, on some projects. For example, if a person is fired, they might not want their units to remain on a company team. In RC5 and Folding@home, the units would remain. In SETI, Ubero, and dFold, your units stay yours.

slipjack
Senior User
Apr 27, 2002, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by reader50:
<STRONG>When you have a nice team, there is no need to "lock" your members' units in. The way I see it, you donate CPU time to a project and they pay you in stats units. Which you should be able to move around as you see fit.

Should a person disagree with a team (or sponsor site), it is really improper that their units remain stuck, on some projects. For example, if a person is fired, they might not want their units to remain on a company team. In RC5 and Folding@home, the units would remain. In SETI, Ubero, and dFold, your units stay yours.</STRONG>
Perhaps, but then you get the KWSN jumping back and forth and all over the stats pages just for fun.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2002, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by slipjack:
<STRONG>

Perhaps, but then you get the KWSN jumping back and forth and all over the stats pages just for fun. </STRONG>
The Knights will be Knights and do their thing. Nothing to worry about. It looks as though we are poised for a power up that will help push us into the top ten. Queen Enola is leading the charge. Long live the Queen of dFold.

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2002, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by doughboyj:
<STRONG>just added a PBG4 550 to dfold. Not much but hey its better than nothing</STRONG>
Hey, it's not nothing. I totally appreciate your participation!

Speaking of which, it looks like a few of you have come back and started crunching for dFold again. Sweet!

Strength in numbers, folks. I would be so happy to see Team MacNN bust into the top 10. The more of us crunching the quicker we're going to get there.

Let's Go!!!!

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: enola ]

The_Equivocator  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2002, 11:53 AM

We're now crunching over 3 million units a day. Let's keep that number rising, everyone!

Crunch Something

reader50
Administrator
Apr 28, 2002, 01:00 PM

It's even better than that. The weekly avg is 3 million, but the last couple of days have been 4.2+ million. We are the #6 crunching team, and very close to the #5 and #4 teams.

The #1 crunching team is FreeDC, we are crunching about 2/3 of their rate. A 50% increase on our part would make us the #1 cruncher, and eventually, the #1 team.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 29, 2002, 01:56 AM

Update, tonight's dFold ranks are done.

Make that a 36% increase for us to overpower FreeDC.

The_Equivocator  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2002, 02:12 AM

<STRONG>Update, tonight's dFold ranks are done.

Make that a 36% increase for us to overpower FreeDC. </STRONG>
How about a news blurb about this on the Team homepage? I could write it up, if you want.

Crunch Something

slipjack
Senior User
Apr 29, 2002, 03:51 PM

We'll need more actually, because who knows how long enola's influence will hold with her friends. Granted, she's done pretty darn good so far though.

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2002, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by slipjack:
<STRONG>We'll need more actually, because who knows how long enola's influence will hold with her friends. Granted, she's done pretty darn good so far though. </STRONG>
I think we'll be good for another week. Cross your fingers. I got an update from my brother. He told me he SHOULD be able to keep the farm with us to the end of the race with possibly a few hiccups while they are being prepped for work that makes the company $$. This is great news because I thought they were coming down today.

HardOCP is less than a million structures in front of us now. I think we should have the #12 spot sometime this evening since we made up about 825K on them in the last 6 hours.

reader50
Administrator
Apr 29, 2002, 11:12 PM

We have passed [H]ard|OCP

Their thread remains a bit dead. Odd, [H] is one of the major DC teams, they sometimes push Ars around. Of course, we have done that too.

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2002, 12:50 AM

Hey all,

I just took a look at the rankings. 3 days to the #10 spot! And not only have folks jumped back in but they've increased their production.

Great work everyone!

jbcool
Senior User
May 1, 2002, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by enola:
<STRONG>Hey all,

I just took a look at the rankings. 3 days to the #10 spot! And not only have folks jumped back in but they've increased their production.

Great work everyone!</STRONG>
Yea and week even got some new members on the team.
This is great. Were going to need a lot more when you brother shuts down that power plant that he is running. Ski is still hoping to get the lab machines. It would be great to have you and him burning up the roads for a few days. Just to see if any other team is paying attention.
Tag ur it.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
May 1, 2002, 09:54 AM

hey reader, how bout some nice software installation pages huh? its hard to get people to join and crunch a project that they can't get installed and running on their computer.

AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

cdhostage
Mac Elite
May 1, 2002, 10:31 AM

OK, as of today, I will rweach 10,000 units in Ubero. I am switching my iMac 500 to dFold as soon as I ge thome/
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

reader50
Administrator
May 1, 2002, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by gumby5647:
<STRONG>hey reader, how bout some nice software installation pages huh? its hard to get people to join and crunch a project that they can't get installed and running on their computer.

</STRONG>
Pulled in the latest dFold client a week ago, along with the Folding screen saver. Then things got busy in the real world. Those install pages will get written the first free day I have, along with a few other updates.

doggkruse
May 1, 2002, 11:19 AM

I'm not crunching anything right now due to heat and finals etc but i have some dfold units i did before there was a maccnn team that i will move over.
Geoff

This is my new signature, your new Team. Join Team MacNN

The_Equivocator  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2002, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by doggkruse:
<STRONG>I'm not crunching anything right now due to heat and finals etc but i have some dfold units i did before there was a maccnn team that i will move over.
Geoff</STRONG>
Wow, I haven't seen you on here for a while, doggkruse. Nice to see you back.

Crunch Something

doggkruse
May 1, 2002, 12:09 PM

Well I'm mostly interested in Ubero and any conversation about that project seems to be stagnate at this point... I'll start running Ubero again as soon as they get a new project, and I upgrade my Lime 333 iMac to a TI 800 which should be soon. I'm in arizona and my imac just can't handle the extra heat from crunching right now.
Anyway, my 80 dFold units now belong to Team MacNN.
Here's to # 1
Geoff

This is my new signature, your new Team. Join Team MacNN

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2002, 09:31 PM

Hmmm ... looks like we caught the attention of one of the KWSN. "Lawrence" just popped in with 18 M structures.

Grozni Majmun
Forum Regular
May 1, 2002, 09:43 PM

<STRONG>Hmmm ... looks like we caught the attention of one of the KWSN. "Lawrence" just popped in with 18 M structures.</STRONG>
Kind of cool, in a way...
It means they have noticed Team MacNN. OTOH it is going to be harder to tell where we really are, unless reader50 comes up with a KWSN-filter for the stats...

jbcool
Senior User
May 1, 2002, 09:49 PM

<STRONG>Hmmm ... looks like we caught the attention of one of the KWSN. "Lawrence" just popped in with 18 M structures.</STRONG>
Guess every little bit helps. Just wonder how long they will stick around. Since some of them are fly by knight types.
Tag ur it.

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2002, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Grozni Majmun:
<STRONG>
</STRONG>
True. There's a reason why they bother. Besides, they don't seem too bad. They appear generally funny and good natured over at their forum.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 1, 2002, 11:57 PM

Yeah, but even his 18 mil wasn't enough to get past enola. We could try to talk him into staying, but you know how those knights are.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
May 2, 2002, 01:02 AM

well, im interested in giving dFolding a try for awhile. If someone would like to IM me and walk me through the install and setup, ill gladly run it for awhile.

AIM: gumby5647
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2002, 01:54 AM

<STRONG>well, im interested in giving dFolding a try for awhile. If someone would like to IM me and walk me through the install and setup, ill gladly run it for awhile.

Did you get some help? It's really pretty easy.

1. Go to the dFold login page and register yourself.

2. Once you get your handle, login in. You can set your username and most importantly, join the team! Use the "Current Team" drop down.

3. Download the client.

4. Uncompress the file. This will result in a folder called "distribfold". StuffitExpander can take care of this. Move the resulting folder where you want it. In my case I created a "bin" directory in my home directory and dragged it over there.

5. Fire up the Terminal and at the prompt type "cd ". That's a "c", a "d", and a space. No quotes. Go back to the Finder and drag the distribfold folder into the terminal window. You'll see the entire path to the directory magically appear on the command line. Now just press the return key and you'll move to the distribfold directory.

6. If you type a "ls" (again no quotes) you can see the contents of the directory. You should see a file there called foldit. All you need to do is type at the command line:

./foldit

You will be asked for your handle and then you are done.

That's the basics of getting the client up and running. You can read the readme1st.txt to get more details if you want to fine tune your set up.

Hope this helps and if you are already familiar with the terminal and unix stuff, well, maybe my simplistic instructions will be useful to someone else.

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: enola ]

The_Equivocator  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2002, 02:01 AM

It appears as if they have a forum thread going on about it over here.

Post away!

Crunch Something

Grozni Majmun
Forum Regular
May 2, 2002, 02:05 AM

That's a mighty fine description enola. We don't really need much more than that to go on the team page, at least to begin with. What do you think, reader50?

I downloaded AIM to help gumby, but he is offline. So much for that procrastination idea.

The_Equivocator  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2002, 02:09 AM

<STRONG>well, im interested in giving dFolding a try for awhile. If someone would like to IM me and walk me through the install and setup, ill gladly run it for awhile.

I would also recommend using SkiBikeSki's script. By running dFold through the script, dFold will reset itself every hour, thus making sure that dFold's memory leak doesn't lock up your system. I highly recommend you use the script unless you want to manually restart the client every day.

A thread on how to use the script is here if you don't know how to use it.

Also, you can set it up so that the script is automatically run on startup, just as was described with the old Ubero scripts. If you don't know how to do this and would like to, just reply and I'll give you a detailed explanation on how to set it up.

Hope that helps!

Crunch Something

reader50
Administrator
May 2, 2002, 02:35 AM

<STRONG>That's a mighty fine description enola. We don't really need much more than that to go on the team page, at least to begin with. What do you think, reader50?
...</STRONG>
Those look like good instructions from an experienced dFolder. They should work fine for setting gumby up.

I normally do a blind walkthrough when making up the instructions, setting it up like a new user. This gives the screen shots, and covers any pitfalls a new user might fall into. The install pages (Fold SS and dFold CLI) are actually started, and the title graphics done. They should turn up before too much longer, I'm hoping for the next couple of days.

Oh, thanks for the typo note on the site page, it is fixed.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 2, 2002, 02:50 AM

<STRONG>
Those look like good instructions from an experienced dFolder. They should work fine for setting gumby up.

I normally do a blind walkthrough when making up the instructions, setting it up like a new user. This gives the screen shots, and covers any pitfalls a new user might fall into. The install pages (Fold SS and dFold CLI) are actually started, and the title graphics done. They should turn up before too much longer, I'm hoping for the next couple of days.

Oh, thanks for the typo note on the site page, it is fixed.</STRONG>
Take your time dear Reader. We know how very busy you are at this time. We all need a life away from the computers on occassion.

slipjack
Senior User
May 2, 2002, 03:24 AM

<STRONG>

It means they have noticed Team MacNN. OTOH it is going to be harder to tell where we really are, unless reader50 comes up with a KWSN-filter for the stats...</STRONG>
I like that idea. Like a crap-removal filter.

reader50
Administrator
May 3, 2002, 03:08 AM

Is anyone else getting interested in MDSP's (#14) production for the last two days?

Grozni Majmun
Forum Regular
May 3, 2002, 10:26 AM

<STRONG>Is anyone else getting interested in MDSP's (#14) production for the last two days?</STRONG>
Yes, I've noticed them too. It seems to be a bit of a one man show, but it is legit ie not a KWSN-stunt. Looks like we need to power up even further. But we were going to do that anyway, right?

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2002, 11:22 AM

Keep an eye out for Advertico too. There's 111 of them crunching proteins and are slowly but surely heading for a top 10 position.

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2002, 05:51 PM

<STRONG>Is anyone else getting interested in MDSP's (#14) production for the last two days?</STRONG>
Wow! I just took a closer look at the 1 day total. That one guy just crunched more than the entire FreeDC or KWSN team. I'm guessing they've got over 150 clients running. Something woke them up because they were flatlined for quite a while.

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2002, 01:44 AM

This is the secret of that guy's power: 3, count them 3! Beowolf clusters:
http://www.mdsproteomics.com/default...Article&qID=18

I wonder how the crunching that the clusters are supposed to be doing suffers while running the DF client?

Ni!

Bockie
Mac Elite
May 9, 2002, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by The_Equivocator:
<STRONG>

I would also recommend using SkiBikeSki's script. By running dFold through the script, dFold will reset itself every hour, thus making sure that dFold's memory leak doesn't lock up your system. I highly recommend you use the script unless you want to manually restart the client every day.

A thread on how to use the script is here if you don't know how to use it.

Also, you can set it up so that the script is automatically run on startup, just as was described with the old Ubero scripts. If you don't know how to do this and would like to, just reply and I'll give you a detailed explanation on how to set it up.

Hope that helps!</STRONG>
Newbie Question of the Day

"Should I run more than one client since I have a dual processor machine?"
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

enola
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2002, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Bockie:
<STRONG>

Newbie Question of the Day

"Should I run more than one client since I have a dual processor machine?"</STRONG>
Yes, that's what I do. I'd run as many DC clients as I have processors. I don't think there's any benefits to running more. I tried 3 clients once but didn't see production increase. There just seemed to be more contention for cpu cycles.

Forum Links
Forum Rules