Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Realone Player and Chimera

Realone Player and Chimera
rytc
Senior User
Nov 25, 2002, 02:12 PM

Has anyone been able to make embedded Media files for ROP work when using Chimera, I mean embedded as in you click on a link and a new window opens which the video is supposed to play in. It works in everything except Chimera. I tried copying the actual Realone player plugins into the two Internet Plugins folder as per some previous post (replacing the alias). And now its worse, at least b4 I had sound, now I have nothing.......

Thanks

PS Isn't Chimera ridiculously slow when typing into these text windows...lag lag lag

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Nov 25, 2002, 02:46 PM

No, Rp will only work with I.E.

iSore
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2002, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Leia Shoots Like a Girl:
Funny, I watch Real streams in Mozilla all the time. You're thinking of WiMP streams, perhaps?

Anyhoo: the Chimera developers are aware of the problem. For now the suggested workaround is to open another tab, switch to it and then back to the page containing the Real content. Note that I haven't tried this myself; good luck.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2002, 03:24 PM

My RealOne Player cannot play "dnet" type files. These are the types of files that the 30 second clips on amazon.com are. I really want to listen to them, but I can't! How could I download the codec for it? It's some sort of dolby thing, according to realone on windows when I downloaded it for them.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2002, 03:27 PM

anyone know how to make it so chimera's text box's arn't auto white? Or at least then use Black text like Omni web?
It's funny... the only reason I'm not using IE really is cause I hate M$'s ignorance of standards... and the only reason I'm not using mozilla is cause it's soo freakin slow in OS X.... then again my 333Mhz G3 iMac might have something to do with that too...

rytc  (op)
Senior User
Nov 26, 2002, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Leia Shoots Like a Girl:
It works fine in Omniweb and I can get sound in Mozilla but just no picture. WIll try the switching tabs thang. Ta

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2002, 03:24 PM

The 11/26/02 build of Chimera includes several plug-in fixes including the no video for real content problem.
Vandelay Industries

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2002, 04:14 PM

ok rp finally plays back vid in chimera at news.com (first time in a while) but the vid freezes every few seconds...I usually get extremely smooth play back on my dsl and real player...I guess it still needs some work....

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2002, 04:18 PM

ok just got done watching the director mx presentation at news.com on realplayer and at the end of the vid it crashed chimera...this has been my first chimera crash in a looong time...so I guess there still working out the bugs on rp playback...

rytc  (op)
Senior User
Nov 26, 2002, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Producer:
ok just got done watching the director mx presentation at news.com on realplayer and at the end of the vid it crashed chimera...this has been my first chimera crash in a looong time...so I guess there still working out the bugs on rp playback...
Switching tabs gets the video, will try the new nightly now. But as has been said the video is jumpy and stops frequently, not so with the same site in Omniweb. I'm not complaining (well I am I guess) but I find it interesting that two apps that both should 'just' be using a plugin to play the video give diff. results....
Cheers Ry

yellowdog
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2002, 06:06 PM

I'm using the 11/26 build and it in fact WILL play video from the ESPN site - click launch epsn video player and it works fine. You can use it to scroll to any number of sports clips. A MAJOR improvement. If I use reuters news and the prefs modification, real player will automatically start and play the selected piece. BBC works the same way. This is one nice animal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules