Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > OSX Problems w/ Beige G3

OSX Problems w/ Beige G3
greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2003, 04:19 PM

My dad has a beige G3/300 with both a 4 and a 10GB IDE hard drive. He is trying to replace the 4, which has OSX installed, with a 40. Unfortunately I'm 500 miles away and no good at troubleshooting over the phone. I'm stuck. Here's the message:

"Here's a puzzle for you. I bought a 40gb Maxtor hard drive to replace the small one on the G3.
I used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy everything from the existing drive to the new one (after formatting it.) It copied everything, but trying to boot from it yielded only black screen.
I reformatted the new drive with the 'Bless Old World' option, and attempted to just put on OSX from scratch (reinstall apps later.) It formatted to 38.4gb. OSX would not install because it said it had to install it on the first 8gb of the hard drive. How can the first 8gb be full on a blank newly formatted drive?!
I reformatted it (zeroed data) and told it to install OS9 drivers so it could be used with OS9, It formatted to 26gb! 12gb for OS9 drivers?! I don't see how? It still wouldn't install OSX because it couldn't get the first 8gb of disk space.
Reformatted (rezeroed data) and left off the OS9 drivers. It formatted to 38gb again but still wouldn't take OSX because it couldn't get the first 8gb of disk space.
That's how I spent my Memorial Day Monday. I'm sure yours was more enjoyable, but have you any idea what's going on with this thing? I went back to CompUSA, but no one there had a clue. The only thing I can think of is if the ATA/PCI control in the G3 writes from the opposite end of the disk or something (Print on the box says it should work on any Power Mac G4 or Power Mac with Mac-compatible ATA PCI card.)"

NOTE: I have looked through old forums as I know this has been brought up before, but to no avail.

Bad HD maybe??
( Last edited by greenG4; May 28, 2003 at 04:49 PM. )
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

-Q-
May 28, 2003, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by greenG4:
My dad has a beige G3/300 with both a 4 and a 10GB IDE hard drive. He is trying to replace the 4, which has OSX installed, with a 40. Unfortunately I'm 500 miles away and no good at troubleshooting over the phone. I'm stuck. Here's the message:

Editied for brevity...
Your dad is missing the key part which is that the new hard drive has to be partitioned. To install OS X on a beige, it not only has to go on the first 8 GBs of a drive, that drive can be no larger than 8 GBs!

What your dad will have to do is format the drive using Disk Utility and using the 'Partition' tab, divide the drive up into two (or more, his preference really) partitions, with the first partition being less than 8 GBs (make it 7.5 just to be safe) and the other partition being as large as he wants. Once he does that, you can install OS X on that first partition and it'll run just fine.

greenG4  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2003, 06:58 PM

Thanks a lot! I knew it had to be something easy!
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules