Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Automatic proxy configuration

Automatic proxy configuration
rytc
Senior User
Sep 21, 2003, 01:08 AM

Is there any way to use an automatic proxy configuration script under OS X. I know some browsers such as Mozilla, FireBird have this option as did Netscape under OS9. However Safari doesn't appear to support it and neither does Explorer. It wouldn't be an issue except for the fact that if I do a manual proxy configuration I'm unable to access secure sites outside of the university using Safari. Using the automatic proxy configuration in Firebird allows me to access these sites but a) it's dirt slow on my iBook and b) I'd rather just have to use one browser rather than switching between the two. Any ideas? Surely there must be a 3rd party app that allows this?

Thanks Ry

kovacs
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2003, 05:34 AM

Try downloading the actual file in mozilla and firebird, just type the address of the PAC file in the address bar, open this file in textedit and try to recognise some of the information. This is how i did it and it worked, universities sometimes use other ports ( like 8002 instead of 8080 ) or different servers for secure sites ( sproxy. .... instead of proxy. ... ) I really wish the OS itself would support PAC files...

Forum Links
Forum Rules