Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Which 17" PC laptop, Toshiba Satellite or HP Pavilion??

Which 17" PC laptop, Toshiba Satellite or HP Pavilion??
CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2004, 07:02 PM

ok so my Dad is buying a new laptop because thats apparently easier than backing up all of his Quicken files and email so I can reinstall Windows on his aging Gateway.

Now, I've built, bought and otherwise had to deal with plenty of PC desktops but as far as reliability and build quality on these particular models I'm having a hard time deciding between the two.

The choices are either an HP Pavilion zd700, 17" display @ 1440x900, 3 Ghz P4, 512 Meg RAM, 64MB Invidia GeForce Video, Ethernet, 802.11g, DVD/RW, etc.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...x=0&catLevel=2

Choice 2: Toshiba Satellite P25-S520, 17" display @ 1440x900, 3 Ghz P4, 512 Meg RAM, 64MB Invidia GeForce Video, Ethernet, 802.11g, DVD/RW, etc.
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/...7&ccid=1291021

SO basically both of these machines are pretty identical spec-wise. What I'm interested in is whether anyone has personal experience with anything that might sway me towards one or the other.

I'm not a huge fan of HP's solely on the basis of their association with Compaq since those used to be such boat anchors. HOWEVER, I really like the build quality of the HP over the Toshiba. It just seems a lot more solid and finished, with ports lining up flush with plastics and such. I like the trackpad a lot better on the Toshiba, the HP's reminds me of the one on my Ti Powerbook which I hated (felt more metal, less tactile than the Pismo one) but which I got used to. The HP also has a full-size keyboard and numeric keypad.

My other question: Which version of XP should I get it with. My Dad is a fairly savvy user, tho a pro by no means, so which is simpler and more secure against accidental changes but still intuitive, XP Home Edition or Pro Edition? Lastly, is the Media Center version of XP vastly different or is it simply a bit of additional functionality. If not, I'll probably just have him get that so they could watch TV occasionally.
( Last edited by CMYKid; May 4, 2004 at 07:15 PM. )

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2004, 07:05 PM

How about a 17" PowerBook?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2004, 07:05 PM

gorickey votes for the Toshiba...wait, I can't vote...there's NO poll?!?

CMYKid  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2004, 07:14 PM

well, i knew that'd come up, tho nit in the very first post... ;-)

No Powerbook, for a variety of reasons. Price, as both the Toshi and HP are sub $1600. Also, trying to get him to switch at this point is not really worth it.

And thanks Rickey, it's not so mucha poll as a quest for advice.

Any reason why you'd runoff with the Toshi above the HP? The HP is also slightly cheaper...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by CMYKid:
Any reason why you'd runoff with the Toshi above the HP? The HP is also slightly cheaper...
I've seen and used a fairshare of Toshiba Satellites in my day and can't say I've been very disappointed...and the latest Satellites are much BETTER looking than past versions, definitely nicer looking than the HP if you ask me...

CMYKid  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2004, 07:25 PM

hmmm, i'm not a fan really of the big shiny black plastic border around the screen,

or anywhere else for that matter but I DO appreciate the advice regarding reliability.

Let me ask another way: OK, the HP is slightly cheaper and comparable in specs. Add to that I think I like the aesthetics better. Anyone have anything negative (negative? this place? nah...) to say regarding HP's build quality, ease of serviceablilty, recent tech support experiences, etc?
( Last edited by CMYKid; May 4, 2004 at 07:46 PM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2004, 08:00 PM

I vote PowerBook...

2nd would be the Toshiba

insha
Senior User
May 4, 2004, 08:15 PM

here's another for Powerbook. But if you must choose between HP and Toshi; go with Toshi.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2004, 08:16 PM

Why do PC laptops come with 10 stickers on the keyboard?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2004, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
One for each version of AOL?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2004, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
So true... and then there are 3-5 stickers on the systems that dumb/anal people never remove... Like "Intel Inside, Radion Mobil, Built for XP, etc. etc."

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2004, 08:24 PM

Another vote for the PowerBook.

Secondary vote for the Toshiba.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2004, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Radion Mobil"
Radeon Mobility*
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

CMYKid  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2004, 09:05 PM

ok, REALLY, the Powerbook isn't an option but thanks for all the people STILL suggesting it...

Definitely appreciate all the rec's for the Toshiba, however, if anyone else adds to this thread, couldja tell me WHY you recommend the brand that you do? My Dad's a cost analyst for weapons development programs with lots of zeros so he kinda likes stats in black and white. I'm the arty one. Thanks. DO appreciate the input.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2004, 11:14 PM

Powerbook 17... definitely.

if not, I guess the Toshiba would make a decent Linux portable.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Link
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 03:06 AM

Generally toshiba laptops are quite bulky and heavy, but they do last for years and years and years.

I have a toshiba from 1996, 75mhz P1 that to this day is structurally (and externally) as it was new... except for a cracked port door. It weighs a ton but you can still pick it up by the trackpad, drop it, play catch with it, whatever... and it'll still survive.
Aloha

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 03:57 AM

Toshiba all the way. HP laptops are good (way better than the desktops), but Toshiba is better.

CMYKid  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2004, 03:29 PM

Well thanks for everybody's input, NOW my Dad has changed his mind...actually he's now in love with my NEC flatscreen and so he's back to wanting a new PC desktop. He's looking at the HP Media Center Desky thats the 3 Ghz version of this... http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/h...ABA&catLevel=4

So, unless I find some recent horror stories regarding this particular one I guess I'll be spending my weekend getting it up and running...

Link
Professional Poster
May 7, 2004, 03:32 PM

At that price you might as well beat him into buying a g4 tower
Aloha

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2004, 03:35 PM

Go for the HP Pavilion

Scifience
Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 03:46 PM

Get the Toshiba.

Never owned one, but have owned an HP and hated it, so I can't recommend that.

The HP (it was a desktop) was a pain to work on, the insides were cramped, etc. Upgrading the RAM was a three hour job that required removing the CD-ROM drive, power supply, floppy drive, and just about everything else in the machine.

HP's support also wasn't very good. I don't know about now, but at the time their tech support was only for 90 days and was a long distance number.

Definately go with the Toshiba.

CMYKid  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2004, 04:56 PM

ummmm....thanks for the thoughts, however, the HP/Toshi question was just when he was looking at laptops. Now that he wants a desktop it's HP or who knows.

The Pavilion IS pretty cramped inside, but it also IS a mini-tower so thats a bit to be expected I guess.

Doubt I can talk him into a Mac Desktop, especially since he can buy the Office suite for the PC for 20 bucks...

Hopefully HP tech support has improved of late, saves me havin' to run out there each time he accidentally changes something.

Forum Links
Forum Rules