Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Watson is dead? Sherlock alternatives?

Watson is dead? Sherlock alternatives?
MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 01:25 AM

So the great internet tool Watson is going to be dead as of October 5th. Anyone know of some good Sherlock plugins to replace the Watson features?

I personally would love to get a plugin for TV listings. Point me in the right direction.

hubert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 01:45 AM

dont worry. my friend humphrey told me he is making a new superior program called angela lansbury.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 04:00 AM

Originally posted by hubert:
dont worry. my friend humphrey told me he is making a new superior program called angela lansbury.
How about MouseDetective? Although you'd worry about getting sued by Disney, I guess...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 10:27 AM

Watson won't be totally dead. The company which has bought the Watson technology will create a similar application and that application will be available for PC AND Mac.

MilkmanDan  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 04:58 PM

Sigh... so many new programs so little time.

chicken_tastes_good
Jun 30, 2004, 06:10 PM

Actually I believe that the new app will merely be a continuation of Watson. It will still run on OS X, will be ported to other platform(s), it just _may_ not have the Watson name or Karelia support.

IE. It will become more mainstream because of its big developer support

Anything BUT dead and definitely NOT rewritten
The empty can rattles the loudest

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 06:46 PM

Sun looks to have bought Watson.

This means the app will cease to be cool burdened by lowest common denominator code and based on Java. No thanks.

Hopefully Apple's Sherlock teams isn't asleep at the wheel.

mikeini
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2004, 08:06 PM

where are some good places to add more items to sherlock? i tried a few of the sites that comes with sherlock .. but when i try to load them i just get (null) at the top or something.

anyone?

murk
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2004, 08:09 PM

Isn�t it obvious that both Sherlock and Watson are dead? Sherlock killed Watson and Dashboard killed Sherlock. Another mystery solved!

hmurchison2001
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by murk:
Isn�t it obvious that both Sherlock and Watson are dead? Sherlock killed Watson and Dashboard killed Sherlock. Another mystery solved!
Yes after reading Gruber's article about Konfabulator versus Dashboard I immediately understood that Sherlock could easily be replaced with Gadgets that do the same thing since it's based on webkit. Little mini webpages that can contain anything that is available on the net.
( Last edited by hmurchison2001; Jul 1, 2004 at 02:27 AM. )

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 10:23 PM

Wow Dashboard is gona kill two things at once! And still look ugly!

By the way I tried using sherlock again the other day... I remember watching the keynote when Jobs did it and was like... well that looks... kinda cool... I guess... in practice... it's dumb. I can't find anything I actually care about on it... the only useful thing I might use it for would be google... and... I have google for searching google...

cpac
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
I tried using sherlock again the other day... I remember watching the keynote when Jobs did it and was like... well that looks... kinda cool... I guess... in practice... it's dumb. I can't find anything I actually care about on it... the only useful thing I might use it for would be google... and... I have google for searching google...
You know, I thought this too at first....

but:

(1) with all the widgets out there, you'll be able to make it "look" like pretty much anything you want.

(2) It's a single key, customizable, screen that can contain anything that currently in Sherlock, Watson, anything in your menu bar (Meteorologist, etc.), plus any of those system utilities you open all the time (calculator, OmniDictionary, Nisus Thesaurus, activity monitor (at least the floating window things), Stickies). AND then it all goes away in a single keystroke. This could clear out the dock and menu bar of for many of us, while still keeping those things very handy.
cpac

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2004, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
By the way I tried using sherlock again the other day... I remember watching the keynote when Jobs did it and was like... well that looks... kinda cool... I guess... in practice... it's dumb. I can't find anything I actually care about on it... the only useful thing I might use it for would be google... and... I have google for searching google...
I like Sherlock - I use the Phone Book module quite a bit, and use the Translation module occasionally as well. I agree that it would be better as a Dashboard service, though.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules