Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Is The Political War Lounge Going To Be Renamed?

Is The Political War Lounge Going To Be Renamed?
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 03:35 AM

Well? I remember when the clamouring that brought it about was going on... we were specifically told that there would NEVER be a religious forum, or a forum to discuss such things etc. And that everyone in the lounge should just grow up. Did whatever mod decide to do these recent moves not read the forum in those days? I don't even know which mod it is since you didn't write anything in my post, I haven't checked the creative design one yet but I will. So I'm curious... are you smoking something that has you not thinking to terribly clearly or what?

I know personally my thread didn't even touch on politics, so I don't understand that move, let alone this other one...

But... anyway... if we are going to rename that forum, can I suggest,

"The bin for inconvenient topics"
"The, holy crap this'll need to be locked if we leave it in the lounge forum"
"This is where we moved your thread, don't worry we didn't delete it"
Or my personal favourite, or perhaps something like, "The corner for bad boys and girls"
or, one that I heard on that super nanny show, "The naughty spot" posts could go there till the people in them learn to behave better...

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 03:39 AM

Politics, war, religion, party bickering, etc. Please check straw men at the door.
I miss tooki... :/

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 14, 2005, 03:47 AM

Come on.. how many posts of complaints are you gonna make?

Is it really that big of a deal?

I would rather have them in there.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2005, 03:49 AM

I vote for "The War Room".

Gentlemen, no fighting in the war room!.

Could be a good name since all the people in there are at war with eachother anyway. Doesn't matter if the subject is war, religion, politics or other.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 03:54 AM

My post wasn't religious either. It was if anything sociological. As soon as we mention Christianity should we be shoved into a corner/politics forum? If this keeps up maybe Adobe should buy MacNN...

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2005, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Gentlemen, no fighting in the war room!.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2005, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
My post wasn't religious either. It was if anything sociological.
It was a sociological post about religion. Do you want do know how I figured this out? My Sherlocking is going to astound you. "When Did Religious Bigotry Become Acceptable In The Name of Tolerance?" Do you see the key word there? Actually, the word "bigotry" is also politically charged, so the thread doubly deserves to be in there. And you doubly posted this complaint.

As soon as we mention Christianity should we be shoved into a corner/politics forum? If this keeps up maybe Adobe should buy MacNN...
You know, life is a whole lot easier if you try to work with the people around you instead of yelling at them when things don't go your way.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
It was a sociological post about religion. Do you want do know how I figured this out? My Sherlocking is going to astound you. "When Did Religious Bigotry Become Acceptable In The Name of Tolerance?" Do you see the key word there? Actually, the word "bigotry" is also politically charged, so the thread doubly deserves to be in there. And you doubly posted this complaint.

You know, life is a whole lot easier if you try to work with the people around you instead of yelling at them when things don't go your way.
To the first paragraph. If I write a topic about let's say, "A belief that OS X causes Mac users to be arrogant and ignorant and complacent in their choosing of peripherals because they assume it'll just work"

Should this go in the lounge, the peripheral forum, or the Mac OS forum?

Or maybe... just maybe... we shouldn't be bloody anal retentive.

As to the second paragraph... life may be easier, but it's far more satisfying to tell someone, "What you do frustrates me and I don't think you have a good reason for doing it" than it is to say nothing at all and hope that somehow they realize that everyone is looking at them like they're an ass. Obviously if you didn't believe this to be true... you wouldn't have replied

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2005, 05:21 AM

To the first paragraph. If I write a topic about let's say, "A belief that OS X causes Mac users to be arrogant and ignorant and complacent in their choosing of peripherals because they assume it'll just work"

Should this go in the lounge, the peripheral forum, or the Mac OS forum?

Or maybe... just maybe... we shouldn't be bloody anal retentive.
No, but your post was very clearly related to religion, and the War Lounge is there for precisely such a topic. The Lounge is for chill discussion, and the War Lounge is for the big issues that people feel passionately about, such as religion and discrimination.

As to the second paragraph... life may be easier, but it's far more satisfying to tell someone, "What you do frustrates me and I don't think you have a good reason for doing it" than it is to say nothing at all and hope that somehow they realize that everyone is looking at them like they're an ass. Obviously if you didn't believe this to be true... you wouldn't have replied
I never said you should do nothing. I said you should do something: work with people.

Example of a counterproductive response: "What you do frustrates me. You're just doing that because you are a bigot who hates people like me, aren't you?" This is an accusation. You are assuming they have no good reason for doing what they do. If you go in attacking people, don't expect a useful answer.

Example of a productive response: "Why are you doing that?" This is a question. It leaves open the possibility that you might discover something or reach some kind of understanding. (Then again, you might not, and the other guy might just be a dick. But at least you tried, right?)
Chuck
___

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2005, 05:52 AM

The Charcoal Pit, "where inflammatory posts go to die".
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2005, 07:27 AM

In my head it's just the Garbage Chute.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
The Charcoal Pit, "where inflammatory posts go to die".

-t

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 07:41 AM

If this keeps up maybe Adobe should buy MacNN...
If it stops you from posting complete arse , I welcome our new overlords.

Get. A. Blog. Seriously.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 09:24 AM

I think everyone should just whine and moan like little kids. That would be soooooo unusual...

:yawn:

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 14, 2005, 09:40 AM

Complaints go in feedback. See ya there.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 14, 2005, 10:01 AM

I am the one that moved your thread. The war-room says religion right in the description. You apparently chose not to read it and then complain about it anyway. The thread stays where it is.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jun 14, 2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
Complaints go in feedback. See ya there.
This is what I was thinking.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2005, 10:32 AM

I would call it "Sensitive Topics: politics, religion, sex"
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 14, 2005, 11:39 AM

the word religion has been in the description of that forum for at least 6 months.
and i wouldn't get too hung up on the word never. or temporary for that matter. things change. get over it.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 14, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Demonhood
and i wouldn't get too hung up on the word never. or temporary for that matter. things change. get over it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2005, 12:15 PM

And that everyone in the lounge should just grow up.
Until that happens, please stop posting.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 05:08 PM

Ahh! Sweep the cries of the people against injustice under the rug! Go ahead! COMMUNISTS! NAZIS! POP MUSIC FANS! May you all run Windows on your primary machine where there will be weeping and nashing of teeth! NASHING!

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2005, 06:07 PM

If the topic requires more than a half-second of thought - the topic goes in the War Forum.

If it involves subjective pre-teen interests (newcomers to hormones) such as Star Wars, post-a-picture-of-a-hot-girl, Hollywood gossip, images of dragons, or God-forbid - anything Subaru-related....then it fits squarely into the Lounge Forum.

Please don't make the youngsters think by posting adult topics in the Lounge. It hurts their self-esteem when they lose the battle of words, thoughts, or ideas.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 14, 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
If the topic requires more than a half-second of thought - the topic goes in the War Forum.

If it involves subjective pre-teen interests (newcomers to hormones) such as Star Wars, post-a-picture-of-a-hot-girl, Hollywood gossip, images of dragons, or God-forbid - anything Subaru-related....then it fits squarely into the Lounge Forum.

Please don't make the youngsters think by posting adult topics in the Lounge. It hurts their self-esteem when they lose the battle of words, thoughts, or ideas.
While I sense the sarcasm in your post, I think it's actually beneficial to sort out serious topics with those that aren't. Why mix them together? We keep OS threads separate from Application ones even though they could be together.

If anything, we're probably ready for the war lounge to be renamed and made a permanent forum of its own. But keep the topics separated the way they are, IMO, unless further separation is necessary.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Xeo
While I sense the sarcasm in your post, I think it's actually beneficial to sort out serious topics with those that aren't. Why mix them together? We keep OS threads separate from Application ones even though they could be together.

If anything, we're probably ready for the war lounge to be renamed and made a permanent forum of its own. But keep the topics separated the way they are, IMO, unless further separation is necessary.
Well if you wanted to name the War Lounge the Smart lounge and the main lounge the Linsday Lohan is to skinny now Lounge, then I would understand. But you need to then rename it. Nobody is going to willfully be a newbie and visit the War Lounge. So right now by moving topics there you're just saying hey we don't want to have to deal with these ones.

Currently if you're going to try and make it a more thoughtful place... perhaps you should put more thought to the name.

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2005, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by paul w
I miss tooki... :/
That has the potential for being a decent Marx Brothers routine.
Groucho: I miss tooki.

Chico: I mistooki you for somebody too.

Groucho: Well, I don't want to be tooken anywhere by the likes of you.

Chico: Oh, you gots me all wrong. You must be mistooken.

Groucho: Not if I yell really loud and put up a fight.

Chico: Well, THAT would be a must take. You know, I've never been licked.

Groucho: (To camera) I don't like where we're goin with this...
President Bush, Get Out Of Iraq Now!

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 10:25 AM

Nobody is going to willfully be a newbie and visit the War Lounge.

I seem to recall certain members racking up thousands of posts in there without ever really posting in the other forums. aberdeenwriter comes to mind although I suspect there may have been others.

There used to be a lot of good healthy debate there, from both sides of the issues.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 10:35 AM

Ahh! Sweep the cries of the people against injustice under the rug! Go ahead! COMMUNISTS! NAZIS! POP MUSIC FANS! May you all run Windows on your primary machine where there will be weeping and nashing of teeth! NASHING!
Gnashing. I thought you were finally using OS X's spellchecker.

Bigger picture: calm down. Every post of yours in the past week has been bitching and moaning.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2005, 01:31 PM

I think he was joking there. I think.
Chuck
___

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2005, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I think he was joking there. I think.
No no no, I was ENTIRELY SERIOUS... don't you use words like (fine) gnashing in every day conversation?

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 01:00 PM

My ideas:
**** pot
Septic Tank
Submarine
Canteen
Four day hotel dream
Think I'll buy me a football team…[Sorry, I just started humming the tune form Money. Excuse the last two]
Blood Gulch
House of really pointy things
Anger Anonymous HQ
Latrine
CAP LOCKS HQ
Argument Clinic [Monty Python]
Frontline
The Trenches
French Riviera

I sorta like the Argument Clinic.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 01:07 PM

No no no, I was ENTIRELY SERIOUS... don't you use words like (fine) gnashing in every day conversation?
Depends on who you're talking with. Some men have bigger dictions than others.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 05:12 PM

"Level 8- the Malebolge"

"Many and varied sinners suffer eternally in the multi-leveled Malebolge, an ampitheatre-shapped pit of despair Wholly of stone and of an iron colour: Those guilty of fraudulence and malice; the seducers and pimps, who are whipped by horned demons; the hypocrites, who struggle to walk in lead-lined cloaks; the barraters, who are ducked in boiling pitch by demons known as the Malebranche. The simonists, wedged into stone holes, and whose feet are licked by flames, kick and writhe desperately. The magicians, diviners, fortune tellers, and panderers are all here, as are the thieves. Some wallow in human excrement. Serpents writhe and wrap around men, sometimes fusing into each other. Bodies are torn apart. When you arrive, you will want to put your hands over your ears because of the lamentations of the sinners here, who are afflicted with scabs like leprosy, and lay sick on the ground, furiously scratching their skin off with their nails. Indeed, justice divine doth smite them with its hammer."

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 22, 2005, 05:46 PM

Well if you wanted to name the War Lounge the Smart lounge and the main lounge the Linsday Lohan is to skinny now Lounge, then I would understand.
AAHAH he made a funny.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2005, 07:00 PM

WTF Zimph?

Forum Links
Forum Rules