Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How Exactly Did Flash Become So Popular?!

How Exactly Did Flash Become So Popular?!
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 12:19 AM

OK forget the fact that you know Flash on the web is bloody annoying a lot of the time, even forget the fact that there is some NICELY done flash sites on the web... forget all that... how is it that it ever caught on? Did the interface actually behave well before? Like we're talking years ago before version 5 when I first tried it? I just DLed the trial of MX 2004 to do some animation stuff that I'll import into FCE for this thing I'm doing for my church. And I gota say on a 1Ghz 12 inch PowerBook with 768 Megs of RAM this new version feels as slow if not slower than version 5 did on my G3 333Mhz!

How is it that they haven't slimmed things down, how is it that they've seemingly managed to clutter the interface MORE... how can a company get away with this sort of... just... gah.

Oh well hopefully half the dev team will be fired and replaced by people at Adobe who have a clue what they're doing... but still... though with my recent realizations about Adobe I'm not sure if I'll buy a product from them again...

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jun 16, 2005, 12:58 AM

People are Human

Warung
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
And I gota say on a 1Ghz 12 inch PowerBook with 768 Megs of RAM this new version feels as slow if not slower than version 5 did on my G3 333Mhz!
LOL. Have you ever tried using it on a PC? It smokes, and the possibilities are virtually endless (especially when you get into the PHP side of it). Back in the days when HTML was all tables and lame a55, Flash gave you all the flexibility you needed for a decent layout.

Macromedia (now Adobe?) doesn't really care about the Mac platform any longer, since 99% of web development is done on PCs and for PCs. Maybe all of this will change soon...very soon. There was some talk about Apple and Intel...hmmm..can't remember.

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Warung
99% of web development is done on PCs
Who told you that??

Chicken- What specifically is slow about it?

Flash Professional 7.2 runs pretty decent on my 1ghz 12in.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 02:04 AM

It runs fine on my 12in. What site is bothering you?

loki74
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 02:11 AM

I have Studio MX2004. They all run fast as I would expect. My computer is a...

Dual 2.5GHz PowerMac G5 with 2.5GB of RAM, 128MB VRAM, running OSX 10.3.9 Panther w/ 23" Sony SDM-P234 LCD Monitor.

How did flash become popular? Its interactive, which provides web developers with the ability to create UI's that would be near impossible to do in HTML, Javascript, or otherwise. Also, Flash is probably one of the only programs I know of that was helped by being cracked and illegally downloaded by so many people. You mentioned the annying stuff happening? Like stuff you find on those joke sites? I doubt a lot of those people got Flash the expensive way. And when someone says "flahs movie" or "flahs game" or "flash animation," those joke/game thingies are the first to come to mind. They probably helped spur on its use in the professional world.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 02:13 AM

I think he's talking about the app itself that runs slowly on his PB. I have an original Ti and I can't run Flash for longer than 20 minutes at a time without a restart (same thing with PhotoShop, 45 minutes tops and I get a "Startup Disk Full" warning).

Re: web dev being done only on PCs, I work at a web design firm and we do all the design and production on Macs. The programmers have PCs, but the rest of us are on Macs. I'm not saying that's representative of the entire market, but in my little web dev world 80% of site development is done on a Mac.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 02:30 AM

The interface feels as slow as it did on my G3, the only thing that feels faster is the render times for exporting. I dono I finally got back into my flash groove and it wasn't so bad... but... still I would have thought they could have done a lot better than this. After using Final Cut Express and Garageband I was used to that same simplistic yet powerful approach to the time line... and found Flash sorely lacking. Eventually I remembered the stuff I'd forgotten and stuff... but dang the app is bloody unintuitive... and I even remembered for the most part what I was looking for!

Oh well, I got my small animation done. But I don't look forward to tweaking it once I'm done all the work I'm doing in FCE.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2005, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
I think he's talking about the app itself that runs slowly on his PB. I have an original Ti and I can't run Flash for longer than 20 minutes at a time without a restart (same thing with PhotoShop, 45 minutes tops and I get a "Startup Disk Full" warning).
Startup Disk Full means you don't have enough drive space (usually due to swap space growth).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 03:08 AM

Exactly. I'm on a 4-year-old laptop that has accumulated a lot of shiat over its life; my Documents and Music folders are ridiculously huge. But Flash has to be chuggin a lot of resources in order to shut me down in 20 minutes.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 03:53 AM

Oh well hopefully half the dev team will be fired and replaced by people at Adobe who have a clue what they're doing... but still... though with my recent realizations about Adobe I'm not sure if I'll buy a product from them again...
Aren't you boycotting Adobe?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 04:21 AM

The next "generation" of flash will be fast on the mac.

-Owl

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by :XI:
Aren't you boycotting Adobe?
Yes which makes me glad I don't actually need flash and that I have an old copy of Flash 5 which I imagine will feel blazing running on a Dual G5 hahaha

Warung
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR
Who told you that??

Okay, I was exaggerating. But I'm sure it's somewhere around 90%. And the most used browser by a longshot is still I.E. for Windows.

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2005, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
Exactly. I'm on a 4-year-old laptop that has accumulated a lot of shiat over its life; my Documents and Music folders are ridiculously huge. But Flash has to be chuggin a lot of resources in order to shut me down in 20 minutes.
Get an external FW drive.

-t

Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 10:54 AM

Yes which makes me glad I don't actually need flash and that I have an old copy of Flash 5 which I imagine will feel blazing running on a Dual G5 hahaha
Have you seen all the anit-christian stuff on the internet? You should boycott the internet too.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by :XI:
Have you seen all the anit-christian stuff on the internet? You should boycott the internet too.
That's right. Christians should lock themselves up in their churches and Christian bubbles.
Whatever happened to being light and salt of the earth...

-t

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Warung
since 99% of all crappy web development is done on PCs
Fixed.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2005, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by DeathMan
Fixed.
The other 1% http://www.spymac.com/

Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2005, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777
That's right. Christians should lock themselves up in their churches and Christian bubbles.
Whatever happened to being light and salt of the earth...

-t
Er, no. Just overzealous christians like Superchicken.

"OMG Adobe won't give free stuff to my church! DIE ADOBE!"
"OMG Apple are supporting christian artists! GO APPLE!"

Salt of the Earth eh?

Forum Links
Forum Rules