Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > OK So I'm Thinking New PowerMac within the next two months...

OK So I'm Thinking New PowerMac within the next two months...
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 02:50 AM

Yah I'll have enough by then, and it'll work great I figured with my 12inch inch 1Ghz PowerBook
I'm planning on getting a Dual 2Ghz with a 20 inch Cinema, both have come down in price a lot (specifically the Cinema). And after starting the video work for a church project and having 5 gigs of my HD taken up from just one shooting, I figure if I'm going to keep playing with video I'm going to need more Power, and more than that I'll need more HD space.

Not to mention I don't know how the transition to the Intel world is going to go, so I figure this way I'm pretty much set for the next three years minimum doing what I want to do. I mean I lasted 4 years on an iMac revision D, I think I could pull more time, especially considering the fact that even with what Apple says I doubt we're going to see anything any time soon that trounces a Dual 2.0Ghz G5.

But I just have a few questions that some of you with the Machines already might be able to answer.

Expandability, I know there's only room internally to put in one more HD, but is there a possibility that I might be able to run another IDE cable outside of the case and into something else that would be allow me to put in more HDs? I think I'd either have to do that or set up a Firewire 800 setup for external HDs, but that is a lot pricer than simply buying and attaching more HDs, I really regret that Apple doesn't allow more HDs in the G5s, but I guess with this much space to play around with with desktop drives worst case senario is that you back up to one and put in a brand new fresh one.

RAM, how easy is it to install more RAM? I remember with the El capitan style machines you just pulled out the door, is there anything to take out in the new machines?

I saw in the store a clear plastic side panel does that come with the Machine or do you order it separately?

how luggable is the Machine? Like, I know it has handles and all, but is it actually the sort of thing that you'd say, oh I'm doing a project here for a week I'll take my G5 or would you just go...uhh... I'll go home or work or where ever to do my work?

Uhh... any other things I should know about? I honestly don't care about fan noise, I can crank up my stereo pretty loud. So yah... any comments suggestions you have to make would be cool...

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 03:19 AM

The G5's use SATA drives, not IDE. You can get a SATA PCI card that lets you connect more HD's, but you don't have the space inside... but if you're creative you could come up with something. I for one have plenty of space for my current video editing projects with 1x250GB and 1x200GB... 450GB in total. Nowadays you can 400GB HD's, get two and you have 800GB, I tihnk that should do, no?

Memory is very easy to install, and takes about 20 seconds. In the G5's you need to take out the Intake fans (very easy) to get to the RAM slots, place the memory and then place back the fans. It's easy, don't worry.

The plastic panel comes with the G5, and must remain in place while the machine is running. It is there to guide the air its proper course.

Luggable? I think it's damn heavy. It is somewhere in the 20kg's. I've never taken is anywhere.
The Dual 2.0 isn't loud, I barely hear mine. I just love this machine, and I'm sure you will as well.

Good hunting.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2005, 04:29 AM

Getting access to the RAM slots for installation is quite easy, and installing them is also easy. . . unless you do not know what to expect when installing G5 RAM. G5 RAM will not necessarily lock into both sides of the slot at once (as you may be used to with other computers). When pressing down you'll probably see the module lock into one side first, and then you'll have to apply pressure on the other side to get it to lock down. I had a very difficult ordeal with my G5 when I first got it due to the fact I was unaware of this detail, but once I found out the "secret" subsequent installations were laughably easy.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 04:51 AM

By the way I hear you have to install in pairs... is there some sort of diagram inside the machine that shows how to do it or will I be posting a question on MacNN once I go to install my first gig or so of RAM?

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 04:58 AM

You have to install in pairs. There are 4 RAM slots in your G5, and you have to install mirror-wise.
_____
slot 2
slot 1
_____
space
_____
slot 1
slot 2
_____

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 05:14 AM

Ohhh I get it

Cool... that makes sense. Thanks

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2005, 05:17 AM

There are a couple of third-party solutions for getting more drives in the case, e.g. G5 Jam. SwiftData 200 does a similar thing, plus there's a SATA card & external drive solution from LaCie. So there are plenty of options (if you can afford them).

G5 Jam works a treat, but makes our G5's fans run louder. Firewire 800 drives are more than fast enough for DV, but we do a lot of 10-bit SD video, so need the speed of SATA RAID 0.

We actually run the system off an external FW800 and use the full terabyte (almost) of internal storage for video. Unconventional, but it works.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 11:46 PM

Wow, I like the idea of the G5Jam! That sounds great, granted I doubt I'd need one for a long time... but it sounds like an awesome solution!

I'm glad there already exists a solution for my potential problem... frick I wish I had my Power Mac now...

You know... if I get one I will have had an iMac, then an iBook, a PowerBook and now a PowerMac

Forum Links
Forum Rules