Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Christian Artist Featured In Apple's HD Gallery?

Christian Artist Featured In Apple's HD Gallery?
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 04:03 AM

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/hdgal...bymacgone.html

Check it out... I was shocked when I heard about it... granted with DC Talk he's had more albums go platinum than... albums than I have had Macs... and he is himself a Mac user... I still find it crazy to see Apple promoting a Christian artist (I bet Adobe woudln't do this sorta thing )

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 04:23 AM

"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2005, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
I still find it crazy to see Apple promoting a Christian artist (I bet Adobe woudln't do this sorta thing )
Please explain.
(Don't explain the snide adobe comment, we know you hate adobe. You've stopped using their products, right? Right?)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2005, 04:35 AM

Why would Adobe promote any artist? And what does someone's faith have to do anything?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab
Please explain.
(Don't explain the snide adobe comment, we know you hate adobe. You've stopped using their products, right? Right?)
Because Christian artists normally get the extremely short end of the stick. I'm sure by now most of you have heard of Switchfoot? Right, one of the few bands getting radio time that sings about something other than who they're going to screw that night? Well it's not as if Beautiful Letdown was much if any better than Learning to Breathe or New Way to be Human but because they got signed to Sony suddenly all the radio stations started playing em, and just about everyone and their dog were saying how great this new album that at the time was over a year old was!

Bands like the OC Supertones, Falling Up, Seven Places, The Benjamin Gate, The Wedding, etc all putting out GREAT stuff, easily on par with or better than your average crap on the radio and they get no exposure, no support no nada. I saw a band's on Conan and later their video on Much and the song was probably filled 50% with the phrase, "Don't want you, I need you".

I'm just extremely surprised to see tobyMac's video up on Quicktime.com

Who knows, maybe the next Jeremy Camp video will be up there some day?

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 05:35 AM

That's it! Intel I can deal with. But promoting Christian Artists? Nu-uh! I'm buying a... a... well, I don't know what I'm buying just yet, but whatever it is I'm buying it.

Really, who gives a **** if the guy's christian, hindu or muslim? So long as people enjoy the music he puts out

*cough*blog*cough*

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2005, 06:17 AM

What was the point of this thread again?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 06:21 AM

On a side note, I kinda dug the beats in toby's first album.

And on a further aside, superchicken, thread's like these don't do the Christian faith any favors bro. You might think it's a good thing, but it's more harmful than not. You've gotta be delicate, not blatantly forceful, and that's with any religion.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 07:06 AM

Oh Splendid! Splendid!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
What was the point of this thread again?
Chrisitians are a persecuted minority in America, and everyone, especially Apple and Adobe, are out to "get" them, so it's always shockng when they accidentally forget to censor one on one of Apple's websites.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

dav
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by chris v
Chrisitians are a persecuted minority in America, and everyone, especially Apple and Adobe, are out to "get" them, so it's always shockng when they accidentally forget to censor one on one of Apple's websites.
one post closer to five stars

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 16, 2005, 07:45 AM

<insertfavoriteidolhere> almighty - enough with the religious crap already. Just to reiterate what :XI: already mentioned upthread ... who cares what belief(s) the guys holds? He makes music, people like it, Apple thought it was worth a mention (also?) because he/they used FCP in the production of the video - and that's the end of it.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 08:04 AM

this thread is now about music

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 08:11 AM

LOL

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 16, 2005, 08:35 AM

This.wasn't.worth.the.e-paper.it.took.to.make.

Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
This.wasn't.worth.the.e-paper.it.took.to.make.
Like.your.posts?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 16, 2005, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by :XI:
Like.your.posts?

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 08:46 AM

your pic don't make sense, zimphire

Where's the pot? Just a kettle and another kettle, maybe coffee maker thingy....

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2005, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by paul w
your pic don't make sense, zimphire

Where's the pot? Just a kettle and another kettle, maybe coffee maker thingy....
Coffee pot and tea kettle.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 09:16 AM

Will you be retiring when you hit 30,000 posts of nothing O' King of Nothingness?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 16, 2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by :XI:
Will you be retiring when you hit 30,000 posts of nothing O' King of Nothingness?
Yet another tard that doesn't get the reference.
Originally Posted by Millennium

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 09:42 AM

Christ Almighty!

Even He would get annoyed with all the Goddamn Christian threads you're posting.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2005, 09:44 AM

Getting religion is like getting a girlfriend who's halfway attractive. You want everyone to know about it.

Don't others wish there was an 11th commandment: Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
and they're both black.... I obviously had a moment there. Stem cell research anyone?

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 09:50 AM

Don't others wish there was an 11th commandment: Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.
To quote my friend Drew: "If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. But don't f*ckin' tell me about it!"
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2005, 10:35 AM

IBL or IBMTWL.

-t

deomacius
Senior User
Jun 16, 2005, 10:35 AM

{Takes a big whiff of the tolerance in this thread}

You reap what you sow.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 10:37 AM

Ever heard of the Christian artist Dennis Jernigan?

Now there's someone most people don't hear about, but very talented. Want to know why he's not famous yet?

...Because he sings about Jesus and God.

I'm sorry, but Christian music just doesn't get people going. 99.9% of the time, people don't listen to Christian music to worship Jesus and God, they listen to it only to make themselves feel better about themselves. As if they're a better person because they're Christian.

In fact, this is the heart of any religion. It's not about Jesus or God, it's about yourself. But hey, if it makes
you happy, them I'm honestly all for it. When you think about it, our only goal in life is to be happy. If it makes you happy being Christian, then that's great. But I've learned from experience that I'm not happy being a Christian, so keep your beliefs to yourself.

...No offense meant...

Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 10:45 AM

Yet another tard that doesn't get the reference.

Which reference? The King of Nothingness? You're right, I'm not sure what that's all about. I have better things to do than follow you around the internet.

And I got the pot calling the kettle reference, I just didn't think it needed pointing out. Now, do we argue over which of us is 'blacker'?

Dipshit.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 10:55 AM

If they are a good group, then there is no need of a discussion.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 11:20 AM

Because Christian artists normally get the extremely short end of the stick. I'm sure by now most of you have heard of Switchfoot? Right, one of the few bands getting radio time that sings about something other than who they're going to screw that night? Well it's not as if Beautiful Letdown was much if any better than Learning to Breathe or New Way to be Human but because they got signed to Sony suddenly all the radio stations started playing em, and just about everyone and their dog were saying how great this new album that at the time was over a year old was!

Bands like the OC Supertones, Falling Up, Seven Places, The Benjamin Gate, The Wedding, etc all putting out GREAT stuff, easily on par with or better than your average crap on the radio and they get no exposure, no support no nada. I saw a band's on Conan and later their video on Much and the song was probably filled 50% with the phrase, "Don't want you, I need you".

I'm just extremely surprised to see tobyMac's video up on Quicktime.com

Political Lounge: Politics, war, religion, party bickering, etc. Please check straw men at the door.

Christian artists don't get the short end of the stick; they're just separated from the rest of the industry thankfully. Their popularity stems from talking about God. Or having the name "Jesus" in the lyrics. Its a multimillion dollar industry.

And it's so derivative it hurts.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 11:21 AM

This is getting retarded.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 11:22 AM

Marketable music gets promoted and played. It's got nothing to do with talent, quality, or the belief system of the artist. Maybe there is a vast amount of christian music that is better than the majority of crap getting air play. But there is a vast amount of EVERY kind of music better than the majority of crap getting air play. It's all about the money. If someone thinks it will make him money to play a song, he will play it, be it Eminem or the Good Lord Himself.

Talented Christian artists don't have it worse than any other struggling musicians. They may actually have it better as they have a built-in fan base. As a much younger lad, I went to quite a few Christian "rock" concerts, and there were church groups that travelled for hours to see them. Some of it was pretty good, most of it was crap. The crap got a much bigger audience then they deserved because of their beliefs (or content, I don't know what their actual beliefs were, I assume they were sincere).

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 11:23 AM

Because Christian artists normally get the extremely short end of the stick.
That is because not many people want to listen to crappy rock music where they replace "baby" with "lord".

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
That is because not many people want to listen to crappy rock music where they replace "baby" with "lord".

Hit me Lord one more time.

o lord, lord

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 11:25 AM

Lord got back!

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 11:39 AM

I see you lord, shaking that ass.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2005, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500
Marketable music gets promoted and played. It's got nothing to do with talent, quality, or the belief system of the artist. Maybe there is a vast amount of christian music that is better than the majority of crap getting air play. But there is a vast amount of EVERY kind of music better than the majority of crap getting air play. It's all about the money. If someone thinks it will make him money to play a song, he will play it, be it Eminem or the Good Lord Himself.

Talented Christian artists don't have it worse than any other struggling musicians. They may actually have it better as they have a built-in fan base. As a much younger lad, I went to quite a few Christian "rock" concerts, and there were church groups that travelled for hours to see them. Some of it was pretty good, most of it was crap. The crap got a much bigger audience then they deserved because of their beliefs (or content, I don't know what their actual beliefs were, I assume they were sincere).

Much Christian music might be good music, even with generally decent lyrics, but the constant references to “God is good, God is great, I live in constant ecstasy every day because I believe in God and feel the need to shout it out to all the world” that are to be found in far too much of it just makes it seem ridiculous and phoney.

There are two kinds of Christian music that I can enjoy without cringing:

1. The kind that has generally beautiful lyrics and only uses Christian names/symbols in a general, abstract way, such as hymns (“How Can I Keep from Singing?” comes to mind, which is a beautiful and thoroughly enjoyable song), and even lots of music that I wouldn't consider Christian to begin with (one of my favourite lines in any song is from a distinctively non-Christian group, Sigur Rós: “Það besta sem Guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur”—“The best thing God has created is a new day”).

2. The kind that makes only moderate references to Jesus, God, or other Christian 'direct' symbols, or either 'hides' them in or complements them with some kind of symbolism or abstractness. A lot of music by artists such as Enya and Sinéad O'Connor is highly Christian in this respect, but it does without the constant “I love God, God is great!” references.

Unfortunately, so little of the bulk of Christian music (particularly Christian rock) seem to be able to master these two very simple techniques of making even very Christian lyrics have Christian content, but still not make most people cringe.

As long as music/lyrics doesn't make me cringe because of those above-mentioned references popping up everywhere (or for any other reasons there might be for the music/lyrics making me cringe, such as just plain sucking), I have absolutely no problems listening to Christian music, or Islamic music, or Buddhistic music, or Hopi music, or music professing any other religion under the Sun (or even above the Sun, if there are any).

Super Mario
Jun 16, 2005, 01:55 PM

Christian rockstars are just like nonChristian ones, they all take drugs and **** like five minute bunnies when nobody is looking. The difference is that in Bush's America Christians are popping up with disposable cash.

My goal is to move to America and start a Christian new-metal band called Switchcross. So much money to be made if I say Jesus, Lord, O God a few times in each song.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2005, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
My goal is to move to America and start a Christian new-metal band called Switchcross. So much money to be made if I say Jesus, Lord, O God a few times in each song.
Enjoy the ride.
While you're at it, do you have a plan how you would come up with the necessary mucial talent ?

-t

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 02:52 PM

I couldn't agree any more!

Super Mario
Jun 16, 2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Enjoy the ride.
While you're at it, do you have a plan how you would come up with the necessary mucial talent ?

-t
More mucial and even more musical talent than this.....Tobymac.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2005, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario
More mucial...
Hehe, I almost bashed on you for your spelling

-t

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2005, 04:14 PM

I'll tell you exactly why apple gave them a little free press...BECAUSE THEY USE FREKINING APPLE PRODUCTS!
End of story.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2005, 04:51 PM

Norma Jean

You ought to see these guys live.

iTunes Link

Of course, most people simply can't handle them...
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2005, 05:02 PM

Because Christian artists normally get the extremely short end of the stick.

Bands like the OC Supertones, Falling Up, Seven Places, The Benjamin Gate, The Wedding, etc all putting out GREAT stuff, easily on par with or better than your average crap on the radio and they get no exposure, no support no nada.
OC Supertones: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...rtistId=545560
Falling Up: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...tistId=5641670
Seven Places: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...tistId=5360721
The Benjamin Gate: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...rtistId=568253
The Wedding: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...istId=54864345

iTunes Essentials, Christian Rock/Pop: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...ix?id=40916872

No exposure, no support? Every band you listed is on iTMS. There are a LOT of great bands that get no exposure and no support, but it has nothing to do with Apple, and nothing to do with being Christian.

Super Mario
Jun 16, 2005, 05:07 PM

Hehe, I almost bashed on you for your spelling

-t
Since English is not out mother language we can forgive each other. Mucial is in my dictionary though defined as 'No entry found' Next time I'm feeling a girl who has her clothes on I know what word to use!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2005, 05:46 PM

Actually, Google has 137 hits for "mucial instruments"! They MUST exist !

-t

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 05:56 PM

Enjoy the ride.

-t
He's gonna hire Token and Butters.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2005, 06:02 PM

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/hdgal...bymacgone.html

Check it out... I was shocked when I heard about it... granted with DC Talk he's had more albums go platinum than... albums than I have had Macs... and he is himself a Mac user... I still find it crazy to see Apple promoting a Christian artist (I bet Adobe woudln't do this sorta thing )
Because Apple knows Christian music is a multi-billion dollar a year industry. It's not really very complicated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules