Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Way To Prevent Apps From Putting Things In Certain Places?

Way To Prevent Apps From Putting Things In Certain Places?
Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 10:50 PM

OK, call me a control freak, but the fact that Apple works put it's user info in the documents folder (bad example Apple!) was enough to make me vow to never use the App again. That said I recently bought FCE. And it insists on putting a Final Cut Express folder in my documents folder, even if you set the scratch disk and everything else to go to a different folder it STILL creates a new one.

So I'm just wondering, is there anything you can do to force apps to not be able to make folders in certain places?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2005, 01:28 AM

Unless the program allows you to change the setting, I suppose you'd have to run it from a different user so that it would not have access to your ~/ folders. But that probably doesn't help.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2005, 02:49 AM

Don't use the application.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2005, 03:46 AM

You could probably move the folder somewhere else, drop an alias (or a symlink if it's a non-Carbon app) to the folder in the Documents folder, and then set the Invisible flag on the alias.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2005, 05:14 AM

As I said, this is Final Cut Express... I just paid 200 bucks for it. I don't exactly have the option of not using it when I'm working on video projects.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2005, 12:49 PM

Have you tried locking the folder? Or just living with it?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 06:42 PM

What I did for Microsoft User Data folder created in Documents is that I set the invisible attribute on the folder so that I don't see it anymore in the Finder.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jul 6, 2005, 08:31 PM

That's a good idea. With Office v.X you could actually get it to respect your decision to put the folder in Application support or so, but they seem to have gotten rid of that 'bug' (presumably ) with 2004.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 08:48 PM

You can safely move the Microsoft User Data folder to ~/Library/Preferences. This works with Office v.X and 2004.
Vandelay Industries

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 6, 2005, 08:53 PM

I think the default actually changed to ~/Library/Preferences in 2004, because that's where mine is, and I don't remember moving it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jul 7, 2005, 01:40 AM

Genius. Mine for 2004 has been in ~/Documents, causing me much annoyance, since conception ... until now! Don't know why I didn't think of trying ~/Library/Preferences, but it seems to be coping with it there. Brilliant .

As for FCE having such an issue, I think it's just another example of Apple not following their own standards – like with requiring Applications to stay in particular folders in order for updates to work! And with the non-standard functionality of the 'toolbar' widget in the Finder, and with the inconsistent and incomprehensible seemingly random application of the growing number of user interfaces to new applications, and ... and ... that'll do for now .

Superchicken  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2005, 02:32 AM

Gah this is frustrating. By the way making it invisible doesn't work. And locking it would be fine sept that still leaves it in the folder.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2005, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
Gah this is frustrating. By the way making it invisible doesn't work. And locking it would be fine sept that still leaves it in the folder.
Did you try moving it somewhere and leaving an alias/symlink in its place, and making the alias invisible?

I can't guarantee that will work, but it's worth a try.

Franz
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2005, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by pat++
What I did for Microsoft User Data folder created in Documents is that I set the invisible attribute on the folder so that I don't see it anymore in the Finder.
How do you do this? I'm assuming by using the Terminal or something?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2005, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Franz
How do you do this? I'm assuming by using the Terminal or something?
If you have the Classic environment, you can use ResEdit (I like this, because it makes it easy to select an alias rather than the original file), or you can use one of many OS X utilities designed for this. One such utility that I like is XRay, which you can find on VersionTracker or MacUpdate (it's shareware; I think $10. It's not bad).

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2005, 05:27 AM

Franz
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2005, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tee
Perfect! That's exactly what I wanted and it works great. Thanks a lot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules