Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Canon EOS 400D (Rebel XTi) "Leaked"+Lenses (imgs)

Canon EOS 400D (Rebel XTi) "Leaked"+Lenses (imgs)
MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2006, 03:25 PM

10.1MP, Dust Removal (similar to Olympus). No spot metering, however.

I have been waiting a while for this lens: the 50mm F/1.2.. it will probably cost the same as it's 85mm counter part though, which is a quite a bundle of money.

and finally a 70-200 F/4 IS which many people have been waiting for:

Now let's wait for the "legend" that is supposed to come.
iamwhor3hay

jebjeb
Senior User
Aug 23, 2006, 04:35 PM

Nice that the 70-200 F4 now has IS. Wonder what price it is going to be and if they will keep the non-IS version (which I have and love).

I guess we can expect a 40D now as well. Can't have the little brother better than the middle(ish) brother! They need something to counter the Nikon D200 at the same or cheaper price point anyway. The 5D is great but quite a bit more expensive. I still want to go full frame though.

OreoCookie
Aug 23, 2006, 05:15 PM

I agree. The 400D (well, if the pictures are accurate, that is) looks sturdier than its predecessors -- which it needs to be to be able to compete with the D80.

The big dial on the right shoulder suggests that there is no lcd … a step backwards in my opinion. Canon needs a 40D (I don't think Canon will sell a 400D with a higher resolution than the 30D for long), the D200 is aggressively priced and we can assume it will only become cheaper over time
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2006, 06:17 PM

NOOO I just upgrade my 10d to a 30d!

Oh well. My 30 is awesome, things could be worse...

Joe

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2006, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
I agree. The 400D (well, if the pictures are accurate, that is) looks sturdier than its predecessors -- which it needs to be to be able to compete with the D80.

The big dial on the right shoulder suggests that there is no lcd … a step backwards in my opinion. Canon needs a 40D (I don't think Canon will sell a 400D with a higher resolution than the 30D for long), the D200 is aggressively priced and we can assume it will only become cheaper over time
The Digital Reb+Digital Reb XT have never had the LCD on that shoulder. They have the LCD (very limited, however) over the main color LCD on the back of the camera.
iamwhor3hay

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2006, 08:05 PM

70-200 f/4 IS...

[FONT="Impact"]O.M.F.G!!!!!!!1[/FONT]

I guess I'm selling my 70-200 f/4 soon...

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2006, 09:17 PM

Looks awesome. Too bad I don't need any of it. I already have the 50mm 1.4 and the 70-300 USM IS. I'm not going to pay $1200+ for another half stop in the 50mm, or $800 for L quality in my telephoto. Some people might, but I'm not made of money.

10.1 MP would be nice, but not worth the upgrade cost and larger file sizes it would require. I'll stick with my 350D for now.

ImpulseResponse

Nagittar
Aug 24, 2006, 10:12 AM

it's now on the japan canon site ... Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 24, 2006, 12:43 PM

it's on the US site now.

release mid-september. $799 without the lens. compatible with all the Rebel XT (350D) accessories. cool.

tie
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 04:22 PM

Same viewfinder as the XT. Nikon's D80 was a much better update.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2006, 04:26 PM

Is the 400D and the XTi the same camera?

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 05:25 PM

Yes. 350D=Digital Rebel XT 300D=Digital Rebel.
iamwhor3hay

OreoCookie
Aug 24, 2006, 05:59 PM

The D80's viewfinder will make it pretty hard for me to resist …�if Canon hasn't improved theirs, it'll face stiff competition from Nikon (I'm not saying this as a Nikon fanboy, but as someone wearing glasses).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2006, 06:21 PM

So, Canon satisfied 2 very big items on the wishlist, yet priced them way outside the ballpark (1249 for the 70-200, and 1600 for the 50mm f/1.2).....interesting.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2006, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
70-200 f/4 IS...

[FONT="Impact"]O.M.F.G!!!!!!!1[/FONT]

I guess I'm selling my 70-200 f/4 soon...
US$1249 for it. Thus, I predict a street price of $1100-1150.

That's a lot of coin, esp. since I'd get less than US$500 for my non-IS 70-200 f/4L.

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 24, 2006, 06:37 PM

i don't think that's worth it at all. if i'm going to be spending $1200 on a telephoto, i'd get the 70-200 f/2.8L not the 4 IS. but maybe that's just me. then again, save another $400 and you can get the big daddy 2.8L IS.

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2006, 10:36 PM

yeah.. i'm a little disappointed with the prices of the lenses but hey, whatever.
iamwhor3hay

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2006, 11:33 PM

I have zero desire for the 70-200 f/2.8 lenses. They're just too big and heavy for my tastes.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 06:40 PM

I saw a Canon Xti for the first time, and it appears to be sweet. I am feeling weak and may end up buying it. I really shouldn't, but what can I say. It's nice and compact. Costco carries it for $799 with a lens.

I guess this is a subconsous scream for someone to yell stop, but as you know, that might only push me to buy it TODAY. Gads, why do I do this to myself. I use to own a Canon 20D. It was a nice camera, but it was too bulky. The Rebel xti is much smaller.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 06:41 PM

Screw it, I'm on my way to Costco right now.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 28, 2007, 09:42 PM

You won't be disappointed. I love my XTi.

I bought the battery grip. Best upgrade I have bought so far.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 10:03 PM

Well, I did it. It is real nice.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2007, 10:15 PM

i compared the feel of The XTi and the 30D and think i will end up with the 20D ( pretty much the same size as the 30D) as the XTi felt really really small and light in my hand, where the 30D felt almost ideal

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2007, 10:29 PM

I use to own a 20D. It's a nice camera, but a little bulky.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 28, 2007, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
i compared the feel of The XTi and the 30D and think i will end up with the 20D ( pretty much the same size as the 30D) as the XTi felt really really small and light in my hand, where the 30D felt almost ideal
That's where the battery grip comes in handy. It makes the XTi a nice large size and increases the length of time you can go between charging. Plus, I also am able to use AA batteries when I am on the road and can't charge the proprietary ones. The added weight helps you keep the camera steady on longer exposures.

The best part is you can take the battery grip off and you have a small camera when you want to have something a little lighter.

laieboy
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2007, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
That's where the battery grip comes in handy. It makes the XTi a nice large size and increases the length of time you can go between charging. Plus, I also am able to use AA batteries when I am on the road and can't charge the proprietary ones. The added weight helps you keep the camera steady on longer exposures.

The best part is you can take the battery grip off and you have a small camera when you want to have something a little lighter.
Why did you just say that? I was intent on purchasing a 30D but now I'm going to get the XTi instead.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by laieboy View Post
Why did you just say that? I was intent on purchasing a 30D but now I'm going to get the XTi instead.
I saved you some money. Send me half.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 01:46 PM

yeah but I can snag the 20D off ebay cheaper then the XTi alone.

Also doesn't battry grips just add mass to the base of the camera, and it doesn't change how small it feels in my right hand?

granted I haven't tried any camera with a grip

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 29, 2007, 01:52 PM

i have the grip with the XT (same one works with the XTi) and it makes a world of difference. i had to take it off to fit into an old bag i had (when i took it to macworld) and i missed it the entire time.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2007, 01:56 PM

Also doesn't battry grips just add mass to the base of the camera, and it doesn't change how small it feels in my right hand?

granted I haven't tried any camera with a grip
It extends the length of the camera along the right grip as well.

Along with adding extra battery capacity, it also adds a shutter release button and some other controls to the bottom-right of the unit (looking from rear of camera) so when you are shooting in portrait orientation you don't have to contort your hand/wrist over the camera body. You can also disable these controls as well.

Also, there's another anchor point for a strap that allows you to use a hand strap so you don't have to use a large neck strap.

The battery grip is a must-have accessory for a portrait photographer.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2007, 02:15 PM

Here are a few pictures. Excuse the smudge filled LCD, I forgot to clean it. I was showing my daughter some pictures and she was pointing and asking questions. Usually it's crystal clear.

fhoubi
Senior User
Jan 29, 2007, 04:25 PM

Here are a few pictures.
I liked my 50mm 1.8 very much too on my analog EOS, until I once forgot to lock it and it dropped 4 feet onto a glass table... The table survived...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2007, 04:34 PM

I have the 50 f/1.8 too.

It's OK, but definitely not one of my fave lenses. Plus on a 1.6X crop lens it's a little too long for general walkaround photos. I find a 35 f/2 much more useful, but even then I don't use it much either since I use my 24-105 f/4L IS most of the time.

fhoubi
Senior User
Jan 29, 2007, 04:54 PM

There is no crop on an analog SRL... But it (the prime 1.8) is still the cheapest way to make great photos... And with soo much light in the viewfinder it is addictive, any cheap zoom is a disappointment...

jebjeb
Senior User
Jan 29, 2007, 06:00 PM

Count me in as a extended grip lover as well. Mine has been on my 10D for probably 95% of the bodys use.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi View Post
There is no crop on an analog SRL... But it (the prime 1.8) is still the cheapest way to make great photos... And with soo much light in the viewfinder it is addictive, any cheap zoom is a disappointment...
That's what I was getting at. I see a lot of people recommending the 50 1.8 because it's cheap... and then you ask what they really prefer, they say the 35 f/2. Yeah, the 35 is more expensive, but it's still a relatively inexpensive prime lens, and for most people it's much more versatile on something like an XTi than the 50 1.8 is.

I have both lenses BTW.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2007, 06:44 PM

i have nothing against the grip, its just that it doesn't change the physical size of the grip of the camera, it felt like i would get a hand cramp after much time

Canon EOS 400D / Digital Rebel XTi Review: 4. Body & Design: Digital Photography Review

they seem to agree

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2007, 07:16 PM

Ever since the Canon T90 which had a extended grip due to the need for room for the batteries, i've bought the grips for the EOS 5 and 350D, it just feels so much more comfortable to me and vertical button helps loads when shooting in low light in the balance of the camera.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2007, 07:41 PM

I don't like the grips, but that's just me. I have pretty small hands though.

fhoubi
Senior User
Jan 29, 2007, 07:43 PM

Eug, I agree 100% that "50mm prime" is the nice way to go, thus 35mm for a cropped DSLR (unless you have a 5D). The reason BTW I did not replace my 1.8 is because I switched to Nikon (D50) after my 300D was a POS. I only buy printers from Canon since. I still miss some Canon lenses, but metering and ergonomics did it for me.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2007, 08:09 PM

I liked my 50mm 1.8 very much too on my analog EOS, until I once forgot to lock it and it dropped 4 feet onto a glass table... The table survived...
Ouch.
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I have the 50 f/1.8 too.

It's OK, but definitely not one of my fave lenses. Plus on a 1.6X crop lens it's a little too long for general walkaround photos. I find a 35 f/2 much more useful, but even then I don't use it much either since I use my 24-105 f/4L IS most of the time.
It's a very cheap lens, not a dent on the wallet at all. I mean, for $80 you can't go wrong!

It is nice for portrait work and low light situations.

The 35mm f/2 is ordered.

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
That's what I was getting at. I see a lot of people recommending the 50 1.8 because it's cheap... and then you ask what they really prefer, they say the 35 f/2. Yeah, the 35 is more expensive, but it's still a relatively inexpensive prime lens, and for most people it's much more versatile on something like an XTi than the 50 1.8 is.

I have both lenses BTW.
They each have their place.
i have nothing against the grip, its just that it doesn't change the physical size of the grip of the camera, it felt like i would get a hand cramp after much time

Canon EOS 400D / Digital Rebel XTi Review: 4. Body & Design: Digital Photography Review

they seem to agree
My hand doesn't cramp even after hours of carrying it around. I have average sized hands.
Eug, I agree 100% that "50mm prime" is the nice way to go, thus 35mm for a cropped DSLR (unless you have a 5D). The reason BTW I did not replace my 1.8 is because I switched to Nikon (D50) after my 300D was a POS. I only buy printers from Canon since. I still miss some Canon lenses, but metering and ergonomics did it for me.
Yeah, the 50mm becoming a 80mm with the crop factor is sometimes annoying when I have limited space.

Canon printers are the best balance of cost, reliability, and image quality. It would be nice to have other camera manufacturers come out with printers. It's annoying that companies that have very little to do with image output make the majority of printers. ie Dell, HP, Lexmark, Brother...

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2007, 11:25 PM

I'd like to get one of the 28-300mm zoom lenses. Either Sigma or Tamron. I use to own an earlier version of the Tamron and I was not happy with it at all. I've read a couple reviews and comparisons, and each one claims the other is better. I'm not sure who is writting the reviews, maybe company salesman trying to influence buyers.

Anyhow, has anyone had any expierence with the Sigma 28-300? I didn't like the Tamron at all, and I went through 2 of them.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 30, 2007, 12:16 AM

lenses that cover that huge a range are often of fairly dubious quality. it's better to have two or three lenses to cover such a range.
for example, i have a 10-24, 24-70, 50, and 70-300. i also have an 18-125, but i don't use it anymore.

oh, and looks like the 28-300 is pretty craptastic.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2007, 02:06 AM

The 24-105 is fantastic, but it costs way too much.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2007, 02:32 AM

Thank you. I've decided not to buy the 28-300. I believe I may be interested in the 135-400mm. It costs more but has much better reviews.

jebjeb
Senior User
Jan 30, 2007, 04:04 AM

I love my 50 f/1.4 as it does become the classic 80mm portrait length on a 1.6 crop camera. This is where I find the huge aperture really useful for great shallow DOF and lovely bokeh. Plus 80mm is a really flattering focal length.

Would also like something around the 35 f/2 for indoor available light shooting. As others have said the 50 can be a bit too long sometimes.

Buckaroo, my dad used to have the Sigma 170-500. It was a reasonable lense for its price and length but it really needed to be stopped down at least two or three stops before it got anywhere decent. This can be pretty limiting. But again, for the price...

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 10:49 AM

I currently rock the Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 and I like them both, but I am itching for a new lens. (Digital Rebel XT)

Anybody have any experience with the Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro, specifically with a Digital Rebel?

Railroader
Banned
Jan 30, 2007, 09:43 PM

The 35mm f/2 is ordered.
I ended up switching the order when I got to the store.

I picked up the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX. VERY nice. I'll post a sample in a little bit.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2007, 10:52 PM

I just wish there was a way that you could turn the LCD on to aim. During those times you have to hold the camera at arms reach.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 30, 2007, 11:40 PM

I ended up switching the order when I got to the store.

I picked up the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX. VERY nice. I'll post a sample in a little bit.
OK, here it is:

This is the basic set up I took pictures of to demonstrate the Sigma 30mm f/1.4

Here's a detail cropped from the above picture. This is my daughter's baby Ariel.

These three pictures were taken at ISO 100. I forgot to take a f/1.4 shot, but images are a little too soft for my taste at f/1.4. Deal with it.

At the larger apertures there's a little vignetting.

f/2.8 @ 1/10 sec.

f/5.6 @ 0.4 sec,

f/16 @ 1.5 sec.

This image was take at ISO 400

f/16 @ 0.6 sec.

Forum Links
Forum Rules