Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Good quality keyboard for cheaper than Apple?

Good quality keyboard for cheaper than Apple?
MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 04:06 PM

I like the new Apple Keyboard.. but I was wondering if there were any cheaper keyboards out there that are of similar or better quality. I really like the feel of the Apple Keyboard though, since I've been typing on a Powerbook/MacBook Pro for 3 years and am used to the thinner keys. Thanks!
iamwhor3hay

EndlessMac
Senior User
Sep 22, 2007, 12:57 AM

If you are just looking for laptop style keyboards for your desktop then there are some out there. The ones I know are about the same price as Apple's though except for the MacAlly IKEY5. I've never used this keyboard so I don't know how good it is.

I current own Kensington's SlimType keyboard which cost about $10 less than Apple's so it's not much of a savings. Like you I also prefer the feel of my PowerBook. The Kensington keyboard is nice but not as good to type on. I also got a chance to type on the MacBook's keyboard and I still think my PowerBook's keyboard is better. Apple's new slim keyboard is suppose to be similar to the MacBook's.

The problem I'm having with the MacBook's keyboard is that my fingers keep missing their placement because the keys are flat. There are no grooves for my fingers to slide into and I find that I'm a better touch typist with my PowerBook and Kensington keyboards. Of course this is all personal opinion so your results will vary.

Forum Links
Forum Rules