Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to rip home-made DVDs?

How to rip home-made DVDs?
MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 11:41 AM

Actually, if it is possible, is there anyway I can rip only parts of it out, like from a certain time to a certain time? The DVD is legally mine and I would just like to back up my own performances on a CD. Thanks for your help.
iamwhor3hay

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2007, 11:48 AM

You don't have to rip them. You can directly copy the .VOBs in the Finder. Then just edit them down using MPEG Streamclip (free) and MPEG2 Plug-in for Quicktime ($20).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Remxed
Oct 8, 2007, 12:13 PM

download handbrake and rip the whole thing into an .avi file and then use imovie to edit it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2007, 12:33 PM

I thought iMovie only allowed edits of non-compressed .DV files?

Check out MPEG Streamclip. It will allow you to extract the video from your DVD and recompress it in a variety of formats, or, extract as uncompressed .DV and use another program to transcode the video into another format.

I would not advise the MPEG2 Quicktime plug-in, I think it is a complete waste of money.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2007, 12:37 PM

MPEG Streamclip can't read MPEG2 without it, which means if you want to edit the .VOBs natively that's what you need.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
MPEG Streamclip can't read MPEG2 without it.
Hmmm... Forgot about that!

I was also thinking about Quicktime Pro for some reason... *That* is what I find to be a waste of money

I bet ffmpeg will allow conversion of MPEG2 without the Apple plug though.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2007, 12:46 PM

Sure you can convert it, but that takes extra time when you really want to be editing. There are other ways to find the plugin online, of course, but I bought it. It is kind of crappy that it doesn't support a common MP2 audio codec, which means I still have to use MPEG Streamclip to convert to .mov to be able to use it in FCE with recordings produced by my DVD recorder. Thankfully that conversion doesn't take that much time; it works well for me.

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 01:32 PM

does anyone know how MactheRipper works? I don't have the MPEG-2 codec, but if I must upload the entire disc, then I guess I will.
iamwhor3hay

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2007, 01:43 PM

MacTheRipper does two things:

1) Copies DVD files off of a disc onto your desktop
2) Strips Macrovision encryption from commercial DVDs

If you aren't copying an encrypted DVD, what MacTheRipper does is no different than simply dragging the DVD files to your Desktop.

The .VOB files on DVDs are MPEG-2 files. However, if you want them to fit onto a CD or for your entire DVD to be transferred into a single file, you will need to transcode the video into another format, and the software you use to do so will need to support the MPEG-2 format. Handbrake is an excellent option for doing this.

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2007, 02:08 PM

Handbrake is just what I was looking for. I was afraid I would need to upload the entire disk, but since each song is one chapter, I got to split them up and name them. Thank you very much guys!!
iamwhor3hay

chriswithpepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Remxed View Post
download handbrake and rip the whole thing into an .avi file and then use imovie to edit it.
This is the way I would have done it.

You can also use Quicktime 7 Pro to clip contents and export to different file formats without having to wait for iMovie to import your video file.

Pay $29.99 and have limited editing options, or wait (for the import) and use iMovie's functions.
Chris McCorkle • Happy iPhone Owner!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2007, 02:54 PM

iMovie only works with DV streams, unless something changed in the new version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules