Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buying a new MacBook Pro...what accessories?

Buying a new MacBook Pro...what accessories?
harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2008, 06:29 PM

Greetings Mac fans! I'm trying to get my sorry behind back into the Mac arena and will be buying a MacBook Pro very soon. Aside from the obvious accessories such as a mouse, backpack or case and possibly something to prop it up on my lap before bed time, what do you power users recommend?

I've had several laptops throughout the years, but I've been away from the world of Apple for a while now, and I know there are plenty of accessories that have been made specifically for Mac using folks. To summarize what I'll be doing with it: graphics via Photoshop, music management, iPhone synchronization, some possible web development and some CAD operations...

Thank you in advance for any nice tips you can provide me with!
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 9, 2008, 06:46 PM

I recommend using it a while and seeing where you use it and what you do with it before worrying about accessories beyond a case, a mouse and a stand.

I have an Incase sleeve that I put in my North Face backpack (which is itself a laptop pack). I found a tiny wired mouse that makes tons of sense for me (no brand either, sory), and I use a Targus X stand for desktop use-it doesn't lend itself to putting the laptop on my lap, but I just use the Incase on my lap first and it's nicely comfortable.

Cheers!

Oh, and WELCOME to the MacNN Forums!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

harbinger75  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2008, 08:31 PM

Thank you so much for your reply!

When I was deeply rooted in Macs a few years ago, I was here under the name "nigeljedi", but wanted a new username!

Anyway, I'm very excited about the upcoming purchase and I knew that if anybody could give me any hints towards some cool Mac-only accessories, you guys could!

the geek source

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2008, 08:51 PM

I would suggest waiting to buy a MacBook Pro until after the Macworld Expo in 5 days, where it might get a few upgrades.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

harbinger75  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2008, 11:45 PM

I would suggest waiting to buy a MacBook Pro until after the Macworld Expo in 5 days, where it might get a few upgrades.
That is precisely what I'm waiting for!

the geek source

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2008, 01:37 PM

Do you do digital image captures?

-Allen Wicks

harbinger75  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2008, 02:46 PM

Do you do digital image captures?

-Allen Wicks
Yes...tons of it, actually. Not only captures, but images created in Photoshop/Illustrator...
the geek source

jaydon34
Senior User
Jan 12, 2008, 11:06 PM

Here is a list of some stuff I owen for my mac
1. Griffin Elevator
2. Wacom Bamboo tablet
3. Marware Protect kit
4. Logitech bluetooth mouse
5. Westinghouse 22" lcd
6. Apple bluetooth keyboard

myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2008, 04:10 AM

Here's my list:

- Griffin Elevator
- HP LP3065. (30", 3 dual-link DVI inputs)
- 84-key Model M spacesaver
- Logitech Trackman Marble Wheel
- iPhone
- Lots of misc Ikea furniture.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 13, 2008, 10:53 AM

The Elevator is a great gadget-it raises the screen high enough to prevent neck strain. Very nice ergonomics.

Since my MBP is mobile all the time, I use the Targus X stand.

This picture is straight from Targus' site, but it's shown upside down! The round bits are on adjustable-length arms, so you can change the angle and support deeper or shallower computers, though I leave them at their shortest length. It isn't nearly as high as the Elevator, but it does put the keyboard of the MBP at a nice angle and raise the screen somewhat. I use it on standard table/desk height surfaces, and that makes it not too bad-about the equivalent of reading a full-sized hardback book.

harbinger75  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008, 02:29 PM

I really appreciate all the ideas everybody! I have been so used to getting peripherals and accessories for my Windows PC's that I didn't know what was considered "essential" anymore for Macs.

I was unhealthily entrenched in all things Apple/Mac related a few years ago (which was fine with me, actually) and I can safely say that I've been mostly disheartened since I had to switch back to Windows (2004-ish). Don't get me wrong, I've been able to keep up with work and my personal life fine with Win boxes, but my experience has been devoid of style and personal expression.

Anyway, now that I'm coming back, I just know that I'll begin to collect a ton of accessories, trying out what's new and exciting, but an informed start from those who have been watching the products is what I needed!
the geek source

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
Yes...tons of it, actually. Not only captures, but images created in Photoshop/Illustrator...
Then your needs should evolve around images handling.

• Large external hard drive(s) will be necessary fairly quickly. You want eSATA via EC/34 card or FW800, RAID and/or fast/SAS, and you need to address issues of an independent fast scratch drive for Adobe as well as on site and off site backup.

• You should learn and use an images management app like Aperture or Light Room. Currently I strongly prefer Aperture, but at Expo I will be further evaluating which app is better based on what is presented at Expo. The images management apps have backup protocol choices (e.g. Aperture's industry leading "Vault" concept) and that will affect your hard drives configuration.

Straight off, max out RAM via third party. I have had great success with OWC: Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jan 13, 2008 at 03:22 PM. )

SVass
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2008, 05:58 PM

I have an Apple keyboard ($25), a Kensington pocket mouse ($15), and a BenQ 241W Z display which has dvi, component, AND an HDMI port. I got the first two from Apple with my order. I agree on the external FW800 disk drive which can also be used as a spare boot drive in case of software problems. sam

harbinger75  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2008, 06:56 PM

Thank you fellas!

I was throwing around the idea of asking about what external storage solutions everybody was using, but I figured that might fall under the Hardware Components forum. In any event, thank you for those suggestions.

Sadly, I've gone quite a while without external storage and I've already paid the price, so I'm going to do this the right way very soon. Fortunately, I back up to DVD a lot. I was actually looking at external drives today while out and about, so I'm going to add that to my list on order day.
the geek source

jaydon34
Senior User
Jan 13, 2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by jaydon34 View Post
Here is a list of some stuff I owen for my mac
1. Griffin Elevator
2. Wacom Bamboo tablet
3. Marware Protect kit
4. Logitech bluetooth mouse
5. Westinghouse 22" lcd
6. Apple bluetooth keyboard

Sorry forgot somethings
7. Logitech freepulse bluetooth headphones
8. Western Digital Passport 160gb hard drive

The hard drive is great for using as a time machine backup. I also have mine partition as a leopard install disc as well. Not that I ever had a problem with a Mac install but sometimes I get bored at relatives/in-laws and deem it time for a full clean install.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 13, 2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by jaydon34 View Post
...and an XBox 360 controller with a QWERTY keyboard too! My thumbs are way too big for that puppy.

jaydon34
Senior User
Jan 13, 2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
...and an XBox 360 controller with a QWERTY keyboard too! My thumbs are way too big for that puppy.
Well that comes in handy when I feel the need to be unproductive for hours on end. Fun but definitely not necessary.

Forum Links
Forum Rules