Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Clean reinstall of Leopard, what can I do with Time Machine backups, etc?

Clean reinstall of Leopard, what can I do with Time Machine backups, etc?
MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2008, 06:22 PM

Well, I finally have some time to do a clean reinstall of Leopard, hoping it will help me fix my networking problems. I have everything backed up with Time Machine, and I have a bootable clone of Tiger in case everything goes wrong. I don't think I want to completely restore from Time Machine, although that might be easier than manually reinstalling everything. How would I go about restoring from a Time Machine backup? and a couple of other random questions:

1. What will happen to my iPhone? Can I use a Time Machine backup of iTunes' backup of the iPhone?
2. What will happen with the previous Time Machine backups? Will they get replaced as Time Machine backs up or will Time Machine just add on to what's there?
3. (application question) Can you drag and drop Adium logs from the Time Machine backup and have them be read on Adium?
4. Does clean install erase my Boot Camp XP partition as well? I think I'm still running the beta version. if so, what can I do about backing up a Windows partition? Can I do a live partitioning of my external to another drive format? (From HFS+ to

Thanks!
iamwhor3hay

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2008, 12:58 AM

I would love to hear what the answer is to #2....

Sorry I just dont understand time machine.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2008, 05:18 PM

Time Machine will just add on, though you will notice that in the preference panel, it will show the backups as starting the day you re-installed.At least this is what happened with me.

It stored my first round of backups in a folder called "iMac" inside backups.db, but then after the reinstall started backing up to iMac2

Forum Links
Forum Rules