Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Recruitment Contest Thread (Win more crunching power!)

Recruitment Contest Thread (Win more crunching power!)
The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2002, 03:20 AM

Rules are as follows:

First, find a person who is not currently a member of Team MacNN.

Next, talk to them, buy them drinks, flirt, beg, cry... Do whatever is necessary to get them to join Team MacNN (for any one of our three distributing projects).

Once this person joins the team and starts crunching, get them to personally post in this thread.

They should post the following information:
(1) The name of whoever got them to join
(2) The project(s) they are running
(3) The account name(s) they are running under

It is not good enough that they just join the team. They must remain active. Thus, for every new (and active) person that joins, the Team MacNN member who convinced them to join will gain 1 point. When the contest has finished running, each person will get to put their name in a hat (once for each point he/she has).

The name that is drawn out of the hat wins the use of Scotttheking's 1.47 GHz Athalon for exactly one week. This means that for 168 hours, Scott's Athalon will crunch for whatever project the winner desires under that person's account.

This contest will begin when reader50 and Scott say it will. It will carry on for a specific amount of time to be decided upon by the aforementioned parties.

Crunch Something

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2002, 04:04 PM

-installing SETI on my Dad's unused Pismo 400-

I'll ask him for permission sometime later. At the moment it is under my name, should I make a new account for him or can I get these to go to my account?
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

The_Equivocator  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2002, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
<STRONG>-installing SETI on my Dad's unused Pismo 400-

I'll ask him for permission sometime later. At the moment it is under my name, should I make a new account for him or can I get these to go to my account?</STRONG>
The point of the contest isn't to find more computers for yourself. The point is to introduce new members to the team. Hence, if you can convince your dad to actually become a team member, crunch for us, post on our message board, and become an overall contributing member of the team, then it will count.

Crunch Something

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2002, 06:26 PM

Rats. No chance he'll be interested in participating in the forum. (s)
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

The_Equivocator  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2002, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
<STRONG>Rats. No chance he'll be interested in participating in the forum. (s)</STRONG>
Well, actively participating in the forums is probably the least important part. The most important thing is getting this person interested in distributed computing and loyal to Team MacNN.

Scott and reader, any ideas/thoughts on the contest?

Crunch Something

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 19, 2002, 07:48 PM

It dead already??
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

The_Equivocator  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2002, 04:33 AM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
<STRONG>It dead already??</STRONG>
I dunno... it doesn't seem like anyone is up to the challenge...

Crunch Something

Forum Links
Forum Rules