Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacFanatic sees that Apple is screwed

MacFanatic sees that Apple is screwed
trumptman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2001, 12:33 AM

I have been a Mac user for over a decade. I know their marketshare has never been great. However I don't know if it has ever been this low.

I am glad Apple beat the street. Posted $41 million dollars of profit and beat all the estimates. However has anyone looked that the marketshare numbers? A little algebra allows you to figure out what the total market was and Apple's share of that market.

I was reading an article about Dell becoming the number 1 PC vender at CBSMarketwatch.com. In that article they said Dell had 13.1 of the market having sold 4.15 million computers.

A little figuring shows that worldwide computer sales were 31.67 million computers. Apple sold 751,000 machines last quarter. That makes their marketshare 2.4

I know Mac are used better, longer, etc, etc... but this can't be good for the future.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2001, 12:58 AM

and your point is...?
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Not_Dark_Yet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2001, 07:27 AM

and your point is...?
Maybe his point is that Steve ought to start giving a decent after sales service. As you are aware, Apple has a terrible reputation in that department. It's not as if prospective punters don't know or won't find out about it, no?

Also, stuff like the recent Firmware Update debacle doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Let's face it, Apple has been pissing on it's loyal customer base for a long time. If we weren't as loyal as we are, Apple would have sunk already.

------------------
In the landscape of Spring, there is neither better nor worse. The flowering branches grow naturally, some long, some short. - ZEN SAYING
People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed.

BOB DYLAN - "Things Have Changed"

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 23, 2001, 10:09 AM

Apple has always been a great company for ignoring the needs of it's consumers to feed the ego of one man. If Apple checked the message boards, and I'm sure they must (they would have to be stupid to not take advantage of all that free market research), then they, as a company, would know that we have not been satisfied with the revisions we have received. How long have we been asking for CD-RW and better graphics cards? How about bigger monitors in the iMac? Innovation does not come in the from of new colors. And that's what we get. "Well, there was no significant speed bump, you need a third party burner, and you are still getting 64 megs of ram, but look at the pretty new COLOR!" Come on. We can't get an Apple PDA because Steve said NO. Do you really think the Mac faithful wouldn't be flocking all over that product?

As a consumer, I like to think I know what I want to spend my money on. And even if I don't, as long as I'm willing to buy products I don't need, well, it's my freakin' money, and I'm still giving it to them. I'll even buy upgrades and programs I don't need. Apple needs to start listening if it wants to regain market share and hold on to it's faithful users...

------------------
-Carpe Jugulum
Nemo me impune lacesset

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2001, 01:18 PM

True: Apple has way more control over it's products than any other PC maker. For good and for bad.

False: People can influence other computer makers as effectively as Mac users can influence Apple. As in the interface change from OS X beta and OS X final!

------------------
It's a crazy world you humans live in...
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Apr 23, 2001, 03:46 PM

dell machines are boxy and ugly. Totally unoriginal, apple is innovative, dell is immitative.

Apple has always been a great company for ignoring the needs of it's consumers to feed the ego of one man.
totally aggree with you there.
if apple listened to half of the stuff consumers demand they would totally control the market.

------------------
when all else fails, read the instructions.
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2001, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by mikithecrackhead:
if apple listened to half of the stuff consumers demand they would totally control the market.
LOL! What part of the market? Surely you don't mean the WHOLE market!?! <sarcasm> Cuz I'm really sure Macs work everywhere. </sarcasm>

And anyways, Apple will NEVER be able to control anything as long as all its products are expensive (even if they're high-quality....people care more about price). Plus a PC can be thrown together with spare parts to do a simple job (Case + motherboard + Processor + Harddrive + NIC = server). Apple doesn't have anything to match that.

Even is Apple had perfect customer service, it would still have a tiny overall marketshare.

------------------

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2001, 04:21 PM

It is sad, isn't it? But there are a few ways to break it down differently to put a more optimistic spin on it. Dell says tons to big corporations - "every cubicle gets a Dell." Apple sells almost none there. Apple has a much larger market share of creative pros - designers, artists, et al. I'd bet that their market share is a lot higher for home users, too. Such a large percent of Dell's market are those big faceless corps that they sell package deals of a million computers.

There's also the issue of quarterly sales vs. installed user base. Apple has been around for a long time, and there are lots of Macs out there already. Companies like Dell & Compaq have been around a while, too, but there are many fly-by-night PC companies that sell machines for a couple years and then leave. I'd bet Apple's installed base of Macs is a quite a bit higher than 2%. And Mac users have higher brand loyalty then other PC users.

Not_Dark_Yet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2001, 06:25 AM

and there are lots of Macs out there already.
Yeah, about 2.4%. Not a lot is it?

------------------
In the landscape of Spring, there is neither better nor worse. The flowering branches grow naturally, some long, some short. - ZEN SAYING
People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed.

BOB DYLAN - "Things Have Changed"

Cipher13
Apr 24, 2001, 07:42 AM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
Apple has always been a great company for ignoring the needs of it's consumers to feed the ego of one man. If Apple checked the message boards, and I'm sure they must (they would have to be stupid to not take advantage of all that free market research), then they, as a company, would know that we have not been satisfied with the revisions we have received. How long have we been asking for CD-RW and better graphics cards? How about bigger monitors in the iMac? Innovation does not come in the from of new colors. And that's what we get. "Well, there was no significant speed bump, you need a third party burner, and you are still getting 64 megs of ram, but look at the pretty new COLOR!" Come on. We can't get an Apple PDA because Steve said NO. Do you really think the Mac faithful wouldn't be flocking all over that product?

As a consumer, I like to think I know what I want to spend my money on. And even if I don't, as long as I'm willing to buy products I don't need, well, it's my freakin' money, and I'm still giving it to them. I'll even buy upgrades and programs I don't need. Apple needs to start listening if it wants to regain market share and hold on to it's faithful users...
At last someone who has the same sentiments as me on this issue.

To put it bluntly, Steve Jobs runs Apple no questions asked. And what does he do? He makes products for HIMSELF, and just happens to mass produce them!
OSX is pretty because thats how he wants it. He wants a pretty OS. We want options. But HE wants a pretty OS! So everybody must! For His is surely the word of God, is it not?

Why don't the iMacs have a 17" screen?

He doesn't need it, so nobody does. Same reason theres no 21" CRT anymore.

He doesn't care about Apple, the fans, the customers, or anything but what he wants. He's only back at Apple to see his little pet project, OSX, fly.
He came back to exploit the name of the Macintosh, its reputation, for NeXT to get it popular.

*sigh*

Apple will die under Jobs because he is not customer oriented in any way.
Of that, I have no doubt.
And if you want to argue that Apple DOES care for its customers - then its only for PROSPECTIVE customers. If you've already given them cash, then you don't matter.
If you are in a situation where you may give them cash (a prospective buyer) - then you may matter.

They mustn't understand that customers coming back is a big thing... and at the rate they're going, a lot of people aren't gonna be coming back.

Hm... is that on topic?

------------------

HAL9000
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2001, 08:42 AM

AGREED.

------------------
Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.
Without your space helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2001, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by mr_sonicblue:

And anyways, Apple will NEVER be able to control anything as long as all its products are expensive (even if they're high-quality....people care more about price). Plus a PC can be thrown together with spare parts to do a simple job (Case + motherboard + Processor + Harddrive + NIC = server). Apple doesn't have anything to match that.

Price is Part of the Problem as well. People look at price and they end up buying sh&t. In the computer Market you really do get what you pay for. Unless you build your own PC. You can get a e-machine for 499 but it is the biggest piece of junk on the market, or you can buy an iMac for 799 and get a machine that is leaps and bounds over the e-machine. So you are right Apple will never be able to control anything as long as it's products are more expensive. Would you buy the 499 e-machine?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2001, 11:45 AM

yeah, I'd buy the eMachine.

and I'd buy another one next year.

and another one next the year.

because next year the $500 low-end computer will be twice as fast as today's $500 low-end computer.

There's a good reason why people don't want expensive high-quality computers...because they're a bad investment. After 2 years, a computer is OLD. Better to have spent $500 than $2500.

*empty space*

Sol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2001, 12:16 PM

He doesn't care about Apple, the fans, the customers, or anything but what he wants.
It's a good thing he doen't care about the fans, otherwise he'd never have gotten tall that stuff into the Cube. Ha ha! "Fans"... eh.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2001, 12:22 PM

Do your homework, folks. Apple's share of installed machines is 16% - that's right, 16% of all computers in use in the U.S. are Macs.

As for yearly sales figure? They go up, they go down, they change from year to year. It is very difficult to get accurate numbers, as two dfifferent reporting agencies will give you different numbers. I've seen lows of 2% and highs of 10%, so I usually split the difference and guess around 5 to 6%.

Yet another topic that's been beat to death. Yes, Apple doesn't have much marketshare compared to Dell, but the never have and they never will. Be that as it may, Apple's not going anywhere.

Is this flog a dead horse week? Did I miss a memo?
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2001, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by trumptman:
A little figuring shows that worldwide computer sales were 31.67 million computers. Apple sold 751,000 machines last quarter. That makes their marketshare 2.4
i dont know where your getting your numbers from but apple has a worldwide market share of 4.something, still not alot but not 2.4

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2001, 01:13 PM

One factor that skews the stats and projections:

Owners of multiple Macs - I've got four - a friend has three - another friend has two.

WDL

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Apr 24, 2001, 01:17 PM

could've been 2.4 last quarter. while that's important (in that it influences future installed user base share), so is current user base share, which is higher for Apple (little under 5%, I believe).
User base is tough to measure. I, for example, have been issued probably 5 PC's over the last 5 years at work. I rarely use them, preferring my Macs. I've bought three Macs over the same time span.
Is my personal "user base" = 37.5% Mac/62.5% PC? No. If you look at hours used it's probably 90-10 Mac. If you look at pages surfed it's 90-10 Mac.
My point is that without a lot more data - which machines add to the pool of used machines, which are replacements, how many people use both platforms, etc, you really begin to lose any meaning in this kind of published data.

[This message has been edited by Colonel Panic (edited 04-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Colonel Panic (edited 04-24-2001).]

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Apr 24, 2001, 01:42 PM

Jesus how many times will this stupid inane topic rear it's fugly head?!?

Apple Makes Macs that's one (1) company, in a market all it's own.

How many companies make IBM clones? 500? 1000?

They're two completely different things!!!!!

You don't compare orange juice to soda. Juice and soda are two completely different things. Only morons bunch them into the "beverage" category.

Jeesh, when will people wake the F up?!?

Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeM32 (edited 04-24-2001).]

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2001, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
Jesus how many times will this strupid inane topic rear it's fugly head?!?

Apple Makes Macs that's one (1) company

How many companies make IBM clones? 500? 1000?

Jeesh, when will people wake the F up?!?

Mike
After a while you begin to see that the same topics come up over and over and over. . . That's why I haven't been around much of late.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2001, 02:38 PM

"Do your homework, folks. Apple's share of installed machines is 16% - that's right, 16% of all computers in use in the U.S. are Macs."

I did my homework. I can't find anything to back up your claim. My experience is that maybe 1 in 20 people have an Apple computer.

16% ? no way.
*empty space*

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2001, 02:38 PM

Apple's not going out of business, period. Worse case scenario they become like Silicon Graphics are will be specialized machines for doing specific work like video and audio.

They're allready the #1 selling computer in the professional area (i.e. Law, the Arts, video, audio, medical, science) but in business and home PCs hold their place.

I think Apple has the right idea of having a basic product matrix, but I think they need to add one more CRUCIAL part in their products to gain marketshare.

BUSINESS

They need a REAL server and REAL client machines. Macs in standard ATX cases and rackable brackets. Smack those puppies with 4 and 8 processors running MacOS X Server. Make super cheap workstations via their Netboot. They have the PERFECT technology but aren't doing a damn thing about it.

Screw Dell and their "predictions" that they have taken Apple in the education market. Apple's in a VERY respectable #2 spot. That's more than Gateway, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Acer, etc. can say.

Apple has great consumer products for the home. The cheap iMac, the more powerful PowerMac, and the iBooks and PowerBook. They just need to get their foot in the door of business and maybe bring their prices down on their higher end consumer Macs.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2001, 02:48 PM

I bet there are more Apples than e-Machines, or Acers, hell, even Gateways (seperately) and i bet e-Machines and the others market share is below Apple's, does that mean that their going out of business(The PC companies) that is)......no.

Stop with the Apple doom and gloom, so Jobs is a control freak..who cares. Apple still makes the best product for the money period.

Want proof? Give up your Apples folks and go use a Compaq for a couple of months (yes even one of those "super-fast" 900MHz Pentium 3s) and lets see if you think you really got a good deal on that PC..

------------------

[This message has been edited by sek929 (edited 04-24-2001).]

Raman
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2001, 03:16 PM

So what's your point? Does Apple's market share, or lack thereof, influence you using your Mac on a day-to-day basis? If so then why don't the complainers just switch to DELL? That way you can come back and say that the PeeCee has 95+% market share.

How much market share does BMW have? How much does Mercedes have? Now, how much does Chevy or Ford have? Which would you RATHER drive? Thought so.

I feel that most of the fanatics here use the best tools for the job. You use a Mac because you know it's better. You're smart enough to switch if you really wanted to. You use a PC if your work requires it and if the PC does it better. Admit it. I wouldn't but a New Mac to sit in the corner or closet to be a router/DHCP, and neither would you - both of us would probably use an old mac or better yet, Linux and forget about it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2001, 09:44 PM

Hey, Beethoven has a much lower market share than Britney Spears.

------------------
"Mac users enjoy a love-hate relationship with Microsoft--in which love is defined as "resigned tolerance" and hate as "lava-hot rancor fueled by the fire of a thousand burning suns."
-Macworld

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2001, 05:08 AM

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ThinkInsane:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes you are right.
but remember that 3years ago a trendy colored mac saved Apple from going under , because a lot of people want a computer in there favorite color.
and for the majority of people the current imac is as fast if not faster than a crapy windows machine.
just my 2c worth.
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2001, 06:10 AM

Last time I checked Apple sold Macintoshes, not PCs. As far as I'm aware, Apple has a 100% of the market share for Macs.

VRL
Senior User
Apr 25, 2001, 08:01 AM

Here's some "industry gossip" for you: Dell computer delivered "large numbers" of computers to at least one Army installation in Germany recently. We're talking tens of thousands of dollars of your tax dollars spent on Dells. This happens every year or two (according to people I've spoken to) - a complete "upgrade" of computers on military installations. This is true not just in offices, but in the schools as well. I wonder how much of Dell's so-called market share is boosted by this? And for that matter, how much is MS gaining from all this? These are the stats I want to see.

What's the point? I believe it's quite possible that the purchases of computers within the government/military (using our tax dollars) is boosting Dell/PC manufacturers market share; perhaps even keeping them in business.

How I wish Apple would take notice of this!
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Forum Links
Forum Rules