Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Netscape X 7.0

Netscape X 7.0
The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2002, 10:59 AM

Preview Release 1 was just put up on versiontracker. I haven't had a chance to try it out as I am downloading it now.

Post your impressions here!

Crunch Something

SkullMacPN
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by The_Equivocator:
<STRONG>Preview Release 1 was just put up on versiontracker. I haven't had a chance to try it out as I am downloading it now.

Post your impressions here!</STRONG>
Well...

Uses aqua (its not hard-coded either... themes affect the gui).
Live window resizing.

Other than that, I haven't played with it much. I believe the things I listed are improvements over Netscape 6.

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2002, 11:18 AM

<STRONG>Preview Release 1 was just put up on versiontracker. I haven't had a chance to try it out as I am downloading it now.

Post your impressions here!</STRONG>
Only real question is, does it really contain RealPlayer 8 for OS X? Kinda unlikely...

The_Equivocator  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2002, 11:26 AM

Hmmm... I know it's a preview release, but anything that takes up 60% of my CPU when idle is a bad thing...

Crunch Something

Rex
Forum Regular
May 22, 2002, 11:51 AM

<STRONG>Hmmm... I know it's a preview release, but anything that takes up 60% of my CPU when idle is a bad thing...</STRONG>
It doesn't here. Actually works pretty well.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
May 22, 2002, 12:02 PM

Who knows which Moz build it's based on?

1.0 RC1? 1.0 RC2?
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

timmerk
Mac Elite
May 22, 2002, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
<STRONG>Who knows which Moz build it's based on?

1.0 RC1? 1.0 RC2? </STRONG>
All I know is that the Windows version of Netscape says this in the about page:

Netscape 7.0 Preview Release 1
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.0rc2) Gecko/20020512 Netscape/7.0b1

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 22, 2002, 12:32 PM

Is the Dock icon still the same ugly square 'N' or is it more in compliance with the guidelines?

P
May 22, 2002, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Kristoff:
<STRONG>Who knows which Moz build it's based on?

1.0 RC1? 1.0 RC2? </STRONG>
1.0rc2, or so I heard.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Hash
Mac Elite
May 22, 2002, 02:24 PM

It rocks!!!!

zythemac
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2002, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
<STRONG>Is the Dock icon still the same ugly square 'N' or is it more in compliance with the guidelines?</STRONG>
Yes, but I must say this is way better than any previous version. Not quite as pretty as Omniweb, but it works really well.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
May 22, 2002, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by P:
<STRONG>

1.0rc2, or so I heard.</STRONG>
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.0rc2) Gecko/20020512 Netscape/7.0b1

There ya go.

Cellery
Mac Elite
May 22, 2002, 04:57 PM

It's running really well on my TiBook 667, strangely it's noticeably faster in scrolling and responsiveness than Mozilla. Good stuff.

[ 05-22-2002: Message edited by: Cellery ]

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2002, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Cellery:
<STRONG>It's running really well on my TiBook 667, strangely it's noticeably faster in scrolling and responsiveness than Mozilla. Good stuff.
</STRONG>
Why do I doubt this? I'll have to try it myself. As far as I'm concerned, Netscape is just old Mozilla's.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
May 22, 2002, 06:00 PM

just tested the built-in ICQ and it ran like a slug on my 466 iBook. type away, then wait for the letters to catch up one screen. the whole thing seemed pretty slow to me.

wait, maybe it was the square icon...
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2002, 09:15 PM

Yuk. This is the reason why I use Chimera (unfinished as it is) - bloated, ugly interface with unnecessary features and asking for my 'membership'.

Why is this called 7.0 anyways? What's so great about this that Mozilla hasn't got?

Bring on the next Chimera build... hell, I'd pay for that instead of OmniWeb!
Computer thez nohhh...

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2002, 11:48 PM

well. the tabbed browsing thing is cool, but the speed of this thing is horrendous. even as im typing this it seems really slow to catch up. ohwell. i want to like a browser besides IE. i REALLY do. dammit.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2002, 12:15 AM

<STRONG>Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.0rc2) Gecko/20020512 Netscape/7.0b1

There ya go.</STRONG>
In other words, the Gecko source of this build was current on May 12th. In other words, this was most likely based on Mozilla RC2.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
May 23, 2002, 12:33 AM

Hum
guess i'll stick with Mozilla 2 for right now :-(

Cellery
Mac Elite
May 23, 2002, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
<STRONG>

Why do I doubt this? I'll have to try it myself. As far as I'm concerned, Netscape is just old Mozilla's.</STRONG>
As noted by others, this Netscape release is using Mozilla RC2 under the hood. The fact that I had Mozilla RC1 running on my machine might account for the performance difference I noticed, or I'm lying about Netscape's increased snappiness because I looooove Netscape.

supernature
Forum Regular
May 23, 2002, 01:53 AM

Great browser. Only thing is that it has trouble with Apple's Developer's site. When i try to login, it takes an eternity to load. Not sure what it is. Mozilla's latest version also does the same thing as well.

But otherwise, it's a good solid version of the Mozilla browser. And one of the fastest browser too. I think this has mainly to do with the fact that it renders most of the page before displaying it, so most of the CPU is used to render the page first than rendering it for display.

Instant Messaging works well too.

Giano
Forum Regular
May 23, 2002, 08:57 AM

I don't like those all in one browser like Netscape & Mozilla....i don't need Icq,mail,newsgroup ecc.......all in one application, those extras make the app slow down.....this is why i love the young chimera and Omni...and this is why...at the end.....i use sometimes IE....

JLL
Professional Poster
May 23, 2002, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>
In other words, the Gecko source of this build was current on May 12th. In other words, this was most likely based on Mozilla RC2.</STRONG>
Not most likely - look one more time:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.0rc2) Gecko/20020512 Netscape/7.0b1

JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

x user
Mac Elite
May 23, 2002, 02:40 PM

Yep. Saw that too. If you've used Mozilla, you'd know that all it has is browsing and e-mail, Netscape adds the IMing for their. BTW isn't Chimera based off mozilla?

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
May 23, 2002, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by x user:
<STRONG>BTW isn't Chimera based off mozilla?</STRONG>

yes

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2002, 03:06 PM

Could somebody post some screen shots? I am interested in seeing the new IM client, the browser itself, and possibly the mail clieny...

I wouldn't mind giving Netscape 7 a shot, but I am just worried that even if I delete Mozilla before I install, Netscape will have problems converting my Mozilla preferences, and then eventually become corrupted, like it has before.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2002, 04:48 PM

I personally like the nightly builds of Mozilla better. Just as stable, and faster rendering (at least on my B&W G3). It's a noticable increase in rendering. I am just hoping some Mac geek can go into the code and show Mozilla how to optimize that window code to make new windows generate a bit quicker.

Chimera is a bit to primitive for me (right now). Will keep an eye on it though.

kovacs
Mac Elite
May 23, 2002, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
<STRONG>Could somebody post some screen shots? I am interested in seeing the new IM client, the browser itself, and possibly the mail clieny...

I wouldn't mind giving Netscape 7 a shot, but I am just worried that even if I delete Mozilla before I install, Netscape will have problems converting my Mozilla preferences, and then eventually become corrupted, like it has before.</STRONG>
I haven't noticed any GUI changes, looks like mozilla or netscape 6. Still the same ugly icon.

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 23, 2002, 05:37 PM

<STRONG>Is the Dock icon still the same ugly square 'N' or is it more in compliance with the guidelines?</STRONG>
There are guidelines for Icons??? Where would I see those? I agree the icon's not pretty, but it looks a lot better if you change the hue to purple or green instead of that sickening blue.

Originally posted by SkullMacPN:
<STRONG>Uses aqua (its not hard-coded either... themes affect the gui).
Live window resizing. </STRONG>
I don't see any Aqua gui? Where are you seeing this? The scrollbars sure aren't. And Netscape 6 has live window resizing on my computer. I don't use Netscape that much, but I don't see ANY difference between NS6 and NS7.

I sure wish someone could port Netscape 4.7 over to OSX. Now that was a great browser. What is so hard about that? The best OSX browser, IE (wow, it almost killed me to say that) is just a quick port isn't it?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Spirit_VW
Senior User
May 23, 2002, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by John Tewksbury:
<STRONG>There are guidelines for Icons??? Where would I see those?</STRONG>
In the Aqua Human Interface Guidelines, on the ADC site (I think) and included with the Dev tools. It talks about icon meaning, differences between doc-based, tool, object, and utility app icons, explains icon perspectives (App icons should appear to be sitting on a desk in front of you, with matching perspective - utility icons should appear on a screen in front of you and have similar perspective, etc. etc. etc.), use of transparency in icons, icon families, conveying emotion through icons, tips for designing Aqua icons, etc. etc. Lots of icon stuff in there.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2002, 02:42 AM

Definately faster than ie for scrolling and rendering pages, handles java way better. Almost as good as Omniweb, good enough for me to use on a daily basis on my trusty g4/450/1.1g

[ 05-24-2002: Message edited by: jock ]

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2002, 03:54 AM

Seems pretty quick to me. Can't see any real speed difference between this and Mozzila RC2. Speed of loading pages is the most important thing to me as i'm still on dial-up. This time of day in the UK (9am) is when browsers start slowing down as more peeps go online so the next couple of hours will be the real test!
KRO
Ali P

Forum Links
Forum Rules