Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Fitbit products removed from online Apple store

Fitbit products removed from online Apple store
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 7, 2014, 11:51 AM

Apple has pulled all Fitbit products from its online store, shoppers note. The change was made without explanation, although last month sources indicated it might happen. Inventory of Fitbit devices at the store began to run low during the past week.

One possible explanation is Fitbit's stance on HealthKit, a tracking platform built into iOS 8. Fitbit has stated that it has no plans to support the platform, and that it's "working on other exciting projects that we think will be valuable to users." Apple may also be concerned about Fitbit's popularity as it prepares to sell the Apple Watch, which will have its own fitness tracking functions. Fitbit recently announced the Surge, which may more directly compete with the Apple Watch and even has GPS tracking that works independently of a smartphone.

Apple is continuing to sell other trackers from the likes of Jawbone, but that company is backing HealthKit. The decision to exclude Fitbit follows the removal of Bose products, presumably because of competition with Beats products, and conflicts over legal matters and NFL sponsorship.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Nov 7, 2014 at 12:39 PM. )

FireWire
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2014, 06:25 PM

that's one thing I don't like about Apple.. I admire companies/people that can tolerate critics and competition, but apple is acting like @ssholes.. "I don't like this author, let's ban all his books" "a company makes a similar product, let's ban them" "someone offers an alternative to safari on iOS, let's ban them"...

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2014, 10:57 AM

But it's plenty justified in this case. This is the APPLE store we're talking about. Not Target or WalMart. Apple has every right to choose which, if any, 3rd party products they want to promote. It's my understanding that Fitbit chose to NOT make their new hardware compatible with HealthKit, thus eliminating any reason Apple had for promoting their hardware in the first place.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2014, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
that's one thing I don't like about Apple.. I admire companies/people that can tolerate critics and competition, but apple is acting like @ssholes.. "I don't like this author, let's ban all his books" "a company makes a similar product, let's ban them" "someone offers an alternative to safari on iOS, let's ban them"...
What planet do you live on where manufacturers are expected to sell incompatible or even competitors' products IN THEIR OWN STORES?

"I love GAP, but I hate it when they act like assholes and ban Prada products from their stores."

FWIW, alternative browsers are allowed on iOS and have been for many years.

Forum Links
Forum Rules