Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Piper Jaffray, Morgan Stanley, others raise AAPL targets

Piper Jaffray, Morgan Stanley, others raise AAPL targets
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 21, 2014, 03:21 AM

Two leading investment and analysis firms have joined with others in raising AAPL target prices recently, in part because the stock has already outperformed most expectations on its most recent bull run. Longtime Apple analyst Gene Munster from Piper Jaffray has raised his target from $120 to $135 on the strength of iPhone 6 demand, while Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty raised her view to $126 per share from the previous $115, which the stock has already surpassed. The two join a growing list of AAPL bulls.

AAPL over the last month
AAPL over the last month

Munster polled some 80 Apple retail stores and found that while 58 percent of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models were now available (up from six percent immediately after the launch), this was far short of meeting demand for all models. As noted in our earlier story, online Apple Store availability of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are also still constrained, with ship times being shorter for the 16GB model but longer in the larger capacities -- up to 3-4 weeks in the case of the 128GB iPhone 6 Plus.

Full availability of all models probably won't happen until the end of December at the earliest, Munster predicted, with some constraints likely to be in place until spring. While Piper Jaffray and some other analysts, like UBS' Steven Milunovich and Evercore Partners, expect strong iPhone 6 demand to fuel growth, some investment firms -- including RBC Capital Markets -- have predicted that the forthcoming Apple Watch will do modestly well in its first year, providing $10 billion in new revenue during its first full year of availability.

Huberty's official prediction of $126 for AAPL could extend to as high as $150 in her "bull case" scenario, reports AppleInsider, due to a general underestimation of how well the Apple Watch might do. Huberty, like some other analysts, think the Apple Watch could turn out to be a sleeper hit for the company in much the same way the original iPad surprised analysts.

Due to the overall growth of the wearables market, she think Apple could sell as many as 30 million Apple Watches -- which are reckoned to have an average selling price of $520 or more across the different models -- in the first full year. While others aim for a more modest 10 million units, the overall message of the optimism is that Apple has succeeded in creating a new revenue stream. Even if the Apple Watch starts off modestly, analysts believe the product will gain steam over time, just as the iPod and iPad did.

Currently, the five investment firms that have raised AAPL price targets over the last month are Evercore Partners (now aiming for $135 per share), Morgan Stanley ($126), Piper Jaffray ($135), RBC ($120) and UBS ($125). The stock looks to close the week at another record high on Friday, following its breaking of all AAPL all-time records for both share price and market cap last Friday.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2014, 03:45 AM

Dammit! don't tell me I'm gonna have wasted TWO opportunities to get rich with apple stock in my lifetime...

climacs
Senior User
Nov 21, 2014, 10:34 AM

I bought 150 Apple lottery tickets in 2001 at a split-adjusted price of about $1.40... added 80 more during the market crash in 2009. I have only two regrets. One is that I didn't plow $10K into AAPL in 2001 rather than approx $3K. I'd be a millionaire now plus those nice dividends. The second regret is that I didn't have the foresight or crystal ball to sell it all at $700 two years ago so that I could buy back in when it crashed to $400... but no I am not complaining! I still made out quite nicely.

climacs
Senior User
Nov 21, 2014, 10:42 AM

This appears to be the beginning of a long upward run for AAPL. The market has realized that there really is life after Jobs for Apple and that Cook knows what he is doing. The only question is how well will Apple Pay and Apple Watch do. Will they be merely successful or will they be game-changing successful? I think the market is already pricing in 'merely successful'. Apple will continue to buy back shares which lifts prices and has committed to bumping up the dividend on a regular basis. Even Mac sales continue to rise in the "post-PC era". It is also claiming the vast majority of the profits in the smartphone business; even Samsung is not making all that much money on its Android handsets, and everyone else is losing money on them. That does not mean Android is going away or that Android users are going to all come over to iOS anytime soon, but it is certainly a positive sign for Apple's critical iPhone business. Apple has the highly profitable high end virtually all to itself, and everyone else is left to fight over the scraps of commoditized Android smartphones in a race to the bottom. At the risk of falling victim to "irrational exuberance", this company really has a lot of positive momentum and the only question is how high can it go.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2014, 11:04 PM

If any company is going to get to be the first trillion-dollar market cap company, it's likely to be Apple. When that will happen however, is "not anytime soon," methinks. It took 40 years for it to get two-thirds of the way there ... but I will say that I think we'll see a doubling of last summer's ~$90 post-split price in the next few years.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Forum Links
Forum Rules