Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The new normal: border security

The new normal: border security (Page 2)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
From watching the news videos, it look like most of the "refugees" are not families, but young males in their 20's. 1% of those could wreak havoc when called upon.
What would be an acceptable percentage?

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2015, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Americans are a bundle of contradictions...and it's "only" $8 billion a year. :roll eyes:
Yeah that freedom of speech thing and diversity in perspective, it's a bitch

I think that though people bitch about the particulars of the the way the TSA handles things like what you can have in your carry on, the nudey scanners, rent-a-cop groping etc., they still feel like the purpose of the TSA is a good and necessary one so it's easy to just let it go.
The TSA is mostly security theatre, and it's just matter of time before it's tragically exposed as such (moreso than it has been). The real security comes from the Air Marshalls and passengers themselves. Aside from screening checked luggage for bombs, the rest is really just for show.

The price tag in the context of a federal budget that literally throws away hundreds upon hundreds of billions (or more) on waste, corruption, and things that they have no business spending money on, $8b is hardly a big deal...if one believes in the purpose of the TSA. Likewise, if you are such a person, limiting your carry on items and standing in front of a scanner isn't really a big deal is it? I mean, gotta get those terr'ists, right?
I'm with ya here. I'd really like us to quit throwing away the hundreds of billions in waste, corruption and fraud but someones got to pay the dependency class.

I personally oppose the TSA in principle (shocker), but you didn't ask about that.
I don't doubt we need security, but the TSA is 95% theatre and 5% "security". Just look at who we hire as TSA agents, and that really should tell you everything you ought to know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules