Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > A DTP's view of Keynote

A DTP's view of Keynote
calverson
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2008, 08:03 AM

Alright, so the BIG BOSS asked me to make him a presentation that shows a very large comparison of statistics for an office, over a 10 year period, replete with photographs, graphs, charts, etc.

So, I whipped out Keynote, and got started. About 3 days and a lot of coffee later, I looked at what I had done, and I was happy.

It was at that point he told me two things:

1. What I have done was very good, but it needs to be much bigger (!)
2. It needs to be printed on 11x17 paper

Sh*t, I thought I would have to start from scratch and do it in InDesign because it has to be printed off.

I then printed off the slideshow that I had already done, on 11x17 paper, just to see the results, and, low and behold, the pix were not to pixelated, and all the text and line-art (there was a lot of this) was all vector, so it came through perfectly, as well as the graphs!

I must say that this is a brilliant program, actually. I have been doing DTP professionally for 2 years, and at an amateur level for 6, and I am very, very happy with the results that I quickly got with Keynote.

Needless to say, this will not replace the PS/IL/ID combination that I am used to, but for an $80 program, it kicks ass royally.
( Last edited by calverson; Nov 29, 2008 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Grammar, typos etc.)

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2008, 09:12 AM

You are in fact a very lucky person. You should thank your Mac for that. Imagine doing the presentation on a Windows box! *tan tan tannnn*

Anyways, I'm glad that you have found Keynote very useful. I use it on a monthly basis and have found it extremely user friendly and useful.

Cheers,
Hg+

shellyl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2008, 11:46 PM

To be fair, I'm not sure that it would have been any more a problem using Powerpoint on a PC.

The reasons that the images looked good was probably because of their original resolution, rather than anything that Keynote did. Having said that, when I have played with Keynote, it seems like a much nicer tool to use than Powerpoint (which I rarely use).

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2009, 01:02 AM

I don't know about you shellyl, but I have never found myself looking forward creating a Power Point presentation. On Keynote at least I have some fun doing work.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2009, 08:15 AM

What I find funny is that most Windows use think of Powerpoint when they need a DTP program.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2009, 10:13 AM

Powerpoint is the best selling layout application for the PC. It has the largest installed user base. And while it may be debatable, the skill to use Powerpoint is in every MS-Office user.

Please don't retort with it not being a professional application for print. It has MANY downfalls, including poor implementation clipping masks and transparency. I'm the first to suggest it for people who have NO design background simply for the fact they can place text and images and drag them around. THAT'S design for the common person, and it works. Powerpoint could provide stellar results but its really just a platform for the creative ability of its user.

Not that I WANT to use it, but it can get the job done with a little effort.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2009, 10:15 AM

On Keynote, it is indeed a much easier program to get good results from your images and content. The built-in OSX ability to create a PDF of your presentations is a bonus.

calverson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2009, 03:43 PM

Exactly

andi*pandi
Jan 12, 2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
I'm the first to suggest it for people who have NO design background simply for the fact they can place text and images and drag them around. THAT'S design for the common person, and it works.
Please don't. I get far too many "mockups" that are "design suggestions" done in powerpoint. I'd rather my project managers gave me word documents that explained what they wanted done, heck, MS PAINT, then have them waste time learning powerpoint, adding borders, hiding the text in the notes field or master page, etc.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2009, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
please don't.
qft

Forum Links
Forum Rules