Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mic (microphone) recommendations wanted

Mic (microphone) recommendations wanted
Cold Warrior
Nov 22, 2009, 02:14 PM

I don't know anything about mics; a friend needs one for quality sound recording.

The recording will be done from a MacBook or MBP. I don't know whether USB or line-in input is best. I assume GarageBand can handle it.

This is for non-professional use recording classical music performances by university students for future study or job applications (e.g., masters, doctoral applicants; faculty positions, etc.).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

fanchee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2009, 12:12 AM

I'm looking into getting a microphone myself and have just about decided on this one.

Reviews are good, and I've heard good things about Blue.

Good luck!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2009, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I don't know anything about mics; a friend needs one for quality sound recording.

The recording will be done from a MacBook or MBP. I don't know whether USB or line-in input is best. I assume GarageBand can handle it.

This is for non-professional use recording classical music performances by university students for future study or job applications (e.g., masters, doctoral applicants; faculty positions, etc.).
I'm by far not an expert, but I would say that most (semi-)professional mics don't come with either line nor USB connection, but with XLR.
As a result, the mic part is separated from the signal processing part.

I guess that's not very helpful, so you better wait for some qualified opinion from Spheric and the like.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2009, 06:52 AM

from what you write, it seems the mic will just be set up somewhere to document the auditions. Sound quality will not be so crucial for your purposes (or you'd have a sound tech do the miking, and he'd have his own ideas on the most appropriate setup).

Probably, any condensor mike will do just fine, and I'd have no qualms about getting a USB-connected one for this application, for simplicity's sake. Audio-technica, blue, and Samson come to mind, with Samson at the low end.

Xyphoid Process
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2009, 11:24 AM

The Shure SM-58 is the gold standard for professional performance and recording. It sits at the right price/quality point, is well-made and basically indestructible. It's an omnidirectional mike, which is what you'd want for recording groups. They are very widely used throughout the music industry and would be a great option.

Combine it with the XLR-USB adapter, and you get a complete kit for under $200:
Amazon.com: Shure SM58-X2U Cardioid Dynamic Microphone with X2U XLR-to-USB Signal Adapter: Musical Instruments

Unless money is a major issue, I don't see why it would make sense to go with a consumer-grade USB mike when the real deal is not too expensive. Other option would be to get a mixing board with USB out and multiple mikes in, but that makes things exponentially more complicated.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2009, 11:43 AM

The Shure SM-58 is neither omnidirectional, nor is it the "gold standard for professional recording".

It's a dynamic mic with cardioid characterstics, and it is NOT useful for recording acoustic instruments at a distance.

The SM-58 IS the "gold standard" for rock vocal stage performance. It's a basic staple in live rock PA. In other words, it's used for LOUD sources when nothing else is specified, or nothing more suitable is available.

It's the Technics 1210 MkII of microphones - truly excellent at a very limited number of things (mostly by virtue of being built like a tank), fairly adequate for many others, and utterly crap at high-quality reproduction (partly by virtue of being built like a tank).

This does not seem like a situation where those qualities are relevant.

Cold Warrior  (op)
Nov 25, 2009, 05:19 PM

thanks. I'll have some time over the holiday weekend to look into the models mentioned.

Forum Links
Forum Rules