Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod nano 1st gen: Apple replacement program

iPod nano 1st gen: Apple replacement program (Page 2)
Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
That's impossible! This thing looks like it uses one of the narrow-thin connectors, like with the iPod Touch. Doesn't it? Wouldn't the old cable supply the wrong signal?
? The iPod touch is compatible with the same cable as the original nano. They're interchangeable.

EDIT: Oh no way. Nevermind.

Whoa, it's 7.5 GB, compared to 2 GB for the old one. That's one hell of a replacement.

Also liking the radio, geez this thing is small
Yes, the smallest 6th gen nano is 8 GB.

I don't like its lack of buttons, but yeah, it's still one hell of a replacement.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
? The iPod touch is compatible with the same cable as the original nano. They're interchangeable.
Mine wasn't. The touch connector had more pins and was smaller.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2012, 05:14 PM

I got a new nano as my replacement. Old cable works with the new one.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2012, 05:15 PM

My Nano and Touch have the same connector, why would Apple use different connectors throughout their iPod line-up? I gotta call BS.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012, 06:46 PM

Well I always thought they did. Every time I got an iPod (had 4 of them before this one) I always had to use a new connector.
The iPod shuffle connector (audio plug) is not the same as the iPod nano connector (nano connector). The original iPod used a firewire cable. The iPod touch that I had was wider (more "teeth") than one of my previous connectors. So, I always need to ask which connector goes with which iPod. It's not BS.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2012, 09:09 PM

I thought you were talking about the sync cable...you never said you meant the headphone jack. I don't know if Apple changed it but thought they did do something to allow remotely controlling the iPod via controls on the headphone cord so you're probably right. I had this for an old minidisc player and although it had a funky connector to control the minidisc it also allowed for a normal set of headphones to be used (the remote control jack had extra pins but still had a 3.5mm TRS plug like a normal set of headphones). Like this:

Can't find a photo of the connector side of the Apple headphones with remote and mic...

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2012, 10:58 PM

Well I always thought they did. Every time I got an iPod (had 4 of them before this one) I always had to use a new connector.
The iPod shuffle connector (audio plug) is not the same as the iPod nano connector (nano connector). The original iPod used a firewire cable. The iPod touch that I had was wider (more "teeth") than one of my previous connectors. So, I always need to ask which connector goes with which iPod. It's not BS.
I own an iPhone 4, iPhone 3G, iPod mini, iPad 2, and iPod nano 6th generation. They all use the exact same cable, and the cables that came with all of them are all interchangeable. Hell, I don't even use an Apple cable with my iPhone 4. I use a 3rd party retractable cable that I got off eBay, originally for my iPod mini. And yes that also works with my iPod nano 6th gen, and the previous 1st gen, as well as the iPhone 3G and my iPad 2. Oh and I've plugged a friend's iPod touch into this computer too with my cables with no problems.

The only iPod I have which uses a different connector is my iPod shuffle.

If you can't plug in your iPod touch with your nano's cable, then ur doin it rong.

P
Jan 5, 2012, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Can't find a photo of the connector side of the Apple headphones with remote and mic...
It looks like a regular miniplug with an extra black band, further in from the other two. It's fully compatible with regular stereo miniplugs, backwards and forwards.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

maneval
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2012, 09:29 AM

Hi everyone!
I was wondering if somebody could write the address to use to send the box for nano replacement in the US. My box was thrown away with trash
I will try to send my nano shipping myself
Thanks for any advice
maneval

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by maneval View Post
I was wondering if somebody could write the address to use to send the box for nano replacement in the US. My box was thrown away with trash
I will try to send my nano shipping myself
Not a good idea. Call them.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2012, 12:29 PM

My car FM transmitter doesn't charge the new Nano, I bought a new case as my 1st gen Nano case obviously wouldn't fit, and the 6 Gen Nano is impossible to navigate without looking at it (the old Nano at least had FF and RW buttons). All in all it's nice but not an improvement over the 1st gen for me needs (e.g. listening to audio books and music in car).

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2012, 01:08 PM

Yep, gotta say the Nano is not designed for car use, unless your car has in-dash display and controls.

Without those, it's dangerous to use while driving.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2012, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Yep, gotta say the Nano is not designed for car use, unless your car has in-dash display and controls.

Without those, it's dangerous to use while driving.
Driving in DC I can drive with my knees and flip off a driver on each side. Of course you have to do the DC pre-driving middle finger stretches or you risk a nasty muscle pull.

I agree, the 6th gen Nano sucks for driving so I tend to listen to audio books or music without intervention. Plus it's too light and moves around a little too much for my liking.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2012, 12:45 PM

I just got mine... I managed to turn a 7 year old iPod that was sitting in the bottom of a drawer into a new 6th gen.

Not bad.

That said, I don't really like this form factor at all. If this was my only iPod it would drive me nuts. The screen is way too small to do a lot of touching on, the interface is clunky, it's too hard to change songs and navigate... it's just too small and awkward.

I like that it has a radio though... why doesn't the iPhone have a radio?
( Last edited by ort888; Feb 24, 2012 at 01:50 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2012, 02:02 AM

Maybe some sort of interference thing?

I got my replacement on Monday and a watch case (LunaTik). It's an okay iPod but great as a watch. I've been using it at work to listen to the morning radio.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2012, 07:31 AM

Found out recently you can "double-click" the power button to get the iPod to go to the next track...it won't turn the screen on if it's off, just go to next track.

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2012, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
\
I got my replacement on Monday and a watch case (LunaTik). It's an okay iPod but great as a watch. I've been using it at work to listen to the morning radio.
Just watch out when you're washing your hands or when you're around water: a lot of Nanos are destroyed that way...

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I just got mine... I managed to turn a 7 year old iPod that was sitting in the bottom of a drawer into a new 6th gen.

Not bad.
I concur 100%. I've used the new one more over this past weekend than I had used the old one in the last 2 years.
( Last edited by QSilver; Feb 27, 2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo)

Ham Sandwich
Mar 18, 2012, 06:09 PM

Well with regards to the new iPod, when it's connected to iTunes, I found a guaranteed way to crash iTunes, assuming that your iPod nano is set to sync automatically.

[1] Connect 6th-generation iPod nano.
[2] Let iTunes launch.
[3] Go into iTunes > Devices > (the iPod nano).
[4] Go to the Music tab.
[5] Uncheck the box "Include music videos."
[6] Click the Apply button.

Bam! Instant lock-up. 100% reproducable.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2012, 01:50 AM

The batteries in the 1st gen nanos are getting old:

iPod nano bursts into flames, costing Apple $7,400 | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News

and yes, the article has the wrong iPod pictured...no surprise there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules