Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB Remote For Mac

USB Remote For Mac
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2004, 08:03 AM

I currently have a machine set up as a stereo/tv/dvd player/divx player/NES etc. And I use a Keyspan DMR remote to control it. But I have to big problems with this remote. One is that is had no numbers on it, which makes using the TV very painful. The other problem is that it uses button batteries that cost $7 to replace, and they don't last very long at all. I need a different remote, one that takes normal batteries and has numbers! Oh wait whats this? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...atsmyipaddr-20 Perfect. Ugly, but perfect. Except it doesn't mention Macs anywhere. Anyone have any experience. Ideas. Insights.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2004, 03:54 PM

Can't you just get a plain-jane learning remote and teach it the Keyspan?

galarneau
Senior User
Sep 10, 2004, 04:19 PM

I have an ATI Remote Wonder that I bought on ebay for $20.

It has great Mac drivers and is very easy to use.

It also uses RF instead of infra-red, so you don't have to be in the same room to use it.

Check out ATI's site for more info. I highly recommend this product.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2004, 04:55 PM

I also use the ATI remote wonder and its great. I use it for every app I have and set many of the buttons to perform keystroke combinations like open and close windows but also to zoom in and out on the screen (so I can read IM's in bed and see what I'm typing). If you don't like buying from ebay, newegg.com sells it for 32 dollars and I love newegg.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2004, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by subego:
Can't you just get a plain-jane learning remote and teach it the Keyspan?
Do what?

Hmm I've never seen this ATI remote before, tell me more about it. Whats the software like, how does it work? The Keyspan one would let me set different actions for each button for each app and/or global actions. And an action could be a keystroke, mouse click, even an AppleScript, which was cool because I could use the applescripts to change the song on itunes without waking up the monitor.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2004, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
Do what?
They're also called "universal" remotes. They can copy whatever IR signal you throw at it. Any electronics store will have them in spades: Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc. I'd guess you could find one for $15, maybe cheaper.

They're designed to control your TV, DVD player, VCR, etc. all off of one remote. They come pre-programmed for gear from A/V manufacturers, but most also have a learning function in case your gear hasn't been pre-programmed into the remote.

[edits: fixed tags]
( Last edited by subego; Sep 10, 2004 at 06:16 PM. )

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2004, 05:45 PM

Hmmmm but I don't think they keyspan software would have the capacity to use other buttons, like the numbers etc, I'd be stuck with only the buttons that match the ones on the remote. So that would only solve one of the two probs. That ATi one seems interesting though.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2004, 06:18 PM

Hmmmm but I don't think they keyspan software would have the capacity to use other buttons, like the numbers etc

You're right. I missed the whole numbers issue when I first read your post.

Brian McHale
Sep 14, 2004, 11:26 AM

I'd like to know more on the ATI Remote Wonder:

I assume you're talking about the Remote Wonder and not the sequel, Remote Wonder II. Do you know what the range of the remote is? I'd like something that has a range similar to the Remote Wonder II, which is advertised as 60', but might be able to live with 30-40'.

Does anyone know if your can use a Remote Wonder II with a Mac? I couldn't find any hint that this will work with Macs, but they don't go out of their way to cater to the Mac audience.
Brian

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 01:01 PM

I can't comment on the Remote Wonder II's mac support but I have a friend that bought one and he says that it is just too large. It has a better button feel to most people but I don't mind the originals feel.

The wonder II is supposed to get much better range and I'm sure it does but it also involves a much larger base compared to the tiny one from the original.

My guess is that the software is the same for the II but I could be wrong. The origianl's software works well and installs as a pref pane. Most apps are preconfigured but you can add whatever you want.

PM me if you want some screen shots or app specific questions.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2004, 10:42 PM

Sure post some screen shots

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2004, 07:00 PM

I just ordered one from ebay. I hope its as good as it seems. I'm so sick of using a keyboard to change channels, its such a pain in the ass.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2004, 07:56 AM

I just ordered one from ebay. I hope its as good as it seems. I'm so sick of using a keyboard to change channels, its such a pain in the ass.
I'd love some real-world range info. This might have use if I can use it from 2 or 3 rooms away to control AirTunes.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2004, 01:08 PM

Mine hasn't arrived yet...

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2004, 03:12 PM

My powerbook is setup as a Stereo/DVD player/NES/Sega, etc.

After listening to suggestions from the thread, I bought the ATI remote wonder---Mac Edition for $30 at NewEgg. Arrived in two days. Previously i had owned a Keyspan. This is wonderful and exponentially better. No aiming---it's RF. And it is fully programmable. I have keys for rating my itunes, launching programs, and zooming in.

You have to see the power of this device. Wish the receiver were Bluetooth and it could also manipulate my TV like a universal remote but otherwise I love it.
Looking forward.

Brian McHale
Oct 4, 2004, 08:54 PM

I sent an e-mail to ATI asking about both Wonder Remotes. Here's their reply:

Unfortunately the Remote Wonder II is not available for
Mac as of yet. The Remote Wonder will work 30'

I would be interested in the device, but 30' just won't cut it for me. Wish it were Bluetooth, then I could use the long range Bluetooth receiver and get much better range.
Brian

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 11:17 PM

Yeah i was coming off a keyspan and my first response was, too many buttons i don't want it. But from the moment i opened it, i LOVED it. The only thing i like better about the keyspan is that its software would let you add applescript code directly to a button. The ATi doesn't have that. And I need an easy way to mark the "source" buttons more specifically to my needs. But I love the thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules