Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I need help backing up my DVDs

I need help backing up my DVDs
kayjayjohnson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2009, 02:58 PM

Hi. I'm trying to back up my kids movies so they don't destroy my originals. I have mactheripper 3.0 and Toast 9 titanium. I followed the directions and the disk will play on my computer but will not play on my DVD player. Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing a step? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

snackhound
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2009, 07:43 AM

Why dont you just use handbrake to convert the files to AVI or MPG4 and save them to a hardrive? Saves a lot of bother burning dvds.

Snax

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2009, 05:44 PM

I take it you are doing it this way not because you are backing up, but you want to give the kids DVD-R copies of movies so they can get scratched, or break, and you can just burn another copy.
The odd thing is you are doing exactly what I do. I use Mac The Ripper, but make sure you rip the full disc, not just the main feature. Then in toast, make sure you click on compress to fit on DVD.
I just did this to the first 16 James Bond DVDs just last month. Made a video_ts folder with MTR and then used Toast 7 (not even 9) to make a DVD from a video_ts folder. They all backed up just fine to single layer DVD-Rs. Could it be your are using DVD+R and your home DVD player is not able to play those?

Bravestarr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2009, 11:54 AM

There could be a lot more to it than that. Sometimes when you do a rip you get empty cells of 0MB size and zero duration, they will scupper your plans and MTR will not remove them.
Now in my top five apps of all time resides one called D-Tox, it's some of the best money I have spent. It'll give you the options to remove these cells, menus, subtitles or specific audio tracks and more. Give it a go. You won't be disappointed.

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2009, 05:47 PM

This new app rips dvds at an incredible rate, and the recent beta even removes the troublesome "zero cells" beautifully.
To burn a dvd from the output, open the package it creates, and drag the Video_TS folder to Toast using the DVD-ROM(UDF) format.

Bang, done.

RipIt

Bravestarr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2009, 01:20 AM

Ripit is good but I believe it's a one trick pony. If ever you want to do more than rip just the DVD, (mess about with menus and languages), then you may be found wanting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules