Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Everpix shuts down, goes read-only, offline by December 15

Everpix shuts down, goes read-only, offline by December 15
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 5, 2013, 03:04 PM

Everpix announced in late October that its picture hosting and sharing service would be switching to a read-only mode on November 5, and the service confirmed today that such remains the case. Citing difficulties in securing funding sufficient to scale its business, Everpix has entered its last days, with a final shutdown currently slated for December 15, 2013. The company is working on a system for users to retrieve their entire photo collection archives before that date, after which their Everpix accounts will become inactive.

As a result of the shutdown, the company's iOS and Android apps will no longer sync photos to Everpix collections. The apps have been removed from both app stores, and any functionality that requires access to the Everpix servers will be unavailable. The Mac and Windows uploaders will also be unable to sync photos to Everpix collections.

The team behind Everpix asks that users download what photos they need in the near future. Noting that the cost of running the service remains high, they ask that users save the service money and storage by manually deleting their accounts once they have downloaded all the needed photos.

Everpix subscribers will not have their subscriptions renewed. The company says that they will "refund every subscriber the cost of their subscription purchase pro-rated to the unused remaining period." The Everpix team hopes to have this process done by December 15, 2013, and they will be sending emails to paying subscribers detailing the process.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Nov 5, 2013 at 03:07 PM. )

makemineamac
Nov 5, 2013, 04:16 PM

A real shame. I subscribed after they sponsored DF. A really cool service.

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2013, 04:55 PM

yeah I really loved them too- Cool to see the "Flashback" emails show up every day.
I guess I'll move on to Picturelife (was trying it out at same time but now I guess the decision is made).

Goes to show that manual backups are the only real solid choice to preserve your pics indefinitely...

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2013, 07:59 PM

Too many competitors out there that cost nothing (with less features of course) to store photos. Investors refuse to fund them anymore due to that reason. Also Everpix spent lots of cash on their own salaries and product improvement but zero on marketing its products (no ads, no in-bound marketing...etc). On top of that, they relies on Amazon's server as their only cloud storage (currently they own Amazon $35,000 that they can't pay).
( Last edited by coffeetime; Nov 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules