Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My new mac, a buggy experience!My new mac, a buggy experience

My new mac, a buggy experience!My new mac, a buggy experience
pingvinen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2004, 06:25 PM

I started the mac, typed in my name and network info, I was prompted with an update dialogbox, updated the system, started GarageBand and Boom (as Steve like to say in (WWDC Keynote)) I got my first crash, something like, I don�t really remember, �The app has crashed� I could not do anything, had to reboot.

Okay okay okay.. I�ll give it another shoot, booted up tried to install some apps, many of them failed, �Could not find the file�.. I decided to reinstall Panther� After reinstall, everything ran smoothly for 4 hours, then, boom� Totally freeze, the sound was like �du du du du du du�� , mouse frozen and even the caps-lock would not turn on..

Rebooted, and the hard drive started to sound crazy, not loud, by like a DJ scratching the LP�s :/ okay� not good..

After the crash I ran the Apple Hardware Test CD, and there weren�t any bugs� so I rebooted into Mac OS X again.. But now, what is that? A weird little �wizzy� sound every second, sounds like it come from the Power Supply.. ?! Uhm..

And now when I Minimize or Maximize the windows, or scrolls through a mail with the scrollwheel, I get this �Whizzy� sound, not from the speakers but from something inside the computer�

Well and my Mic-In do not work at all :/

Have you experienced any problem like mine, or have any idea how to fix �em, I�m going crazy, with this weird �wizzy� sound everything I minimize a app into my dock.
( Last edited by pingvinen; Jul 22, 2004 at 06:58 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2004, 07:05 PM

Bummer, I'm sorry you're having trouble with your new Mac. It would help us if you could be a little more specific, though. Are we talking about a G5? Where did you purchase it from? You should be aware of the fact that the Apple Store supposedly provides a ten day return policy. If there is a hardware problem and you don't act fast, Apple will tell you ridiculously to send your brand new machine in for servicing. So get on the ball, good luck.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2004, 07:07 PM

Sounds like some bum ram or something. If I were you I'd exercise that return/exchange policy right now
Aloha

pingvinen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2004, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Sounds like some bum ram or something. If I were you I'd exercise that return/exchange policy right now
i bought it from www.caslon.dk - an apple reseller in Denmark
It's a Dual G5 1.8GHz

The ram? But the Apple hardware test, tested the RAM, and no problems?

Can i return when i bought from a apple reseller?

cal6n
Jul 23, 2004, 06:08 AM

I've had RAM pass the hardware test but fail in real use. It might be worth ejecting and re-inserting the RAM "quite firmly" a couple of times. This worked with my G4 1.25 DP.
G5LC, 6 GB 1.07 TB 6800 GT & 30" (Workhorse)
1.4 GHz Cube 512 MB 60 GB (headless folding)
15" 1.67 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 100 GB (VJ rig 1 & Uni)
15" 1 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 60 GB (VJ rig 2)
G4 800 MHz Ti PB, 512 MB 60 GB (Lounge)

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 09:48 AM

So buggy, the title was posted twice!

sith33
Jul 23, 2004, 11:40 AM

The harddisk making the scratchy scratchy sound means your harddisk is dieing. Period. Sounds like this computer has a bunch of issues though - you need to get in touch with apple ASAP, probably to see about a complete replacement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules