Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Manufacturers: Asus(macbook) vs Honhai(MBP)?

Manufacturers: Asus(macbook) vs Honhai(MBP)?
tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2006, 09:58 AM

So with the release of the new macbooks, which seem generally like a hit except for the GMA950 - people are reporting solid build quality, nice screens, etc ,etc at least with the demo models in the stores, I was wondering if there was any difference between different apple suppliers. AFAIK, the macbooks are built by asustek in Taiwan which is generally a well regarded company by most PC homebuilders and modders for mobo's and graphics cards that stand up really well to overclocking and such. The MBP's on the other hand I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) are made by honhai, which has manufacturing plants in Shanghai....could it be that the macbooks themselves are made by a more reputable manufacturer?

Given my experiences w/ asustek so far (I don't overlock but my nforce2 and geforce 6600gt from them are pretty solid), I'd be more inclined to just have them build everything...

pete
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 10:21 AM

I think you're right. The downward spiral in quality started when Apple transferred the manufacturing of their powerbooks to the Chinese mainland. The Taiwan-built laptops were more consistently of a higher quality.

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
May 17, 2006, 10:40 AM

While the above arguments are valid I would also think the MacBook Pro is built to a much more demanding spec with lower tolerances. In other words, it's alot easier to screw up building a MacBook Pro vs. a MacBook. Combine that with a less reputable manufacturer and you get issues.

But it has only been a day...

sllowry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 02:13 AM

Mmm...if all this is true, I really think I made too fast a step in purchasing MBP 15" last month.

My first laptop is ASUS S5200N. Yes, it's pretty good and solid. The only problem I had was with its external combo drive, which Asus replaced about 3 times during the 2 year warranty. Besides that I think I had pretty good ASUS experience.

Being from Taiwan I am pleased to hear these opinions, but at the same time I wonder if I'll trust Honhai's manufacturing quality. That is, for Apple hardware of course.
Refuse to be Average
MBP 15" 2.0GHz, 2GB Ram, OS X 10.4.6

tycheung  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2006, 07:12 AM

then again, macnn explodes my theory this morning with the digitimes article about asus making this in their suzhou plant. oh well. maybe asus has tighter QA specs than honhai...who knows....

Forum Links
Forum Rules