Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Enhanced Optimized

Enhanced Optimized (Page 25)
BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2008, 11:45 PM

SSE 4.1 and SSE 4.2 (Core 7i) do not add a lot of new instructions, but they likely would help those processors with them. All new processors have the preceding SSE code still there to use so you won't lose that, just whatever small improvements the few extra functions that SSE 4.1 and 4.2 could benefit from. Most of the rest of the code likely uses some SSE 3 and older code that is not superseded by newer instructions.

So my take is it would be nice to get those extra little gains, but the difference may be somewhat minimal. I have no access to a SSE 4.1 chip running both clients in Windows so I can't say for sure. It may provide more of a boost than I think as some instructions are for memory handling and vector computation.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2008, 11:57 PM

It has been proven that the SEEE3 and SEE4.1 work best on different angles of the work. If we could only set them so the most efficient app crunched each work unit. But that will not happen, so we will just have to use what we have.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2008, 01:52 AM

I have done a little work and combined the Alex Kan apps with Dotsch' AP 5.00 app into one package with an updated app_info file
( Last edited by arkayn; Feb 11, 2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: New version coming soon.)

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2008, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by arkayn View Post
I have done a little work and combined the Alex Kan apps with Dotsch' AP 5.00 app into one package with an updated app_info file
Thanks Arkayn. That really helps a lot for my Mac Mini coreduo and iMac 3.06 core2duo. I see you also posted combined versions for Windows as well, including the Win64 version for SSE 4.1. That will work nicely on my core i7.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2008, 02:43 AM

And linux as well.

Of course I am not running AP on my iMac or the desktop for the moment. Still waiting for that last AP unit to finally clear out of my pending cache. It just went out to the 5th person since the 4th looks like they stopped crunching.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2008, 04:42 AM

And linux as well.

Of course I am not running AP on my iMac or the desktop for the moment. Still waiting for that last AP unit to finally clear out of my pending cache. It just went out to the 5th person since the 4th looks like they stopped crunching.
Yeah I noticed that you got linux in there also. The packages worked fine.

The bad thing about SETI is how long it takes to get work units to clear sometimes. I just had a couple from the October clear recently.

kennet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2008, 06:20 AM

I noticed that when my computer started an Astropulse work unit, that the graphics for that task was displayed. Does anyone know if someone is working on an enhanced Astropulse that does not display graphics?

Arkayn, thanks for your efforts with the combined downloads with Alex's version(s).

Kenn
[FONT="Book Antiqua"]What is left unsaid: is neither heard nor heeded.[/FONT]

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2008, 08:29 AM

Crunch3r did the first optimized version for Mac, but he has been having problems with the Linux builds and most likely will not do a Mac version until after he get them done.

Billy
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2008, 09:22 AM

Thanks for doing this. On my Core Duo iMac, I am running the 4.28 version of AP. How does this compare to the 5.00? Also in the Readme Folder/ Readme Astropulse, it says "Should run on MacOS 10.4.x and 10.5.x on PowerPC Mac's". Shouldn't that be Intel Macs, or is this not for my computer?

Gareth Johnston
Dec 22, 2008, 12:59 PM

Billy, you need to update, any units you do with 4.28 wil not validate.
Mac Pro 2.8GHz x 8, 10GB, 320HDD etc.........
Saving for 32 core Mac Pro. Only £1376.93 to go.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2008, 01:06 PM

I just copied the readme into the folder so there was installation instructions there, I don't think I read that part. The 4.28 is what Crunch3r based his work on but it validated against the newer stuff.

Now we have to use the 5.00 version as that is all that validates in the system.

Gecko_r7
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2008, 06:03 PM

Optimized Astropulse 5.00 for Mac OSX (Intel) based computers.

Hi Everyone,

A SETI@Home Astropulse optimized application has been released.

This release offers significantly improved performance for SSE3 capable computers running on Intel-based Mac OSX.

Here are individual links for all the initial release builds:

Intel-Mac OSX Science App:

Mac OSX (Intel) SSE3 Compatible Science App:
Intended for Intel CPUs, running Mac OSX that have SSE3 capability.

Mac OSX (Intel) Astropulse v5.0_SSE3 (Intel-ONLY)

NOTE: The Mac package includes a folder w/ pre-made app_info.xml “combo” files for use w/ multi-beam AK_v8 science applications for Core, Core2 or Core2/Quad-based Xeon processors.

Known issues:
- There is no support for CPUs below SSE3 capability.
- Borderline OC'ers be aware that you may need to back off to maintain stability, the increased throughput of this application will stress all system components more.
- As Always, use these apps AT YOUR OWN RISK.

And most Importantly of all:
Several people have helped make this build possible. First and foremost, Raistmer, Crunch3r & Jason G for leading this effort!!!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 2009!!!

Regards,
Gecko

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2008, 07:58 PM

Now that there is a optimized app for the Intel processors I have recompiled those packages to incorporate the new files.
( Last edited by arkayn; Feb 11, 2009 at 12:11 AM. Reason: New versions coming out soon.)

Lauger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2008, 02:48 PM

I downloaded and installed the AP client (Thanks Arkayn!). First 2 AP units failed with the same type of error codes. See this link. Anyone else having this issue? I updated to the new version that was published yesterday, but haven't had any new work units yet.
17" MBP 2.16 gHz; 2GB

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2008, 11:55 PM

I also had the first two AP units I tried fail.
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/resul...tid=1091949303
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/resul...tid=1093419139

Seems at a quick glance to be the same type of error.

beadman

Gecko_r7
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2008, 11:48 AM

@ Beadman: Which astropulse application are you running? The ported "stock" one provided by Dotsch or the new optimized one released on the 24th?

My first 2 results running Opt AP app on my trusty iMac 2.0Ghz T7200:
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/resul...tid=1100115454
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/resul...tid=1100114229

First one validated & granted credit per normal.
2nd WU ran normally & pending results from wingman.

Is anyone else running the new optimized ap having problems?
Again, the optimized version is the one I posted here a few days ago.

If so, please sign-up on forum & open a thread here:
http://lunatics.kwsn.net/index.php

We need to know any issues/problems w/ app crashing, early exits or invalid results.
Keep in mind that the current Cuda issues could pair your valid results against 2 invalid Cuda results & therefore grant you no credit. Watch any "0 credit" results closely to see if you had Cuda wingmen.

Thanks gents
( Last edited by Gecko_r7; Dec 28, 2008 at 11:55 AM. )

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2008, 12:55 PM

That looks like a stock version as it does not list the other info in there, now that I have seen what an optimized output looks like.

I will enable AP on the Mac for a little bit and see how mine will do.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2008, 11:02 PM

I was running the version posted by Arkayn on Dec 14 (above). MacBookPro T7700 with 4 GB RAM, (Core2Duo). OS X 10.4.11., BOINC 6.2.18

beadman

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2008, 11:31 PM

Did you install the newest version?

Lauger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2009, 09:22 PM

( Last edited by Lauger; Jan 2, 2009 at 10:53 PM. )

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2009, 10:23 AM

Downloaded and installed the Dec. 24 version of the AP app. Have completed three WU so far, and all three indicate success, although all three are still pending... MBP C2D 2.4GHz T7700 OS X 10.4.11, BOINC 6.2.18. Each took approximately 84K CPU-sec

beadman

Alx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2009, 10:58 AM

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is any chance to get a client running on iPhone.
Is someone already working on it?
Is there any incompatibility?

I know that the iPhone is really not at all the perfect platform to run such software, but I'm interesting by porting seti@home (or any distributed computing software) on iPhone, so I've a lot of questions before starting this project.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Best regards,
Alx

Elphidieus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2009, 09:55 AM

Just curious, for those of you running SETI@home on Leopard, how did you guys manage to address the sluggishness on overall OS X performances when all your processing cores are dedicated to Seti...?

I'm stuck with Tiger because of this issue, and Snow Leopard which is supposed to bring in performance enhancements and stability doesn't do good either.

I'm aware of Leopard's lack of "nice"ness issue pertaining process priorities.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2009, 01:05 PM

I have no sluggishness on my iMac, it works perfectly fine and maintains a RAC of 1600.

Elphidieus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2009, 01:19 PM

I have both Mac Pros Clovertown and Harpertown, both displaying choppy effects on Expose, Dashboard, and Spaces. Spotlight is close to unusable. These happens only with all 8 cores allocated to SETI (or any other BOINC projects). However sluggishness is unnoticeable if they are set to crunch on 7 cores or less.

Gareth Johnston
Jan 12, 2009, 02:04 PM

There is something wrong with your systems, not Seti.

I had Seti running full time on 8 cores for 4 months without any lagging.

If you have any third party extensions or plug-ins, they are more likely to be the cause of the problem.

Elphidieus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2009, 02:14 PM

Nope, I'm not saying SETI has problems.... because I had the same problems with Einstein on both systems as well. What are the chances of both systems of different configurations with a clean-installed Leopard suffering from sluggishness on 8-cores crunching but not 7 or less..? That doesn't happen on Tiger on my Clovertown, though there's no way to have Tiger on a Harpertown-based MP. So it's not a BOINC problem, but more on Leopard itself.

gorbag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2009, 11:22 PM

I've seen this too. I set my preferences for SETI to sleep when I'm active, so I don't have a problem while I'm using the machine. It hurts my RAC somewhat when I'm using my machine for a 10-12 hour day, but at least I can then run virtual machines, etc. without everything slowing to a crawl. It does seem to be particular to Leopard, though I didn't really notice it as significant until I started using Parallels on a regular basis.
--
Gorbag ("Beren" in Boinc)

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2009, 05:01 PM

Optimized Astropulse 5.00 for Mac OSX (Intel) based computers
Updated 1.24.09 w/ newer version r103

Intel-Mac OSX Science App:

Mac OSX (Intel) SSE3 Compatible Science App:
Intended for Intel CPUs, running Mac OSX that have SSE3 capability.

Combined packages are here.
( Last edited by arkayn; Feb 11, 2009 at 12:06 AM. Reason: New versions coming out)

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2009, 10:40 AM

Optimized Astropulse 5.00 for Mac OSX (Intel) based computers
Updated 1.24.09 w/ newer version r103

http://www.arkayn.us/seti/
What sort of performance improvement are you seeing with the newest version?

beadman

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2009, 12:55 PM

I installed the new version right when I was already 6 & 5 hours in on some AP units. My time with r84 was right around 28 hours. These 2 units finished at 24.5 and 24 respectively.

I am thinking that it might do around 20 hours on a full run.

r103 lopped off 6 hours on the PC(2.33).

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2009, 02:30 PM

Thanks, arkayn, I'll give it a try on my MBP. Also, thanks for putting together the packages for us!

beadman

Elphidieus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2009, 12:31 PM

I installed the new version right when I was already 6 & 5 hours in on some AP units. My time with r84 was right around 28 hours. These 2 units finished at 24.5 and 24 respectively.

How do you upgrade the optimised AP client without having to screw up the BOINC ownership permission and lose all those downloaded AP WU altogether...?

Every time I perform an upgrade to the optimised clients, I had to reinstall BOINC Manager and lose all unfinished WUs.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2009, 08:39 PM

You should not lose anything, I never have at all. I have even installed 6.5.0 to test something and then went back to 6.2.18 and my work stayed just fine.

Do you have everything in the default place?

Elphidieus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2009, 10:47 PM

Upgrading/downgrading to different versions of BOINC Manager is fine... It's just the problem of upgrading SETI/AstroPulse clients that's screwing up BOINC ownership which requires a reinstallation of BOINC Manager to restore permission. At this point, all previously unfinished WUs will be lost.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2009, 12:19 AM

I have never had that problem on my machines, and I have changed apps in mid crunch plenty of times.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2009, 07:53 PM

Me too! When I upgraded the AP app a few days ago, I turned off Boinc, did the upgrade, pulled the 6.2.18 Install out of my downloads folder, reinstalled it to fix the permissions, restarted BOINC, and everything worked fine - no loss of WU.

New Subject: The updated AP app is finally running - had to work my cache down... So far it's 5% complete at 92 minutes CPU time which works out to a bit over 30 hours... The December 24 version I tried was coming in at roughly 24 hours per WU...

beadman

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2009, 04:54 PM

Finally received an AP WU and finished it.
Here's the results, compared to a selection of the standard SETI WUs, all on a MBP T7700 2.4 GHz 4GB RAM OS X 10.4.11, BOINC 6.2.18:

CPUSEC Credits CPUSec/Credit (lower is better)
72629 749.85 96.9 AP WU
953 14.23 67.0
2711 25.40 106.7
4013 44.84 89.5
4905 53.9 91.0

So, except for those little 14+ credit ones, the new AP optimized is right in the middle of the range. Thanks to all concerned for the increase in performance.

beadman
( Last edited by beadman; Jan 29, 2009 at 08:52 PM. )

Elphidieus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2009, 04:39 AM

Running optimised AP rev 103 on both MP Xeon.

My 2.8GHz Harpertown trounced my 3.0GHz Clovertown by a heavy margin:

Task ID on Clovertown

Task ID on Harpertown

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2009, 01:42 PM

I have noticed times all over the place with the r103 version, it might have something to do with the radar blanking going on.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2009, 12:07 AM

New optimized app coming soon, stay tuned for more....

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2009, 12:15 PM

New optimized app coming soon, stay tuned for more....
Are you referring to Astropulse v5?

Elphidieus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2009, 12:40 PM

I would love to see a new optimised app for SETI instead. V8 has be released for over a year now, and there hasn't been any word from Alex ever since...

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2009, 09:28 PM

Yes, I am referring to v5.

I deleted all the links to my apps as they are offline until the new release it out.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2009, 01:22 AM

Now that Dotsch has released the AP v5 application I can get PPC machines rolling with the full combined package.

This contains the AK V8 app for Multibeam, the AP 5.0 and the new AP v5 app with a app_info.xml file.

G4 Macs

G5 Macs

Intel Macs will be coming as soon as the optimized app is released.

Gareth Johnston
Feb 21, 2009, 08:03 PM

You will also find our V8 is about 20% slower than the PC mod the guys made.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2009, 06:23 PM

And they are released to the public.

Gareth Johnston
Mar 5, 2009, 08:13 AM

Arkayn, have you actually ran any of the apps?

Because they are taking twice as long as Windows machines.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2009, 08:32 AM

Nope, I am not doing AP on my little iMac as it mostly likely would take 2 days for one of them on it.

Gareth Johnston
Mar 5, 2009, 01:39 PM

I'm not going to bother with Seti anymore. To much bollocks going on and thats just the testing and progression of the apps. I notice you have vanished from MilkyWay?

Forum Links
Forum Rules