Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Use my MacBook camera as a security camera?

Use my MacBook camera as a security camera?
MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Aug 11, 2007, 01:18 AM

I am about 99% sure that my cleaning lady has stolen a pair of my very nice sunglasses. Any sort of item like that is in the same room as my laptop. I would like to turn the camera on and record while she is in there and then view it later to see if she snoops around while cleaning.

Is iMovie my best option for recording this? I also have an app called FreakShow, which is like a crazier version of PhotoBooth.

....I am bummed about these sunglasses. I take care of my things, and THIS #**(# THINKS THAT IT'S OK TO TAKE THEM FROM ME?!?!?

malone
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by MOTHERWELL View Post
I am about 99% sure that my cleaning lady has stolen a pair of my very nice sunglasses. Any sort of item like that is in the same room as my laptop. I would like to turn the camera on and record while she is in there and then view it later to see if she snoops around while cleaning.

Is iMovie my best option for recording this? I also have an app called FreakShow, which is like a crazier version of PhotoBooth.

....I am bummed about these sunglasses. I take care of my things, and THIS #**(# THINKS THAT IT'S OK TO TAKE THEM FROM ME?!?!?
Howdy. I had a similar experience many years back. Nothing was being stolen, but my place would look slightly different after returning home everyday. I suspected that my landlady was doing coming in and doing, well, something.

Back then, I had a PC, but I remember having motion surveillance software for my webcam.

Anyways, I think something like these might do the trick for you on the Mac:
SecuritySpy
Boinx iVeZeen - Home

Really, anything that has recording-when-motion-detected will work.

Also, check out:
Macworld: Secrets: Geek Factor

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2007, 04:14 AM

Be sure to check it's legal. In many countries it's illegal to use surveillance cameras w/o informing the people you are observing in advance. This is especially important when you are observing people at work.

If the recording isn't legal it won't do you much good because you won't be able to use it as evidence in court.

wilsonng
Senior User
Aug 12, 2007, 06:51 AM

i was looking at this SecuritySpy a little while ago. it would certainly be interesting enough...

SecuritySpy 1.4.1 - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

SecuritySpy

multiple cameras, motion detection, time lapse, viewing the camera over the internet....

Not associated with these guys but it certainly sounds interesting enough.

the versiontracker.com comment seems to be positive....

i'm thinking of getting this as well...... The price seems steeper than the Boinx program but appears to be more powerful.
( Last edited by wilsonng; Aug 12, 2007 at 07:02 AM. )
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Aug 12, 2007, 01:37 PM

I got EvoCam, which is nice and easy to use. I only wanted to record in my private residence.

I would like to get a remote, quicktime capable camera for a window - my car has been broken into twice....most likely by the same person.

tintin220
Aug 12, 2007, 04:56 PM

Well, even if it's not legal without informing them, I don't think that applies here if you are recording your home. After all, you could just say that it was a security precaution.
♥ PowerBook G4 1.67 15" / Silver 2G iPod Nano

Forum Links
Forum Rules