Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > HD-DVD /Blu-Ray in Notebook?

HD-DVD /Blu-Ray in Notebook?
Felix
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2007, 06:15 AM

Hi

I would like to get an idea whether an internal high-definition drive is something realistic in the near future.

I have seen Sony VAIOs equiped with such.

What is realistic and worth waiting/obtaining? HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, Combo?

Would those drives also burn such discs?

Is a HDMI-port a necessity then? (BTW - what about eSATA, is this an option or is FW800 the way to go?)

Kind regards

Felix
2007 MacBook Pro 2.4 4 GByte RAM 320/7000 HD
2000 Powerbook Pismo G3 500 MHz, 640 MByte RAM, 40 GByte HD, Airport, NewerTech Battery, integrated DVD/CD-R(W) running Mac OS 10.4.11

PaperNotes
Aug 21, 2007, 07:06 AM

Not until the middle of 2008 at least. They'll be Blu-ray drives. The cost right now is far too high even as a BTO option. Also Apple wants to make sure Apple TV is a success for downloading movies to so they're going to take their sweet time before they start officially building next gen drives in Macs.

ibook_steve
Aug 21, 2007, 01:23 PM

The Paramount announcement yesterday of HD-DVD only just complicates matters even more. Apple usually takes the stance of letting the others sort it out and then implementing the best technology. However, Apple does support Blu-Ray at this point. If hybrid Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drives come down the line, that's what Apple would probably implement.

Steve

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2007, 07:14 PM

Bluray (and I think also HD DVD) laptop drives have been available for a while; Apple could drop them in any time they want.

Yes, the computer BR/HD drives generally (all?) also burn disks.

HDMI is not needed. eSATA is possible, but unlikely; Apple doesn't seem interested in it for low cost, high performance storage.

wilsonng
Senior User
Aug 21, 2007, 10:32 PM

Adoption by the general public might be slower thanks to the HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray format wars. Apple wouldn't be putting Blu-Ray drives into the iMacs and MacBooks immediately unless they could secure some great deals with the manufacturers.

The price of blanks are also not targeted for the general public or mass adoption yet.

Apple would probably put Blu-Ray into the high end Mac Pros first since they would generally by targeting folks who would benefit the most. These are the folks who need high capacity storage.... But with the cheap cost of hard drives, i'm not sure how it would fit in as a storage medium unless blanks were to drop considerably in price.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

kill bill
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2007, 04:23 AM

also, the proliferation of downloading is such that these new formats might not take off as quickly as the dvd or cd did. There so much of a bootlegging industry in play that its really a 3 way format war. When they figure out how to rip blu-rays, its over.

wilsonng
Senior User
Aug 25, 2007, 02:42 AM

well, prices dropped a little for external Blu-Ray drives.

IGM: OWC slims Blu-ray prices

Would there be a reason for you to want internal Blu-Ray in your laptop?

If it's just a way to show off to your friends that you can play Blu-Ray movies, I'd have to call this feature a yawner..... We can always play DVD movies since every movie that gets released in Blu-Ray/HD-DVD is also available in DVD format. The movie's extra features are the icing on the cake but not really needed.

I can also download movies from the iTunes Music Store or rip my personal DVD collection and play it on my hard drive either as an mp4 or VIDEO_TS folder.

If you're burning more than 8 GBs of data on to a Blu-Ray DVD blank, the cost of blanks are still too expensive to be a cost-effective form of data storage on the road. Better to buy an external hard drive... The cost per GB will be much cheaper.

I would rather wait for Blu-Ray to start achieving market saturation and get sale prices down to reasonable consumer levels. This is like the early days of DVDs.... I remembered a 1x DVD burner for $1,000 and blanks were $5 to $10 each.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Super Mario
Aug 25, 2007, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by kill bill View Post
also, the proliferation of downloading is such that these new formats might not take off as quickly as the dvd or cd did. There so much of a bootlegging industry in play that its really a 3 way format war. When they figure out how to rip blu-rays, its over.
Can't see it. On torrent sites all the HD movie rips as so large I can't imagine anyone with a laptop hard drive having that many movies. It would take too long to download them and too much hassle to have such large data files filling up hard drives. It won't be as much as DVD piracy which is like on average 800MB divx files.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:53 PM. )

Super Mario
Aug 25, 2007, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
I would rather wait for Blu-Ray to start achieving market saturation and get sale prices down to reasonable consumer levels. This is like the early days of DVDs.... I remembered a 1x DVD burner for $1,000 and blanks were $5 to $10 each.
Naw man talk about stating the obvious.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:53 PM. )

auxlepli
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2007, 07:49 PM

I wouldn't get either one for the reasons listed at this site.
http://bluraysucks.com/boycott

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2007, 08:43 PM

found this but its tray loading and 12.5mm so two strikes against getting this in a 15" mbp

HD-DVD for laptop

PaperNotes
Sep 8, 2007, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by thetman View Post
found this but its tray loading and 12.5mm so two strikes against getting this in a 15" mbp

HD-DVD for laptop
Must have been taken out of an ugly Toshiba.

Forum Links
Forum Rules