Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > When do you "need" an external keyboard?

When do you "need" an external keyboard?
MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2007, 02:39 PM

I have an MBP and I've been thinking about getting the newest Apple keyboard because my posture sucks when I have it all the way at the back of my desk, and when I pull it closer to correct my posture, the screen feels too close. It's a difference of about 5-6 inches. If I pull the laptop all the way forward (another foot or so) the screen is right in my face, so I'd rather not.

Those of you with PBs/MBPs, what made you get an external keyboard? My friend reasons that it's not worth the 50 dollar investment since the laptop already has a great keyboard. But I'm feeling that it would be easier to sit straight on the chair instead of leaning in all the time. Thanks.
iamwhor3hay

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2007, 02:46 PM

When I'm on a desk doing extended amounts of work. The keyboard on the laptop, while good, isn't exactly ergonomically designed. I do massive amounts of typing, so investing in an external keyboard (an ergonomic one, at that) is a must for me.

I find that at the price range Apple is asking for its keyboards, I would rather much go with Logitech's or Microsoft's offerings.

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2007, 02:49 PM

Wow. Sorry.. I don't have 360 dollars for a keyboard. But boy that looks nice. Haha.
iamwhor3hay

Cold Warrior
Sep 23, 2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable View Post
Those of you with PBs/MBPs, what made you get an external keyboard?
When I got an external monitor. Now when at my desk for long periods, I fold up my MBP and connect an external mouse and keyboard to go with my 20" LCD.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2007, 08:30 PM

my setup includes a laptop elevator and an external display and i dual display all the time when im at my desk. typing on the elevator makes my mbp shake and is hard on the eyes that close, an so i bought the new apple kb and a logitech trackball. had a mighty mouse but the nipple kept getting to clogged to function. i really enjoy the new wired apple kb. having two usb 2.0 ports right in front has been helpful to say the least.

Alex

Warbrain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2007, 08:36 PM

I use one when I'm at work with absolutely nothing to do so that I can prop my feet up and keep the computer on the desk that I use.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2007, 03:28 AM

I use external keyboards when I'm at a desk, have my MBP attached to a large screen and want to work in closed-lid mode.

This guy needs an external keyboard because he removed the internal one to mount a USB-powered fan.

Rig of the Week: PowerBook with USB cooling fan - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2007, 03:38 AM

I, on the other hand, bought a nice 800¥ keyboard for my Macbook Pro. My hands are very acidic, and wear down plastics and metals faster than most people.

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2007, 03:59 PM

I think I am getting one soon, just because my posture sucks so much. Now off to the Consumer Hardware forum!!
iamwhor3hay

EndlessMac
Senior User
Sep 25, 2007, 02:42 AM

I have an MBP and I've been thinking about getting the newest Apple keyboard because my posture sucks when I have it all the way at the back of my desk, and when I pull it closer to correct my posture, the screen feels too close. It's a difference of about 5-6 inches. If I pull the laptop all the way forward (another foot or so) the screen is right in my face, so I'd rather not.

Those of you with PBs/MBPs, what made you get an external keyboard? My friend reasons that it's not worth the 50 dollar investment since the laptop already has a great keyboard. But I'm feeling that it would be easier to sit straight on the chair instead of leaning in all the time. Thanks.
I would prefer to get an external monitor rather than an external keyboard. I really like the keyboard on my PowerBook so getting an external keyboard for it would feel like a downgrade to me. It would cost more to do so but if I'm home I prefer using the larger screen of an external monitor anyway.

Something else you can try is tilting the screen back more to the point where it's almost flat. That helps me sometimes when I feel the screen is too close.

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2007, 03:18 AM

I live in a dorm so although I have a pretty big desk, an external monitor is out of the question. i have tried every possible position and nothing works. i like the powerbook keyboard too, i'm about 30 wpm faster on the laptop than on the external apple keyboard in the store, but my elbows are in pain from the keyboard being so far away.
iamwhor3hay

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2007, 04:35 AM

Ok, seriously guys. A USB keyboard is like what? $10? Just buy one.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2007, 07:11 AM

It's not worth $50. It is however worth the $25-$30 that it will cost to get a nice USB keyboard. Buying apple keyboards and mice is never a good value. I use an external keyboard and mouse, I can't imagine having to use the trackpad and built in keyboard at my desk.

OreoCookie
Sep 25, 2007, 07:57 AM

You should not get a $10 keyboard, they are a heap of junk. Invest at least $20-30 for a nice(r) keyboard. It doesn't have to be Apple or anything fancy, a plain Cherry USB keyboard is a big improvement over $10 keyboards.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2007, 10:54 AM

are there any other keyboards with usb ports? i don't have any left (i mean, we're only given two!), which is why i am mainly condering the apple and macally keyboards. considering it is hard to find macally keyboards to type on, it's probably apple for me.
iamwhor3hay

OreoCookie
Sep 25, 2007, 11:31 AM

Matias sells a keyboard for $30 with a USB 2.0 hub and three connectors: one on the top and two in the back. You can order it in black and white.

Or you could also get a USB hub separately and buy one of these.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2007, 05:34 PM

i couldn't stand it anymore. i went and got an apple keyboard at the bookstore. i do not regret it at all. i am so much more relaxed. i was down to the apple keyboard and the microsoft ergonomic keyboard which was 10 dollars more expensive than the apple. the simple but surprisingly comfortable design with usb ports eventually won me over.
iamwhor3hay

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2007, 10:42 PM

...what made you get an external keyboard?
It is simply a matter of personal preference like matte versus glossy, mouse versus touch pad.

-Allen Wicks

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 26, 2007, 05:32 PM

how about using a silicon keyboard protector? I had to try several to find one that I liked. Some are a little thicker than others and sometimes interefered too much with my typing.

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
I, on the other hand, bought a nice 800¥ keyboard for my Macbook Pro. My hands are very acidic, and wear down plastics and metals faster than most people.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2007, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
how about using a silicon keyboard protector? I had to try several to find one that I liked. Some are a little thicker than others and sometimes interefered too much with my typing.
I do have one. A nice iSkins protector that I do enjoy. In fact I had one on my old powerbook as well. (not just for my fingers, my apartment gets super dusty super fast)

I do enjoy having a slightly bigger keyboard as well as the ability to sit back a bit from my computer. Plus you sometimes need a key pad.... (for games)

For 800¥ this keyboard was quite the deal. Even if its the Japanese layout... so now that I have my computer set up for the US layout many of the keys are different from whats printed on them. It screws with people when they try and use it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2007, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
It's not worth $50. It is however worth the $25-$30 that it will cost to get a nice USB keyboard. Buying apple keyboards and mice is never a good value. I use an external keyboard and mouse, I can't imagine having to use the trackpad and built in keyboard at my desk.
The new wired keyboard is one of the nicest keyboards I have used in a while, FWIW.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2007, 12:17 PM

There's a great keyboard discussion at macintouch.com which includes a link to what sounds like a great illuminated USB keyboard.

Deck Backlit Keyboards

Never having had an illuminated keyboard, it sounds great. Expensive, but neat. The Rolls Royce of keyboards.

Something for everyone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules